Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,511 times

Advertisements

We purchase flea and tick medication from https://noprescriptionpetmeds.com for our dogs. They ship in the USA and free shipping. All around good experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:58 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I was quoted that fee, when I did want heartworm meds. Anyway I did not pick that vet.
Anyway, when I had 2 dogs, the vet got paid the office visit, and the testing fee, and, all they did need to do was have the office person call in the Ok
that I had the heartworm test done on an 800 number. One vet wanted the 5.00 dollars times 2, one said no problem. Being on a fixed income, 10.00
buys a bag of dog food. Therefore, I did pick the vet that had no problem over 5.00 times 2 I even gave people his name, for all the new dogs, so over
the 5.00 he did gain more dogs to care for. When I need to see a Doctor, and need pills, I do not need to pay a fee to get pills elsewhere, The insurance
dictates where I need to get them, and, no I do not need to pay a fee! If so, then I look elsewhere. I have been real happy with Dr Foster and Smith
for the meds for the dogs. Healthy pets I have used for the frontline.
Yes. I use Drs. F&S for pretty much everything, including drugs and even food. Free shipping and on my porch...can't beat it.

Their free shipping used to be $49+, but they've lowered it to $19+. I don't know if it's just a seasonal/temporary thing.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:45 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Oftentimes vets charge $5 to write a prescription that will be filled thru another company.
Any vet who charges a fee for me to fill a prescription elsewhere would become a FORMER vet immediately. I had a vet try something similar with me. I took my two Great Danes in for their annual maintenance visit; shots, bordetella, fecal, heartworm, everything. When I asked him to fax the heartworm pill prescription to Allivet, he told me I could only buy the medicine through his specific vet medicine portal, which was more expensive. Only after I threatened to file a complaint to the Texas Veterinary Board did he relent and give me my dogs' prescription. I never took them back to him.

The vet doesn't own the prescription. It's your dogs' and the owner's. You paid for the service, therefore it's your prescription. Would you give your human doctor a $5 cut for sending an antibiotic prescription to Walgreens? Of course not. I refuse to put up with this nickel and diming for no reason.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:22 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Whether or not my vet would charge to write a prescription, he will not prescribe medication on my say so. He will do an office visit and exam first before prescribing and that costs $80.

After the first of the year, water soluble antibiotics for livestock can no longer be sold. If you need any, I suggest that you stock up.

If you do order antibiotics, take the time to study up online to see what that antibiotic will treat and what it won't. You need to read the side effects, contraindications, length of treatment, and dosage before you even think of giving your dog any medication not prescribed by your vet. Antibiotics are specialized so you waste your money to give one that isn't meant for that job. Even if you are going to give the correct antibiotic, you must know how many days to give it for the specific problem you are treating for. You also need to know what an allergic reaction looks like.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,707 times
I understand vets wanting control over heartworm medicine. But. In South Texas heartworm medicine is like giving vitamins. It's important. Yet the vets still want the heartworm test each year so they'll continue giving the heartworm medicine.

I get it, I do. But my vet also said they won't give a prescription. They can't guarantee the medicine to be effective. Instead they push their vet pharmacy which. . . drumroll please. . . .Comes via truck from PetSmart.

One vet was good about handing out the heartgard without the constant heartworm tests. Another insists on the tests. Regardless my dogs have to have it so I have to comply.

Now there was one place that said if I find a cheaper price elsewhere, bring them the proof and they'll match their price. . . .
---------------

It sounds like OP went back to the breeder where he got the dog and asked. A breeder should know enough about their dogs to know if there are breed related problems to medication. This is a responsible breeder and not a back yard breeder. I know because one of my dogs is from a breeder of merit and she knows her dog lines in and out. She knows what works and what doesn't. No, I'd never self medicate like OP without talking to a vet first but I would take information and get a second opinion through a vet.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,948 times
I get my heartworm medicine from Dr. Foster and Smith and the vet approves the medicine with no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs