Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

584 posts, read 2,138,626 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the best "dog friendly" state?

(I don't mean leash free dog parks where a million dogs run around in a fence.)

I mean, nice owners, dogs that are members of the family and treated like it, parks that you can walk on a trail with your leashed dog, beaches with your leashed dog, other things too.

I'm tired of nice family member dogs not being able to enjoy the good life because of other people not being responsible for their unruly dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,238,354 times
I'll have to vote for CA. People here treat their dogs like family members. Many people travel with their pets, we have many pet-friendly hotels all over the state and take our dogs on all of our trips. Every single beach in San Diego allows leashed dogs after 4pm, and we also have "dog" beaches where your dog can be unleashed at anytime. I know LA has similar beaches.

Many restaurants in this state encourage you to bring your pup and sit on the patio and offer water bowls and treats to dogs. Yea, there are some people that ruin it for the rest of us by having out of control dogs running off leash in places with leash laws, but the majority of the people I have met since moving here are responsible dog owners that love their dogs as much as any other family member. I feel the same about my pup. He is the greatest thing in the world and I can't imagine my life without him.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,286,992 times
I'll second California too. As for a city that really stands out (I know you didn't ask) - it's Austin Texas, from the various parks, lakes to dog friendly apartments, various eateries, pubs and bars, even home depot.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Default any more places?

I'm surprised that more people haven't said anything. So, I guess CA is what is the most? I'm not sure if I can move to CA. Earthquakes, crowded, wild fires. Sounds extreme. Something to think about though. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,325,935 times
I'd say any on the west coast I know OR and WA are pretty pet friendly too.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM

Does anyone know anywhere you can take your dog (on a leash) on an actual beach? Not a river. Ocean beach. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,238,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Does anyone know anywhere you can take your dog (on a leash) on an actual beach? Not a river. Ocean beach. Thanks.
That would have to be CA, but watch out for those earthquakes! We have several beaches in San Diego where you can let your dog off leash (or you can keep the leash on, whatever you choose) and then every single city beach allows dogs on the beach, leashed, after a certain time (4pm in the winter/spring/fall, 6pm in the summer).

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
What do you think is the best "dog friendly" state?

(I don't mean leash free dog parks where a million dogs run around in a fence.)

I mean, nice owners, dogs that are members of the family and treated like it, parks that you can walk on a trail with your leashed dog, beaches with your leashed dog, other things too.

I'm tired of nice family member dogs not being able to enjoy the good life because of other people not being responsible for their unruly dogs.
That is easy. The State that is most dog-friendly is Alaska.

There are no heart-worms, no fleas, no tics, and miles and miles of wilderness to run around in where there are no other people or dogs.

Alaska is a doggy paradise!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 AM

466 posts, read 1,057,777 times
I don't call a state dog friendly where there is no off leash park, trail or whatever for your dog and I wonder about people with dogs, that don't want there dogs off leash, because.....?????? What dog doesn't like to be a dog and run around free with his friends? He/She can only do that in a dog park or dog beach, so give them a break and for that Oregon is the most dog friendly state in the US as far as I know. CA isn't bad either, but often I see people there (I live in Huntington Beach and have family in LA) who don't treat their dogs as dogs, but as people, not so healthy for the dog!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,352,935 times
Quote:
Bonita Springs, Florida. They've got a doggie beach.

I'm not sure which state is the friendliest to pets - I'd also go with the northwest. But I do know the worse area is the SE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs