Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 11:33 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,666,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

I give up as this is descending into the nonsensical. Can I next expect a post about how they don't give generously to charity, have appalling table manners, and answer back?

However it does occur to me that perhaps you need to refresh your memory as to the definition of anthropomorphism, seeing as you actively engage in it just after saying it should be "resisted".
Humor, ms. horses... humor...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,117,017 times
Default Mea Culpa

Apologies Mr. Burnsey, I stand corrected and abashed. Furthermore, I have put out an APB for my sense of humor.

Now... had you said they were a bunch of thieving bastards, I'd have had to agree with you. I've got a posse operating that like to steal deer feeders.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky owner View Post
I came across your posting after searching for information on dog fights with raccoons. This past weekend our 2 huskies cornered a coon in a wooded creek. It was quite ferocious and would not back down. The largest husky (80 lbs.) took the worst of it. His muzzle was torn open. Took him to the ER where they proceeded to put him under to stitch him up. In the process, he stopped breathing, but they were able to revive him. He was sent home with antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication. He cannot tolerate these meds and consequently has become quite ill. So far we have spent over $600. But, more important than that, we don't know how the outcome for our much loved family companion of 10 years will be. I just thought I would post this so people would understand just how mean these wild animals can be.
i'm sorry about your baby. i hope that he is well on his way to healing and getting back to good health.

and thanks for the word of the day! i never knew the word anthropomorphism before. my dog is so smart, he usually teaches me all my new words. i guess he just missed this one.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,865 times
Although I agree wild animals have no real human characteristics, raccoons ARE vicious and will possibly kill a small animal that wouldn't stand a chance with it in a fight.

It happened with one of our dogs this morning. She was a rather lightweight shy and very friendly chihuahua mix and wouldn't hurt a fly. We found her not more than 100 feet away from our house. It looked as though she was grabbed between the front leg and head and was violently shaken. I saw raccoon tracks nearby.

You can't tell me that raccoons are not vicious, as our poor dog has proven they are.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:32 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Wow! I never realize how vicious raccoons are. I mean, I know that they can very effectively defend themselves but I would never have guessed that they would maliciously drown a dog!
It's not malicious when they are defending their selves and families. I think the word you may have been looking for was defensive.
Raccoons are just hungry all the time, always in search for more food. They were here first and we have to learn to keep our yards clean and not offer a free meal to them. No different than wolves, bears or mountain lions. They will all move on when they find no comfort in the inn.

I had a pet raccoon from 1979 to 1989. He was very friendly and shared food with our collie. He was a big boy at 55 pounds when I released him in the woods. He probably would have wished to stay at my home but he was going senile. I do not suggest anyone befriend a wild one. Mine was 4th generation raised by humans.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,944,882 times
years ago, our next door neighbors fed the raccoons and so, of course, had quite a tribe..... i suspect that one of them killed my big sweet (18 lb) lug of an orange tabby..... found him in the front yard when we got home from an overnight trip.... he had gotten out right before i left and i didn't realize it......

now the neighbors and their raccoons are the ex's problem.......

Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,923,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
It's not malicious when they are defending their selves and families. I think the word you may have been looking for was defensive.
Raccoons are just hungry all the time, always in search for more food. They were here first and we have to learn to keep our yards clean and not offer a free meal to them. No different than wolves, bears or mountain lions. They will all move on when they find no comfort in the inn.

I had a pet raccoon from 1979 to 1989. He was very friendly and shared food with our collie. He was a big boy at 55 pounds when I released him in the woods. He probably would have wished to stay at my home but he was going senile. I do not suggest anyone befriend a wild one. Mine was 4th generation raised by humans.

Those pics are too cool

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM

115 posts, read 323,466 times
We came home yesterday to see a dead raccoon in our fenced backyard. We've had groundhogs living under a shed, but I guess the raccoon was living there. Not a scratch on our German Shepherd (80 lb. female), but I plan to call our vet tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,775,587 times
1: as others have said, ANY contact with a racoon requires a check up from the vet and possible boosters. scratches have less likleyhood of transmitting rabies, however your also running the risk of distemper and infection. get your shiba checked just to be on the safe side.

2: block off all acess under sheds decks ect, small spaces that a dog can chase a coon into, once backed into a corner a racoon WILL ALWAYS fight for its life, they are incredbly smart, incredibly strong and have inredibly sharp claws and teeth...
they are not "mean" in the malicious human based context of the word, they are however incredibly vicious survivalists when it comes down to it, and they will defend their lives by killing if nessicary and possible. (a human in a similar life of death type situation would do the same in most cases...its called self defense...)

3: make sure all trash cans are SECURE, and as nice as it seems to have pretty birds in your gardens, dont feed them, its easy food for a coon and they WILL take advantage of that free buffet folks offer.
trashcans should ideally be kept lidded with a secure top and kept in a covered area or, ideally in a garage. compost piles will also attract them so make sure if you cant secure these areas from racoons make sure they are fenced off/restricted from the dog.

4: give racoons an easy escape route, a tree neer the fenceline that they can bolt up...the easier the escape route the less likely they are to feel cornered and the less likely to attack (though it can still happen)

because your dog has such a strong prey drive the first thing i would do is get a bell, goat of small calf bells are great and attatch to his collar, the racoons will quickly learn this sound (just like bells on cats collars to protect birds)

i personally would have a smaller fenced area for night time potty breaks that has a good security light that floods the entire area...raccoons like the cover of darkness and while the light wont scare them away it will give them more of a chance of seeing yoru dog and getting out of there before anything bad could happen.

my other suggestion, if a smaller well lit fenced area is not doable...take your shiba out on leash at night.

at your dogs age, your not going to ever break that instinct, all you can realy do is work to manage it and avoid the risks...means a little inconvenience on your part, BUT it could save your dogs life, a racoon CAN kill a 25lb dog with little problem.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,356,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewolf View Post
Although I agree wild animals have no real human characteristics, raccoons ARE vicious and will possibly kill a small animal that wouldn't stand a chance with it in a fight.

It happened with one of our dogs this morning. She was a rather lightweight shy and very friendly chihuahua mix and wouldn't hurt a fly. We found her not more than 100 feet away from our house. It looked as though she was grabbed between the front leg and head and was violently shaken. I saw raccoon tracks nearby.

You can't tell me that raccoons are not vicious, as our poor dog has proven they are.
What idiot would leave a chihuahua outdoors alone? Aside from the raccoons, they're perfect prey for tons of other predators, including large birds of prey! Good grief, of all the dogs to leave outdoors unattended. Your poor dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs