Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,503,947 times

Advertisements

We had coon we caught and yes had permit to keep. Older one dogs could bay at him he sit there and look at them like what you think you are doing? We could handle him as long as gloves and heavy jacket as claws sharp as hell.
Young one was mean as all get out and if had let out by dogs even though small he would ripped them up good. Coon drowning a dog has been done many times as coon are not stupid and will get dog in water to fight and climb on and get on head and fight until dog goes under or gets away. Coon eat almost anything. Little one liked dog food with mountain dew, but ate frogs, mice, corn, candy. They love bear bait piles with sweets and sandwiches. Like any animal if challenged will fight if no means of escape and claws made for climbing and sharp teeth and a attitude with all this, small animals do not stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,802,255 times
As is only reasonable, we keep all of our animals up to date on their shots. We live back in the woods, Dreifus brings all sorts of critters to the back door, mostly coons and possums. Thus far we have been lucky, he is quite a bit bigger that the coons or possums and has dispatched them without a mark. After he leaves us this "present" we always check him for wounds, none to date. We watched as he dispatched a coon in the front yard, he scooped it up, gave it a violent shake, then brought it to the back door quite dead.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
my 5 mouth old puppy was being bad and hard headed he runs away from us and runs in the road and stuff so we put him on his chain for a whole day . and it was his first time spending a night outside , so the next morning some how he got loose and was at the door scratching to come in so we let him in and i seen an scratched on his leg and under his arm its like an ring it was about 3 inches wide idk if its a scratch mark or bite mark . its really my brother dog but i take care of him more and stuff and im worried so now everysince he comes back i dont have to walk him on the chain he pee's and run to the door . to be honest i dont know if it was a ratcoon but the other night i seen one walking infront my car idk if he was in the trees and got cut by bushes but i gave him a warm bath and put some stuff on it and healed a little but he was limbing at first but now it healed a little he runs and stuff . oh yeah also when i take him out to use the bathroom he seen so terrifide if he hear a truck or something and in the middle of peeing he'll run to the door . what should i do ? or maybe he just scared because he dont want us to leave him outside again .

Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
Hi how are you? If my dog maybe bit a racoon can it get rabies?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,071,468 times
Yes - raccoons are one of the most prevalent carriers of rabies in the U.S. They are often asymptomatic themselves.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:37 PM

25,742 posts, read 16,359,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
In NH there was a serious problem with rabies in the raccoon population....I would have your dog looked at by the vet immediately.
We used to kill every raccoon we saw in the daylight assuming it was rabid. A very good point you make.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:39 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewolf View Post
Although I agree wild animals have no real human characteristics, raccoons ARE vicious and will possibly kill a small animal that wouldn't stand a chance with it in a fight.

It happened with one of our dogs this morning. She was a rather lightweight shy and very friendly chihuahua mix and wouldn't hurt a fly. We found her not more than 100 feet away from our house. It looked as though she was grabbed between the front leg and head and was violently shaken. I saw raccoon tracks nearby.

You can't tell me that raccoons are not vicious, as our poor dog has proven they are.
UGH!

Ok, let me put this in language you'll understand.

Racoon=Wild. Wild= Probably saw something in your "dog" to make it interesting. Chihuahua= You dont leave it outside. Period. Its the size of a rat and that = prey to every other wild thing that lives outside. Owls included.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,209,384 times
We hunt coons in the winter so the bear dog do not get bored.

We are turn out at least six or, seven dogs.

Then we track him with GPS collars and a hunter is right behind him with a gun.

If someone traps a coon it can be put in a roll cage for the dogs to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6R70Me_Kw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdcoN...endscreen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZC9...eature=related

Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,445,744 times
Raccoons are wild animals, and most of your dogs are lazy domesticated couch potatos. Just be careful and don't purposely let your dog out if there is a raccoon. Dogs of all sizes can get torn up by coyotes, raccoons, and even foxes. And if you have a chihuahua don't leave it out alone.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 AM

30 posts, read 66,700 times
We have no raccoons nearby, so no worry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs