Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,608,038 times

Advertisements

I was always a big-dog person, up until about two or three years ago. I have two big dogs, (Sam is a Black Lab/Golden Retreiver mix, and Allie is a Yellow Lab), then my daughter talked me into taking her Jack/Rat Terrier, Diego, (they were being shipped to Germany, and she had enough to deal with, having a toddler, and a brand-new baby, at the time). He's about 15 lbs., and 5 years-old. He's sharp, fun, easy to transport, etc. He won me over, and I had never cared for little dogs, before. Anymore, I don't worry about it. When my big dogs go, someday, (although they are in relative good health, so I don't think I'll have to worry about it too soon. Sam is 13, and Allie is about 10 or 11), if I decide to get any more dogs, I won't be looking for a specific size, just personality. Having Diego taught me to not jump to quick conclusions about the size of a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,891,134 times
I love the pics!...the Mastiff with the kitty...awww, too precious...the Aust Cattle dogs are really good dogs too...but like others have mentioned go with what you want.

My personality I can't have a couch potato dog...both my dogs are high energy (Border Collie & Amer Bull dog) and need lots of play time..ie., walk, run, more running. They get bored easily otherwise and it keeps me active daily which I love!
Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,988 times
I love medium to large dogs and hate 'rat' dogs. Heres why, they have what i call small dogs syndrome. Theyre tiny with a big mouth. They always run out of their yards and bark at me and nip at my heels, it drives me crazy! Big dogs never do that to me. They always used to 'attack' my previous dog and my inalws dog when i walked them, and they were really big!
Goliath (RIP Jan 1 2006)

Tacoma

It didnt bother them, but it drove me crazy!
Even now when im walking my Staff pup they chase me down and I hate it. This has been my experience with all 'rat' dogs. I love the medium to large dogs because even if they are so big and powerfull, they still tend to be the most gentle things youll ever see!
I love hte Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed, its the most underrated breed in the US and is feared by alot of people for the wrong reasons. People automatically throw it in with the 'Pit Bull' type breed, which is so wrong because these are smaller and much more affectionate (IMHO, Pit owners dont crucify me please!).
This is the dogs temprement, taken from AKC.org
Quote:
Temperament
From the past history of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, the modern dog draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog.
The last time i checked, the affection towards children is only mentioned in the Temprement section of all dogs on the AKC.
Moderator cut: edit, copyrighted image
The Staff is the 3rd most popular dog in Austrailia also, behind the German Shepheard (2nd) and the Labrador (1st). All are very close in nubers.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-28-2008 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: added stuff

Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I love hte Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed, its the most underrated breed in the US and is feared by alot of people for the wrong reasons. People automatically throw it in with the 'Pit Bull' type breed, which is so wrong because these are smaller and much more affectionate (IMHO, Pit owners dont crucify me please!).

I'm not going to crucify you, Brian. ...my dog is part Pit Bull/Amer Bull dog and couldn't be a sweeter dog. Unfortunately, a few bad owners that are uneducated give the breed a bad rap and not to mention have the dog for ALL the wrong reasons.

My brother had a pure bred Am Staff and he is the same size as my dog.
His head and snout was a bit wider though.

Here's a pic of my brothers dog, an Am Staff, Sammy...such a good dog he was.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 AM

489 posts, read 2,009,095 times
I love all the dog pics! Thanks everyone!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,988 times
What i meant about PitBull type breed by the way was the PitBull that is a fashion accesory for the dirth that combs many city streets and have it to look tough. I know that dogs generally are only as good as their owners. Ive had one person who said to me 'Is that a pitbull', i replied its a Staff Bill Terr and he said 'I dont like PitBulls like that, i hope you have an arm this time next year'. Stuff like that drives me crazy.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:32 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,077,143 times
Quote:
I'm all "read up" on the breeds and am an experienced dog owner

Ohhhhhhhhh. D'oh. Lightbulb moment.

Your original question sounded like a "new dog owner" query (I did notice you were pet-sitting a Dobie on the exercise thread...). Sorry 'bout that.

So, you are a former (?) big-dog owner, considering "downsizing" , but hoping for a dog with enough energy and stamina to be an exercise buddy? Is that about right?

My favorite little dogs with lots of "go" power would be JRTs and Corgis. I like Beagles (they'll walk/run alllll day), but find them stubborn and difficult to train. (I'm a pet sitter too, so I get to experience various breeds first-hand ).

You should know your thread might get me into serious trouble....I started surfing the Cattle Dog rescue sites. Uh-oh.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM

489 posts, read 2,009,095 times
Default YES! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh. D'oh. Lightbulb moment.

Your original question sounded like a "new dog owner" query (I did notice you were pet-sitting a Dobie on the exercise thread...). Sorry 'bout that.

So, you are a former (?) big-dog owner, considering "downsizing" , but hoping for a dog with enough energy and stamina to be an exercise buddy? Is that about right?

My favorite little dogs with lots of "go" power would be JRTs and Corgis. I like Beagles, but find them stubborn and difficult to train. (I'm a pet sitter too, so I get to experience various breeds first-hand ).

You should know your thread might get me into serious trouble....I started surfing the Cattle Dog rescue sites. Uh-oh.
Yes, that is exactly right! Considering "downsizing", so to speak!
Just not sure. Yes, I want a dog with enough energy and stamina to be an exercise buddy. I'm afraid my communication skills have declined, having spent too much time here lately with just canines. It seems that my communication each day is pretty much limited to "NO!" "What did I tell you?!" "Eat your fooooood . . . get it!" and the occasional very deliberate pointing like I'm directing traffic. My house is total chaos right now babysitting the Doberman . . . My old cat cannot hear me at all (thankfully) because she is so "senior", she is deaf, and my poor old dog can hear me "Come here, Little! Come get your food" to which she starts to respond but then runs away when she hears me yell "NO!" (because the poor girl is blind and doesn't realize WHO I'm yelling at ) when I'm talking to the Doberman because he is more than happy to come eat Little Dog's food. Therefore, I've resorted to hand signals (the deliberate pointing in the direction I want the Doberman to go). Losing my mind. LOLOLOL

Whatever I decide as far as the next dog goes, I know that once Mr. Doberman is gone, I'm just going to sit down and take it all in (the silence and peace and quiet) and wrap and ice my wrist because I'm suffering from serious dog-wrist-itis from my hand signaling and traffic directing at home and the occasional patting of his butt to direct him along. Poor Little Dog, I wonder how sane she will be by the time he finally leaves us. "Come here, Little! Get your food . . . NO!!!!!" This place is a zoo, and it is going to be this way until mid-May, but I am perfecting my dog sign language for the sake of Little Dog's sanity.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 PM

181 posts, read 491,791 times
Ideally it is better to get a dog based on whether its temperament matches yours, but sometimes there are other practicalities to think about. My last dog was a Dobie, who I got when I was living at my childhood home. Finding a place to rent that would allow him was really, really hard. He has gone to doggie heaven years ago, long before the pick-up-the-poo laws came about in urban areas in which I tend to live. That would be the other consideration. Therefore, if I were to get another dog, I would now look for a smaller breed.

I love Standard Schnauzers, Boxers, Springer Spaniels and Cairns. However, Boxers are a little too big. Cairns are diggers and barkers, either of which might be a problem indoors. Springers might be a little too active for my taste. I like Schnauzers and Cairns because they're reputed to be a bit aloof to strangers. My Dobie, although he had a ferocious look about him, loved everyone and would have shown a burglar the way to the silverware.

Last edited by Gypsy-Moth; 03-20-2007 at 12:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2007, 01:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
I've always had small or smaller dogs. Growing up most of our dogs were mutts or mixed breeds. All were very good dogs w/ great temperments. One we took on ALL vacations. You could get out of the car and leave all of the doors open and she would not go anywhere. When I got married my husband already had a dog which I had known since day one. I left my lil Shih Tzu at home w/ my parents as she did not care for the big dog, a Dalmatian. My lil Shih Tzu was great, she was fine w/ the kids and just a real happy girl. After a few months of marriage I brought in an adopted rescue, a Lhasa Apsa. Our Dal was also great w/ kids. We had both dogs when we had our first child, the Lhasa accepted them, more like tolerated. Our Dal LOVED THEM! They would crawl all over him and he would just eat it up. Ahh, here comes my Lhasa now... . Our Dal and Lhasa were inseperable. Whenever we had to board them they HAD to be together or else they would not eat. Here is this 80 lb Dal that is in love w/ this 9 lb Lhasa, lol. We lost our Dal 2 years ago this month when he was a month shy of being 14. Our Lhasa is about 16 and still a real spunky ol gal. She likes to sleep a lot more now but she still has that sparkle and her health is overall great. A little over a year ago our oldest two-legged child rooked us into getting a "rat" dog, a Chihuahua. I HATED THOSE DOGS!!!!! My grandparents had them and they were THE meanest lil dogs. Well, our lil rat is pretty good. She is not yappy at all and we have come to see that her personality is the exact same as our beloved Dalmatians was. He got jealous whenever you would be petting the Lhasa and would come "butt in" and now our lil rat does too. Our Dal liked some excercise but did not need a lot of yard although we always had a large yard for him he was a house dog and a true couch potato. You could cover him up w/ a blanket and he would not move. Our Chihuahua actually runs around more than he ever did. She is hysterical to watch run and play. She loves the kids, she loves ALL kids and dogs . She believes they are all here for her to play with but I made sure she was exposed to all different environments very young like taking her to pick up the kids at school and such so she is used to seeing kids run around and hearing them carry on loudly and it does not make her scared or freak her out. She is pretty smart and well behaved but we worked w/ her and I taught her early on that I AM THE MASTER, lol. I would pick her up and hold her like a baby on her back so that she would know that I was the one to be looked up to. The kids also did likewise. She is not 100% Chihuahua so I think that helps w/ the typical characteristics of that breed to temper them down. My Lhasa, bless her little heart, she is getting up there. She is a bit deaf and blind, after we lost our Dal she followed me EVERYWHERE, still does and I've tripped over her so many times as she gets under my feet. She took up w/ the new pup pretty well and they play together and also get boarded in the same kennel together. I know the day is coming sooner everyday that she will be gone, we already have her gravesite reserved next to our Dalmatians at the pet cemetary. Then the task will begin to find our new furbaby and we are also confused as to what kind of dog to get. My husband said he does not want another large dog and he is the one that only had large breeds and never wanted a small breed, lol. If I could find a minituare Dalmatian we would be set . My youngest two-legged child wants a Min. Pinscher. Hubby even mentioned a Yorkie (WHAT!?!?! YOU!?!?! A guy wanting a Yorkie??? OMYGOSH). Now those tend to be more yappy but are cute. I've also been scouting all of the animal rescue sites for awhile looking.

If your wanting a dog for protection like it making enough noise to scare someone off, little dogs tend to do such more so than larger breeds. For excercise, yes the Shih Tzu's and such that have the shorter snout do tend to have breathing problems. My Shih Tzu never did but my sis had one that snored LOUDLY and wheezed. The Chihuahua and other small hyper breeds can take the daily walks and actually love them more so than other small breeds. I've also encountered that the larger breed dogs that we have had were more lovers even to strangers. We had an Alaskan Malamute growing up that we said would put his paws on a burglars shoulders and lick/kiss them to death, lol, he tried to get the cats to play w/ him and would cry if they ran up a tree. Whereas this little "rat" dog we have would be nipping at the heels and having a fit if someone got into our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs