Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Have you considered a grainless food? Taste of the Wild, Evo, Orijen, among many others, make great grainless foods. If you don't want grainless, I highly recommend Fromm (the four star line; it's not rated 4 stars, that's just the name of this particular line). People swear by this stuff and refer to it as doggy crack, so it might be great for your picky eater! And, you can switch flavors with each bag to diversify the protein (I think they have 5 or so?) !
I agree! Your safest bets for uncompromised quility! Plus, such foods have not been messing with with their formulas, or changing processing locations, either (as Canidae has recently done.)

OOps Edit: Just saw your response about them not being available nearby :>(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times
We wanted to get him a brother and name him Meatball! But our breeder quickly extinguished that dream when he said that you don't want 2 male Bulldogs in the same house. We then realized that all of our friends that have 2, have a male and female, so we are getting him an older sister sometime later this year/early next year. Hmm..do you think I can name her Meatball? She already will have a name, since she's a retired show dog, but we will be changing it. We want something that goes with Porkchop, yet is feminine..

Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
We wanted to get him a brother and name him Meatball! But our breeder quickly extinguished that dream when he said that you don't want 2 male Bulldogs in the same house. We then realized that all of our friends that have 2, have a male and female, so we are getting him an older sister sometime later this year/early next year. Hmm..do you think I can name her Meatball? She already will have a name, since she's a retired show dog, but we will be changing it. We want something that goes with Porkchop, yet is feminine..
I love it!!! I think Meatball is a perfectly acceptable girl's name! OMG, how cute will this be?!?!?!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm not sure how far these places are from West Hartford, but Taste of the Wild is sold at these places in CT:

Pet Spa at Twin City, LLC
745 New Britain Ave
Newington, Connecticut 06111
Phone: 860-667-9363

New England's General Store
361 Scott Swamp Rd
Farmington, Connecticut 06032
Phone: 860-674-9476

Paws & Go LLC
916 Unit B Stafford Ave
Bristol, Connecticut 06010
Phone: 860-589-0100

And, you can order food online at www.petfooddirect.com. Use this code at checkout and you will get your first 30lbs. shipped for free. They are one of the cheapest companies, that's if you don't have to pay for shipping. Here's the code: ORSC2055. You may be able to get doggie crack after all!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how far these places are from West Hartford, but Taste of the Wild is sold at these places in CT:

Pet Spa at Twin City, LLC
745 New Britain Ave
Newington, Connecticut 06111
Phone: 860-667-9363

New England's General Store
361 Scott Swamp Rd
Farmington, Connecticut 06032
Phone: 860-674-9476

Paws & Go LLC
916 Unit B Stafford Ave
Bristol, Connecticut 06010
Phone: 860-589-0100

And, you can order food online at www.petfooddirect.com. Use this code at checkout and you will get your first 30lbs. shipped for free. They are one of the cheapest companies, that's if you don't have to pay for shipping. Here's the code: ORSC2055. You may be able to get doggie crack after all!
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! They're not close like next door, but none of them are FAR.

Thanks so much! You're awesome!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Glad I can help! Keep me posted on any poop changes!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Dukester -- thanks! So you think that I should stop giving him the cheese and veggies, but keeping adding the rice to his food?

MAK802 -- I love fellow poop enthusiasts!!!! I have no idea if it's the milk product. He has no other allergy symptoms -- no itching, nothing -- but I wonder if you can be lactose intolerant but not have allergies? I really, really, really don't want to switch his food. I will if I have to, though. How would I (or a vet, rather) determine if he's lactose intolerant? Or maybe the little bit of milk in the food is fine, but the added cheese was putting his poop over the edge? This is so frustrating.
Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant to a degree. As they grow out of puppyhood the enzyme that digests the sugars in milk diminishes, resulting in undigested sugar which reacts with bacteria in the gut to produce anything from vomiting to gas to diarrhea and soft stools. Try eliminating all additions to his food, especially added milk products, for a few weeks. I'd also eliminate the treats. Give him pieces of his regular kibble as a treat if necessary.

Also, if a dog eats too much the poop will often be soft. Get Artie on a feeding schedule and ensure that he isn't consuming more calories than his body needs.

As for color, soft poop is often yellow-orange colored.

A thought: Has Artie been tested for Giardia? The cysts aren't always apparent in one test since they shed in cycles. Vets will often test fecal samples for three consecutive days. Perhaps another fecal test is in order if this hasn't been done. It's relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Most adult dogs are lactose intolerant to a degree. As they grow out of puppyhood the enzyme that digests the sugars in milk diminishes, resulting in undigested sugar which reacts with bacteria in the gut to produce anything from vomiting to gas to diarrhea and soft stools. Try eliminating all additions to his food, especially added milk products, for a few weeks. I'd also eliminate the treats. Give him pieces of his regular kibble as a treat if necessary.

Also, if a dog eats too much the poop will often be soft. Get Artie on a feeding schedule and ensure that he isn't consuming more calories than his body needs.

As for color, soft poop is often yellow-orange colored.

A thought: Has Artie been tested for Giardia? The cysts aren't always apparent in one test since they shed in cycles. Vets will often test fecal samples for three consecutive days. Perhaps another fecal test is in order if this hasn't been done. It's relatively inexpensive.
Thanks so much, Leorah. If I give him his kibble as treats (oh boy, he's going to HATE that!), and he still continues with soft stools, can I safely assume that -- aside from any other ailment such as Giardia -- it's the food that's causing his upset because it has milk in it?

As for Giardia, we go for his annual visit to the vet and she always says that he's healthy as can be, nothing wrong with him at all. I will speak to my vet about the 3-day fecal testing, though. Thank you.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,030 times
Default Wit's End - Artie's Poop

My husband and I feed our dog "Little Caesar's" and try to give her a variety of flavors. Just recently bought her a breakfast flavor of scrambled eggs and sausage...for real! She was a very picky eater to begin with, but seems to love the "Little Caesar's". She also gets minimal table scraps...they are not suppose to be good for dogs and will promote doggie gas which we all hate, right? She gets treats, but I am careful to check the calorie count on the box as she is a pit bull and could get fat easy because they are NOT a high energy dog no matter what you have heard about them.

We keep a bowl of fresh water down for her at all times so that she can drink at will. This ensures that her bowels do not get to hard from eating too many treats which on occasion she does do.

In the meantime....I would take Artie to a vet and talk out the problems that you are having. Sometimes the Vet has special dog food you can buy that will help Artie out. Good Luck

Old 02-27-2009, 05:58 AM

Hi Pam, thanks for the tip. I haven't heard of that brand but I'm going to the pet store this morning to talk to them about Artie's food and will look into it. Gee, that sounds like a really good breakfast -- I don't even have eggs and sausage. Hmmmmm...

Artie's pretty high-energy -- he's a terror out in the yard and runs like the wind. And the vet always says that his weight is perfect. In fact, after last summer, he had lost a pound or two because of all his exercise. Like he's dieting... LOL!

Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs