Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who bought a labrador puppy with a cleft palate from a breeder who was most likely going to put the dog to sleep. She spent a couple of thousand dollars for surgery on the dog.

Seemed like an honorable person who rescued the dog, right? NOT! She wants to breed her!

Nevermind that most of the puppies in the litter will have birth defects! Nevermind that she wont' be able to bottle feed an entire litter since she works full time. Nevermind that few people will be crazy enought to buy a labrador with a cleft palate. Never mind that few people would take a labrador with a cleft palate for free. Nevermind that you couldn't pay people to take a puppy with a cleft palate!

Not only did her dog have a cleft palate, but it's a freakish looking runt for a purebred. Something is terribly wrong that that dog. Nothing looks right about her dog. EVERYONE keeps telling her that this isn't a good idea---that she is going to bring deformed puppies into the world. She just ignorantly insists that it will be okay. She's determined to do it. Okay, I'm done with my rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why can't they give the dog to a yorkie rescue? It seems that euthanizing the dog is a rather harsh step. A rescue might be able to find it a good home. I don't know. I know sometimes that two dogs don't get along and one has to be rehomed (so I've read) but usually it is the newcomer!

And why is their Vet agreeing to euthanize the dog? I don't think mine would - just for any ole reason. At least I hope not.

I'm by no means perfect - but my dog is part of my family and I can't imagine just getting rid of him. Heck, my son would get rid of ME before anything happened to the dog.

I'd have a hard time not saying something. I probably would say something and if our friendship was over . . . oh, well.

they could tell the vet that the dog had bitten a child or some other ridiculous story...... as for finding a rescue, they may not be aware that rescues exist.... might be something for the op to mention in passing to them..... or maybe do as i have done, and research rescues for the lazy so and so's......

they are sacrificing the dog that they have had for several years because they are tired of it.... the new dog is "new" ..... and will likely be discarded too once the new has worn off......

i have known people like this myself.... one was a sister-in-law that did the same thing to a pair of kittens...... **I** paid to have them vaccinated and neutered in hopes that this would encourage her to keep them.... but still, by the time they were 9-10 months old, she had given them away...... she at least had the sense to be afraid to tell me herself.... i was so furious at her cavalier treatment of these innocents, that i could not speak to her for several months..... and she worked for me at the time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I have a friend who bought a labrador puppy with a cleft palate from a breeder who was most likely going to put the dog to sleep. She spent a couple of thousand dollars for surgery on the dog.

Seemed like an honorable person who rescued the dog, right? NOT! She wants to breed her!

Nevermind that most of the puppies in the litter will have birth defects! Nevermind that she wont' be able to bottle feed an entire litter since she works full time. Nevermind that few people will be crazy enought to buy a labrador with a cleft palate. Never mind that few people would take a labrador with a cleft palate for free. Nevermind that you couldn't pay people to take a puppy with a cleft palate!

Not only did her dog have a cleft palate, but it's a freakish looking runt for a purebred. Something is terribly wrong that that dog. Nothing looks right about her dog. EVERYONE keeps telling her that this isn't a good idea---that she is going to bring deformed puppies into the world. She just ignorantly insists that it will be okay. She's determined to do it. Okay, I'm done with my rant.
can't fix stupid..... poor dogs.........

Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,111 times
My last lab was from a BYB (I was ignorant) and he had a whole in his heart that was genetic. My neighbor had a chocolate girl and wanted to breed her with mine. I had to tell him no over and over again. Dumb.

Last edited by Jessiegee40; 10-20-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: I think breed sounds better than bread. LOL

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
My last lab was from a BYB (I was ignorant) and he had a whole in his heart that was genetic. My neighbor had a chocolate girl and wanted to bread her with mine. I had to tell him no over and over again. Dumb.
Yeah, I had a gorgeous Blue Heeler, and used to take him out w/us alot...I can't believe how many people would approach me asking to breed him

I've never had it happen with any other dogs I've had!

The anctedotal stories make you think the general population needs an IQ infusion!

Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I can top it. I've got a friend and her husband that are not dog people, never have been. They seem to think that feeding them high quality food and supplements makes them good dog owners.

However, after buying a Tosa Inu and not bothering to train it at all, and it didn't automatically know what they expected of it, they dumped it down a rural road, convinced the local farmer there would love to have it as a pet. Did they ask him? Did they know him? Nope, just assumed that because they were stupid enough to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a poorly bred dog with a rare breed on it's registration papers that anyoe would know what it is, what it's worth and be glad to take it in.

Then they go and get a Dogue De Bordeaux. Again, not well known large breed dog that they paid way too much money for from a back yard breeder. Again, dog didn't know what to do, how to behave because they never trained it. So when they let their young pre-school age kids crawl all over him and pull his ears and chew on it's tail and it finally had enough and nipped one of them, they took him out back and shot him in the head.

Finally they move to another state. They apply for - and God only knows how the hell were approved - to adopt a female pit. I begged her not to adopt the dog. Told her she had no business owning a large breed dog if any at all. She thinks because her Pyr is a good dog she's a good dog owner and it's been the dog's fault all along. Gah!! Obviously a crappy rescue - or more likely she got it for free from teh local paper. Nothing I did or said would change her mind. I finally gave up and the friendship is over. Can't be around knowing the fate of that poor dog they adopted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs