Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,238,354 times

Advertisements

I noticed my 6 month old EB has been salivating a lot today. He never does, so I'm kind of concerned. I left him for an hour this morning, and when I came back, the kitchen floor was covered in saliva. It looked like he peed, but then I realized it was massive amounts of saliva. Same thing happened this afternoon. He is completely drenched near his mouth area and has drool hanging from the corners of his mouth, something he has never had.

Should I be concerned? He's acting normally otherwise. He's playing, eating, drinking and running around like usual. The only difference is this drooling, which doesn't seem to bother him. I read up on it a bit, and he doesn't have fould smelling breath (well, not more foul than usual), is not vomiting, lethargic, or otherwise acting any differently than he usually does. I highly doubt it's bloat, since he's not in any kind of pain. My vet is closed already, so I can't call until tomorrow. Is this something I should be worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
That much drool is abnormal, I think. I know you had some serious vet bills lately but I'm afraid another one is in order. Or at least call the vet tonight. No waiting for poor PC!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,115,497 times
Have you examined the inside of the mouth for any foreign objects (use a high powered flash-light if you have one) - a splinter, a piece of bone, a thorn, something lodged between tooth and gum? Does dog have access to any plants that might have triggered this - the plant might not be toxic, but they might be "spicy" as it were.

My experience with dogs were all foreign objects but I had a horse that ate something he shouldn't have and excessive salivation was the result (and the plant wasn't toxic but it was "hot")

Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM

I just called the e-vet (they know us by name now) and they don't seem concerned and said to just monitor him overnight.

I looked in his mouth with a flashlight, and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. We have no plants in the house, but there are tons on our walks. He only sniffs them though, and I've never seen him eat them. He seems better now that I'm home. The drooling is at its worst when he is sleeping, not sure if that means anything.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
He's only six months old, so it could be a tooth (he's teething age) OR nausea. Nauseated dogs drool. Either one is my bet...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
ZSP

1,764 posts, read 5,096,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
He's only six months old, so it could be a tooth (he's teething age) OR nausea. Nauseated dogs drool. Either one is my bet...

This would be my guess as well. But, I'll also say that excessive drooling can also be a sign of stress and/or anxiety. Is it possible that something spooked him today? Maybe someone leaning on the doorbell, or kids banging on a window? Had you "fussed" at him over a potty accident or something similar? Just asking.

Let us know how he's doing in the am and if you see the vet, what he or she says.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 PM

Yea, the breeder and e-vet both said it's most likely teething, since he is completely normal otherwise. He's running around and playing and doing everything as he normally would. I was just concerned because I have never seen such a huge puddle of saliva before.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 16,811 times
my 10 yr old american bulldog has excessive salivation, he is eating, drinking, wagging his tail and playing with his sister? what can this be?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
it can be a sign of distress. Call your vet.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,771,467 times
given the evets not worried and his age...id be willing to put a good bet on a large perminent tooth comming in...
if he likes kong/rubber toys or rags you can dip one in water and throw it in the freezer, if its teething the cold rubber chewies (or a cold rag) will help with the aching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs