U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
c99 c99 started this thread

237 posts, read 915,142 times

Advertisements

Pit bull attacks, kills puppy at dog park (http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/mar/10/pit_bull_attacks_kills_puppy_at_dog_park74426/ - broken link)

I am posting this article, not to spark controversy, but rather as yet another warning about dog parks. As an aside I am NOT an advocate of BSL, but belive that only spayed/neutered dogs should be allowed into dog parks; maybe even only one dog per handler, too, not that it would have prevented the attack in this case. I imagine since the dog was adopted from the SPCA that she was spayed.

One of the things that gets me is one of the last lines in the article:
"...apologized and promised to get Rocket socialized and trained."

I (imagine) that I'd be saying a lot more than that if my dog killed another dog, though the perpetrator's owners did say that they "feel terrible about the whole thing." I'd be apologizing profusely and would offer to purchase the victim's owner a new dog. It would be the right thing to do, imo.

I definitely agree with, "We don't believe in bad dogs," she said. "We just believe in bad owners."

Such a sad story all the way around.

If your dog killed another dog, would you keep it or humanely get it euthanized? I've never been in this situation before and would be scared out of my pants if I was. I guess my fear would be if an attack would happen again, would it escalate to a child? ... so difficult to know what to do.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM

10,091 posts, read 35,181,653 times
How very very sad. This could have been prevented, at least in this case, with a separate enclosure for smaller dogs.
I can't imagine what both parties must be going through. For the owner of the smaller dog to have had to witness this, and for the owner of the larger dog...the guilt must be terrible.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM

10,507 posts, read 14,140,435 times
I wouldn't take my blue tick hound to a park with little dogs either, her hunting instinct is waaaay too strong..

Old 03-10-2009, 12:45 PM

2,509 posts, read 5,062,580 times
I agree that there should be separate enclosures for small breeds. I would never take my tiny chihuahuas to a dog park. They don't have a clue of their size, and maybe that poor maltese didn't either. I blame the owners.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:55 PM

5,979 posts, read 12,979,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c99 View Post
If your dog killed another dog, would you keep it or humanely get it euthanized? I've never been in this situation before and would be scared out of my pants if I was. I guess my fear would be if an attack would happen again, would it escalate to a child? ... so difficult to know what to do.
folks, animal aggression does NOT always equal human aggression!! no, I see NO reason for this dog to be put to sleep. a lot of dogs are not good around other dogs, especially around smaller dogs. there a ton of dogs and dog breeds w/ a high prey drive that will attack smaller dogs. again, it's no reason to PTS a dog, just need to either get it trained better or keep it on a leash at all times around another dog. there's no reason to assume DA would escalate to (the somewhat unrelated) HA

it's a sad situation. I dislike dog parks in general, and I especially wouldn't bring a small dog/puppy to a park where larger, unknown dogs were running around. even if there's no aggression involved, a large rambunctious dog can really hurt a small dog

Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM

19,158 posts, read 19,880,595 times
Im surprised this sort of thing dosent happen more often. I dont get the whole dog park thing. I wouldnt feel comfortable turning my dogs loose with a bunch of other dogs.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,746,768 times
How sad. A similar thing happened at a dog park in San Diego not too long ago. A leashed pitbull was sitting by his owner, and an unleashed chihuahua went up to it to play and the pit attacked and killed the small dog. They have been playing fine off leash, but the pit did not like to be approached once his owner leashed him. Another reason why leashed dogs should never be inside a dog park. Since that incident, that particular park has put up dividers, seperating the big dogs from the little dogs.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 20,997,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im surprised this sort of thing dosent happen more often. I dont get the whole dog park thing. I wouldnt feel comfortable turning my dogs loose with a bunch of other dogs.
Exactly. It's just an invitation to disaster. There is no way that one can predict the behavior of other people's dogs, especially pit bulls. That's how I see it, anyway.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
ZSP

1,559 posts, read 3,872,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree totally. My city doesn't even have a dog park but I wouldn't make use of it even if there was one. I have three well trained and socialized dogs (2 Bostons and a Frenchie) but would never turn them loose with animals unknown to me. My dogs are small, but with super big attitudes and I mean that in a good way - they don't know they are small and will not back down if confronted.

I belong to a couple of dog forums/boards and read about the horrors of dog parks all the time. Nope, dog parks aren't for me.

eta - I love pit bulls and have been around many, many well behaved, trained and socialized ones. The breed has been misused for so long and as long as this continues, and BYB's/puppymills exist, this sort of thing will sadly continue.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 PM

2,049 posts, read 5,807,950 times
I'm not displacing the blame off the owners of the pit-mix. But who in their right mind would put a 5lb Maltese puppy in with the big dogs at a dog park? Those types of dogs tend to nip and annoy the bigger dogs. Plus, I have always noticed that dogs tend to be more aggressive towards puppies, it seems like a dominance issue. It takes such a small bite from a big 60lb+ dog to kill a 5lb Maltese. Dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or