Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you see yourself in your relationship with your pet
Owner/Master 15 27.78%
Parent 33 61.11%
I am at his or her beck and call 2 3.70%
He or she is my accessory 0 0%
Other 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this when I was walking my dog today. I suppose some people have different mentalities regarding their pet. I suppose some consider themselves the "Master/Owner", others consider themselves the "Parent", some consider their dogs 'an accessory', and others "only work to make their dogs happy".

I think of myself as the parent since I feel he is a part of the family and not just 'an animal'. However, I don't cater to him with every little whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
My dogs have always been like family to me. I remember visiting my family over in CA and introducing my dogs to my nieces as "their cousins". Sometimes, I refer to myself as their dog goddess, giver of all good things.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
My dogs are my puppy uppies! I sing to them.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
I'm with you on that...every kid needs discipline, furry and human alike, but as long as the corrections are done with love and respect, you almost can't go wrong. It's more of a disservice to them if we cater to their every whim (and bark and whine...) I actually use the same methods my parents used on me as a child...time-outs and a firm resolution when saying "no" but never, EVER hitting. My female JRT/Chi mix gets wildly aggressive sometimes, (she's almost a year old now) in the midst of play, she will sometimes get angry all of a sudden and start trying to scrap with one of the other dogs. When she doesn't respond to loud clapping or "NO", I will have to pick her up and hold her in front of me so she is looking at me rather than the source of her frustration, and say "Calm down" in my low & serious voice, but that's as physical as it gets. Once she realizes she can't go anywhere and won't be able to until she chills out, I can feel tenseness leave her and her eyes lose the crazy gleam...when I put her back down, she usually "apologizes" by touching noses with the others. She's very smart, and is constantly testing the waters to see how much she can get away with...! It's my job as parent to let her know bad behavior like this is NOT okay, so she will grow up to be a good girl who can live in harmony with the rest of the pack!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,695 times
my dogs are the reason i get out of bed everyday. they are totally spoiled. they are well behaved, friendly and do me proud. of course, they're dogs so i don't expect them to act like a child. i see no reason not to spoil them. they don't have to learn the "lessons" of life that a child has to. they just need to be loved, spoiled and loved some more.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,986 times
I am owner/master first and foremost. They are my buddies, loves and family. I am alpha they are the clan/pack. they get love and attention constantly... and I get same back.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:05 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,415,776 times
Hey there :-)
I've got one dog, Lucky, and I def feel like I'm the head honcho.. the alpha dog.. something along those lines.. more so than a parent. I love him to death (don't get me wrong) but he's got his own personality and doesn't back off easily. He's extremely friendly.. meaning that he comes at everyone like they're carrying a special treat just for him.. but he doesn't back off easily. It's not uncommon for a bigger dog to tuck his tail and submit to my little friendly dog. After a few moments.. the bigger dog is romping around playing with Lucky and it's all good. Same with humans.. he runs at them and licks them to death.. sometimes he has a problem *backing off* of them.. but it's pretty easy to tell that he just wants some attention so we're all usually forgiven for the behavior. Anyways.. my point is.. that Lucky knows when I mean business. He responds very well to my commands and I don't even know what I'm doing, lol. He's the 1st dog I've ever really had.. so I think he's just great.. but the way I see our relationship is that of all the people he recognizes me as 'boss lady' and I like it that way.. and I guess the reason I like it is because that's what he needs, lol. I'm not sure why I don't really see him as a child.. maybe it's his personality. He's so independent most times. Anyways.. that's my take on this :-)

Old 02-21-2009, 08:14 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
She is a dear, undemanding and obedient dog. I like to think my children responded favorably to most of my requests/demands, and so does the dog. I guess I raised the kids and the animals the same way.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
My chi is my little girl. I'm definitely mommy.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:23 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
I am the proud Mommy of 6 four legged furry little children that can do no wrong! And yes, my furry kids are the best, as all of yours are also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs