Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 PM

667 posts, read 2,296,225 times

Advertisements

This is a situation that is a bit difficult for me mentally right now.
I must start with the fact that I am due to give birth to my second son anyday now, my actual due date was Sat. March 7.
My family & I live with a friend of ours who owns her own big house & well, with times being the way they are right now, it's definately a great thing we have going. So, the family consists of me, my husband, our 5 year old son, our 2 year old cat, our soon to be born son & the gal who owns the house.
Everone works but me & the houseowner works 10-12 hours a day, usually 6 days a week. She is never here & decided to adopt a dog.....you see where this is going.
The dog, Jules, is a 3 year old Shar Pei/Boxer mix who loves being a lover, but loves running away. You CANNOT let her slip through the door, be outside alone without supervision & goodness, I just don't have the time or energy to deal with her! The houseowner thought she was adopting a puppy & after she was around Jules for a few days, decided that she didn't want to keep her.
So, Jules dug a hole under our fence & went on her adventure. Animal Patrol called the original owner, who then gave them our number & they contacted us to come & get her. So, when I was on the phone with Animal Patrol they asked me for basic info., I gave it to them & when I got Jules back I also got a City License paper with her in MY name!! Ahhhhh!
I didn't want this dog to begin with, I already have enough on my plate & now that Jules is back home the houseowner was annoyed. She would rather let Jules run off & not worry about her whereabouts, then take responsibility of finding her a new home. But now that she is registered in my name, if she gets loose again I will get cited for it. No thanks.
I don't want to send her to the pound, bc I know how incredibly overloaded they are & Jules would probably end up euthenized (or whatever the correct spelling is )
So, what to do?? I will be in the hospital any day now, Jules will probably not be cared for while I am gone & I did not ask for this. My husband enjoys the dog. My son LOVES playing with her, but the houseowner now wants nothing to do with her.
I'm confused.
And I appreciate any advice...you know I love to vent on CD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,925,200 times
My 2 cents:

You have a (sort of) good thing going with your roomie, you also have a baby coming in a few days (maybe hours ).

This will all be a high stress situation, which getting into an argument with your housemate over a dog that isn't wanted even by the TRUE owner is not worth it to me.

Make her do the hard thing and take the dog to the pound. Sounds like you have enough on your plate to deal with anyway.

I imagine at some point you and your family are planning to move out, just get a dog then.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,865,368 times
I think you're getting a good deal too. But it's HER house, not yours.

If you don't like it, leave.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,669,572 times
Wow. Tough spot between a rock & a hard place because you care about the dog, family got attached...

Is there anyone who may foster, until y'all get your own place? Perhaps a co-worker of your husband's, or if Kiddo's in preschool yet, maybe a teacher could put a little bulletin up in the school? Perhaps there's a rescue that, if you donate, could take her and find a foster for the time being? Is there a vet nearby who could post an adoption note in the lobby?

Hey, ask hubby to check with the Police. This dog may be a potential good one for them to train in K-9 unit (never know what some breeds/mixes are capable of.) Maybe a Policeman will take her home! Sometimes these situations turn out to be blessings in disguise!!

Best wishes with this.

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-09-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I think you're getting a good deal too. But it's HER house, not yours.

If you don't like it, leave.
First off, ewww...... if you don't have anything to say other than THE OBVIOUS, then why post at all...?

And to all the other posters who commented, thank you for the input.
Like I said before, I didn't want a dog to begin with. The houseowner did & she just ditched the responsibility on my family, mostly me since I am the only one home during the day.
So, hopefully talking to her about adopting the dog out to another family will be OK. She doesn't talk about Jules very much. She just took her in & then acts like she isn't even here.
I had to buy her food! I let her out to go potty & anything else she needs. It's not that we are all attatched to her, she has only been here 3 weeks, but I definatly don't want bad karma on me for not caring for an animal.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,892,819 times
Default Tough call....

I think it's great that you stepped up to fill the void and care for this dog. However, it sounds as of you're in no position to handle the dog long term.

I think the best thing would be to call Animal Control and explain what happened and if you can't find another home for the dog quickly, take it to the shelter. Think of it this way: If the dog gets loose and runs the street, it could be hit by a car, harassed or tormented by sickos, or worse. If it's in the shelter, it will at least be safe and have a chance to find another home.

Euthanasia is far kinder than a miserable life on the street would be.

I'm sorry you are in such a difficult position.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I think it's great that you stepped up to fill the void and care for this dog. However, it sounds as of you're in no position to handle the dog long term.

I think the best thing would be to call Animal Control and explain what happened and if you can't find another home for the dog quickly, take it to the shelter. Think of it this way: If the dog gets loose and runs the street, it could be hit by a car, harassed or tormented by sickos, or worse. If it's in the shelter, it will at least be safe and have a chance to find another home.

Euthanasia is far kinder than a miserable life on the street would be.

I'm sorry you are in such a difficult position.
I view this situation with new hope after this message! Thank you Leorah!
You are right & I will talk with the homeowner when she gets home today about the options. I don't want her to be offended by giving the idea of finding Jules another home, but what other choice is there at this point, yah know.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM

315 posts, read 1,089,413 times
why don't you contact a boxer rescue and see if they can help. or a sharpei rescue. try and take the dog to a rescue shelter that is a non kill shelter and they will be glad to find him a home. if jules is such a lover, than i'm sure he'll get adopted. call your local petsmarts or petco and see if there are people to foster.

thanks for caring for jules and his well being. i know it's not what you wanted but you are the only one he can count on right now.
good luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,839,876 times
Thats a fairly highstrung mix of dog breed and I don't see how you can handle it with a baby, nor would I allow the dog around the baby especially because it is an active breed and new to the situation and family.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,629,535 times
Get the dog to a rescue group if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs