U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,896,069 times
Default Over the counter human painkillers for dogs

Ok, this is a serious question. My 5ish year old Dalmation gets these spells of low back leg spasm/cramp pain.

A vet once said she had cold tail syndrome because her tail was straight in spasm.

They checked her over and said cortisone was the only way to go.

Since moving to a colder climate her pain has gotten worse, although she has not had the spasms. Someone said I could safely give her 1/2 a bayer aspirin per day.

I started having leg cramps/hip pain over the past week, which was unbearable. I finally took two naproxen and it went away.

Which over the counter human pain relievers are safe to give my dog on an ongoing basis?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 3,893,050 times
None. I'd seek out a Holistic veterianian ASAP. There are natural supplements and remedies to help with this without compromising the Liver, and other side effects.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,501,906 times
No OTC human pain relievers are really safe for dogs. A vet could prescribe Metacam or Rimadyl for your dog, which you could purchase relatively inexpensively from online sources. All pain relievers can have very serious side effects in dogs and can cause death, so veterinary monitoring is imperative.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:12 PM

So the advice to use bayer was untrue? I'm really hoping to hear some facts here, not opinion, much as I'd love to get her doggy acupuncture, just looking for an inexpensive pain reliever.

From http://www.vetinfo.com/dpain.html :

"
[SIZE=+0]Aspirin: The recommended dosage for aspirin in dogs is 10mg/lb of body weight every 12 hours. The recommended dosage of aspirin for cats is controversial but a good starting point is 10mg/lb of body weight every 48 to 72 hours. Aspirin has a very long half life in cats and it is very easy to overdose a cat if aspirin is given on a daily basis. It is best to use aspirin under the supervision of your vet when using it in cats.[/SIZE] "

Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM

It's not opinion. I learned the HARD way the side effects of Rimadyl. If I had known about Holistic vets, and one was nearby, we'd still have our dogs.
The info is at our fingertips now (I was CLUELESS back then and it cost dearly.)
There are many natural supplements -- which we had NO idea even existed.

A Holistic veterinarian can guide you.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM

Natural remedies can be just as harmful as synthetic. I am sorry for any suffering your pets endured and for your loss. I'm looking for what is best for my dog, and every situation is different. I found this about Rimadyl, from the same site I linked above. I am asking about human painkillers like aspirin, was liver failure the concern you had about Rimadyl (which is not a human painkiller, right?)

Carprofen ( Rimadyl Rx): The recommended dosage for dogs is 1mg/lb every 12 hours or 2mg/lb every 24 hours. In chronic pain situations it is often possible to use 1mg/lb per day successfully, although this does vary from dog to dog. This is a predominantly Cox-2 inhibitor. There are confirmed cases of liver failure associated with the use of carprofen (considered to be a rare complication), so it is best to check blood work for liver damage prior to use and to recheck lab work after 2 to 4 weeks of use. Carprofen is not approved for use in cats but it is sometimes used on a one time basis for pain relief associated with surgeries such as spay or neuter procedures.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM

We actually had no concerns about Rimadyl (as we were clueless regarding any possible side effects we should have known about to be on the lookout for.)

It was after the chronic seizures a week later, and the mass confusion... but I digress.

Anyways, hope you find what's best for your dog. You asked for imput, I gave mine (holistic vet) and wish you the best whatever you decide :>)

Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM

I will have to check on whether anyone in this region offers accupuncture. I want for my dog to have the freeing pain relief that I experienced when I took the naproxen (aleve) today. I usually don't take any pills but it really worked. Is Rimadyl a prescription medication? I will run the other way if anyone suggest it. I think an anti-inflamatory would really help.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:59 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,501,906 times
I rescued a 12 year old American Eskimo who, after years living outside and running the streets, had developed severe osteoarthritis. Metacam was his salvation. He went from a crippled, hunchbacked, lethargic dog to a dog who was able to go for walks, ride in the car comfortably and otherwise enjoy his life until he died at almost 17 of old age. Yes, there can be side effects, but a low once-a-day dosage of Metacam gave my dog a healthy and happy 5 years he wouldn't have had otherwise. YMMV.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 PM
ZSP

1,152 posts, read 2,120,150 times
Aspirin only, but not often. Here's a link with dosing info. Aspirin dose for dogs

If your dog experiences that much pain and inflammation, I'd suggest speaking with your vet about other alternative treatments/pain management. Aspirin isn't recommended on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs