Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,706,751 times

Advertisements

Is it wrong to give a dog table food when everyone is done eating? I fed him his conventional dry food but gave him a taste of baked Salmon.

Do you feed your dog table food? Is so, how much and when (ie after his or her dinner)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,899,110 times
I don't think it is always wrong, but it is a slippery slope. We had a no table food at all policy for about a year and then slowly my husband and kids (and, yes, even me) started to slip the dog a bite or two. I started noticing loose poops that were related a bite or two too many and banned it altogether again. If it is just adults who really do know safe from not safe foods and can stop at one bite, it probably isn't a problem.

I had a golden retriever growing up who lived to be 16! My mother was a pretty bad cook always boiled the heck out of vegetables that she served us. She would always poor the green veggie cooking water over his food. Now I know that he was the one receiving all of the nutrients!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,565,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Now I know that he was the one receiving all of the nutrients!
Are you sure that your mom didn't do it on purpose? I do give my dog table food only after careful selection. Baked salmon, grilled eel and boil chicken/egg. My GSD has very sensitive stomach and got sick easily. She stole a big piece of grilled eel once and didn't get sick so eel is added on the list of things she can have. But I really have to control my desire to give them more. Also I put the table food into their bowls and they are not allowed to take the food from the table.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,537,996 times
I never give my puppy food from my table either because you know if she gets some right they she is going to go begging for more and more....It would drive me crazy or even jump up to the table too. I don't always give her table scraps in fact last night she gave me the look mom I want to eat that while I was scraping some pieces of food in the trash...It was so cute when I saw her face... If we do give her food we do it discreetly in her food bowl. Meaning don't do all the time at the same time. Sometime I would give her some while I am cooking or after or during.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,224,775 times
A taste may be okay, but there are too many things we eat that are not good for dogs...and if they are eating a normal meal and then getting table scraps on top of it that's just extra calories to pile on their frame.

Nothing with any cooked bones - no onions or mushrooms - no greasy stuff. I will take cooked vegetables I've sauteed and mix it with their raw food the next morning, occasionally maybe some leftover meatloaf or fish without bones, but no bread or sweets other than a little fruit (and not a lot of that, it can make for some messy poop). Just think of what they would eat in the wild - nothing covered in grease or butter, for sure! If you know what foods may be toxic or hard on their system, I think it's probably okay to give them a little taste in their food bowl with their dinner. Also remember that a dog has a very short gut and cannot process food like we do...that's why most people grind up their raw diet. Dogs simply don't have the stomach acids we do to break down food so a lot ends up passing out in whole form if it hasn't been ground into small enough pieces that can be digested before traveling through the gut.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 AM

181 posts, read 1,075,069 times
Any table scraps should not be more than 10% of his diet, otherwise you will throw off the balance. Dogs usually don't care how big their treats are, they just care that they get a treat. Moderation is the key.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,258,889 times
i give cody left overs ...but if I do, he gets less dog food for that day.
I think it's ok ...what about 60-70 years ago ...they didn't have dog food, they fed ttheir dogs the food they ate.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,224,775 times
And people and dogs died a lot earlier too! And no heartworm or flea/tick meds...man, I just wasn't cut out for that period of time!

I'm sure it won't kill them...but I do think as the trend has become for us to eat in a more healthy way as humans, it's only natural to pass that on to our dogs. The main point is to know what is toxic and certainly don't feed anything like that...dogs are dogs, they are pretty resilient...still, anything too greasy and not only the dogs pay for it, but our house becomes almost uninhabitable from the gas from 6 Rottweilers...not a pretty thing!

Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,302,463 times
Table food, such as little meat chunks or leftover gravies/juices, OK. No pasta, carbs, etc. though. And in limited amounts.
Do not feed FROM the table though. The dogs will make a nuisance of themselves begging under the table. Put it into their dish.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,382,858 times
Would go easy on any gravy or rich foods, pancreatitis is not uncommon in dogs around the holidays b/c people mean well but tend to overdo giving them leftovers, and it can be deadly. Would go easy on dark meat (turkey). Mine occasionally get a few small cut-up pieces of turkey (white meat), some plain string beans (low-sodium) but we stay away from gravy, buttered foods etc (much as they'd love it!), sometimes they get a little low-sodium chicken broth, scrambled eggs, low-fat cottage cheese, plain yogurt etc -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs