Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,240,624 times

Advertisements

Barndog...

Maybe Barnaby would like to have a little friend visitor for awhile, while he waits for his lab work results. Dogs need doggy friends, too...

I agree that woman doesn't deserve a dog, much less such a small dog to let run loose. Those tiny dogs are smaller than squirrels & some bunnies.

If there were more dogs than humans in this world, the world would be a better place to live.
I think if we all had the room & plenty of $$$ to feed, heartworm, flea & tick preventive, cushy beds & soft blankets and tons of toys & balls...I think we could all handle several more dogs in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM

795 posts, read 4,524,919 times
sillypups -- what you said: "If there were more dogs than humans in this world, the world would be a better place to live," that is so true!

chubba -- here's the thing: terrible accidents can happen. dogs can come out of nowhere, and you can not see them and hit them, i understand that.

but if you see a dog on the side of the road, and you start to drive past it, and it darts out in front of you where you hit it, don't you have a responsibility, at least morally, to take the dog to the vet?

i do agree, the owner of a dog who is set free to run is the one at fault. but sometimes a dog gets free by accident. in that case, i guess it's still the owner's ultimate fault and responsiblity, but what happens if they don't know where the dog is and are looking desperately for it?

i'm just very frustrated right now.

i see a lot of dogs running loose, and not very many people slowing down when they see the dogs on the side of the road, which is dangerous and irresponsible. and it always seems like i'm the only one stopping to try to get my hands on the dog and get him/her home again.

plus, i have a unique perspective on this: i am staying somewhere right now where the walk i take with my leashed dog is down a road that doesn't have sidewalks, and people pass us going between 55-75 mph without slowing down at all or getting over even a couple of feet.

we're standing there about three feet off the road trapped b/w the ditch and the road, and these people are talking on their phones, reaching into the backseats, etc, and all it would take would be for me or barnaby to step out and we would be roadkill.

(if i had ANYWHERE else to walk him, i would. but this particular road is my only choice, and i try to take him out there when the traffic is at its slowest. i hate the country.)

the point is: if people don't slow down for ME, they're certainly not slowing down for dogs. which is what happened to the chihuahua yesterday.

so i do think these folks should be held responsible, at least somewhat.

and that's it. my 2 cents on the subject.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,240,624 times
Barnaby you need to live in the country...where we live. It is so peaceful & quiet.
Many...many dog people in this neck of the woods. If not pets...then hunters with their labs, beagles & bird dogs. Everyone around here respects the dogs.

When driving down the highways around here, people flash their lights when they see a dog near the road. Oncoming traffic thinks a cop or state patrol or Sheriff is ahead of them. HA !!! It's a dog... stupid...that means slow down & pay attention.

My girlfriend & I were going shopping one day, we were about 2 miles from my house when we saw not just a dog, a mama dog & her 2 pups. They couldn't of been more than 8 weeks old. We had to stop, even though we had big plans & had to get back ASAP. Needless to say... we took the mama dog, a beautifil yellow lab & her pups back to my house. We gave them water & food, even some toys to play with, and started calling all the neighbors to see if we could find out who the owners were. After 3 hours, we finally found the owners, they were coming to pick the pups & mama up. After we took photos of them, played with them & just loved them to pieces. We almost wished we didn't find the owners. We fell in love with those stinky dogs. Yes they were stinky, but we didn't care.

The owners came & said the dog & pups walked away from the house & they walked about a mile from where we picked them up from. We never saw them again.

We never did go shopping ~~~~~~~~~~who cares we saved some puppy lives that day.
It was a beautiful day.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,470,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Barndog...

Maybe Barnaby would like to have a little friend visitor for awhile, while he waits for his lab work results. Dogs need doggy friends, too...
Absolutely! My upstairs neighbor's dog had surgery, and even though she was too weak to even lift her head, her tail wagged energetically when I approached with my pup to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
[cut for length] We never did go shopping ~~~~~~~~~~who cares we saved some puppy lives that day.
It was a beautiful day.
How sweet... good for you

Old 05-18-2009, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 15,588 times
I would, try to find the owner if he wasnt right there, There are no penalties for you for hitting a dog because they are not supposed to be on the road, if you hit it and it runs away like they do sometimes, call animal control give them the info you have cause they may be able to find the dog.
never just leave it there in the middle of the road to have people continually run over it and have its owner have to find it dead, I would knock on a couple doors to see if anyone knows whose dog it is.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:08 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,680,380 times
You have zero financial responsibility for striking a loose or unleashed dog with your vehicle, more or less regardless of how negligent your driving was.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 42,910 times
In 2005, I was the passenger in a vehicle that hit a dog. The dog was chasing a cat, and darted out in front of us. I wasn't sure if it was stuck under the car, I could hear it whining. I got out to help, and when I peeked around the edge of the car, the dog (lab mix), jumped up and attacked me. He went for my throught, but I put my arm up, and he held on to my arm for a few seconds (put a hole centimeters from my main artery there), once I got loose I ran away from the car, because my baby was in there and the windows were opened. The dog chased me down the street, nocked me over, and grabbed my heel. My only option as I was laying in the gutter, was to kick his nose with my free leg. I did get him off, and the driver (who was in shock), finally got out and waved him away.

Needless to say, I did not blame the dog for the attack. He was probably in shock too, and fight or flight mode. Animal control said the only harm to the dog was some bleeding in his mouth(probably from the kick). However, his owners chose to put him to sleep...(this bothered me).

I was rushed to the emergency and spent 2 weeks in and out of the hospital, got a really bad infection and had to have tube put in. I have permanent scarring on the arm, but the foot seems to be ok now. Had a little PTSD with constant nightmares and headaches but that has gone for now.

Anyway, please please be cautious when trying to help an injured animal. In my case, I did not even touch the dog before he attacked me. In the future, I think I will stay in the car and call for help.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,687,517 times
This happened to my husband two years ago, just before we relocated, right down the street from our house...the neighbors were outside on their front lawn with the dogs unleashed and running uncontrolled. No fence. As he passed, one bolted right in to the street from between two idle cars and in front of his. Was not speeding but not crawling either (limit was 25).

(Strange white-picket neighborhood - folks would camp out with folding chairs in the driveways and drink beer...never mind we all had functional back yards...cars parked on the street because nobody wanted to use the driveway for the intended purpose.)

He stopped as quickly as he could but the dog was severely injured. He got out and tried to help the owners...they were baffled...either stupid or in shock, really don't know which. "I don't know what to do!" That's what they kept saying...husband suggested they take the animal to the emergency clinic right down the road, because the owners were literally that dumbfounded about the whole situation...I'm not sure if he also suggested a police report or if that came later, but he did call his insurance company about it just to see what his policy was. Figured it couldn't hurt to inquire. Explained the situation, was informed that he had no legal responsibility since the dog ran in to the road...leave it alone.

We were literally in the process of packing to move. The truck was coming and we were very busy...husband went over a day or two later to check on them, discovered the dog had either passed or had to be put down. He was quite sorry for it. We like animals.

Just a few days before we were set to leave town, we get a letter in our mailbox asking for money...uhm, a 'contribution' to help offset the medical bill, and a copy had been provided. It seems the clinic tried a great many things to save the animal, all of which required the owner's consent. Several thousand dollars worth, to no avail.

I read the letter and the wording and was almost immediately disgruntled. Without coming right out and saying "We are in debt because you hit our pet!" (no mention of the fact that they had broken the leash law)...something inferring that he had recommended medical treatment. They explained how in addition to their significant grief, this was an unexpected financial hardship and they did not have the funding...summed up with something like "this is nobody's fault but if you can help us..."

We had actually for a second considered trying to help, but called the insurance company again and then a well-known lawyer...was told point-blank, NO, do not give them any monies or else you admit guilt. Driving recklessly? No. Did you drive up on to the lawn and run the dog over? No. OK, Not your responsibility.

So we were caught...wanted to be nice, but not liking the wording of that letter and finding ourselves agreeing with the lawyer.

Please, folks, keep your dogs contained.

Last edited by 33458; 05-28-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM

314 posts, read 1,101,586 times
I am struck by the wide variety of circumstance to be found by those contributing to this thread. My area is rural and dogs are less often pampered fur babies as they are hunting companions and working guard and watchdogs. I have hit deer dogs crossing public roads in season. On the most recent occasion, the dogs back was broken, it was suffering, and I did put the animal down immediately. Here- that activity was seen as both compassionate and neighborly, in other places it apparently would seem monstrous.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,955,417 times
read through this thread yesterday and as i was driving home from work last night, with the thread on my mind, i spotted a little boston terrier running around next to the road i was driving on..... pulled my car over to see if he would come to me and lo and behold, he jumped right in!! .... took him to the vet's office a couple of blocks away and lo and behold.... he is CHIPPED!! ..... there was a teenaged brother and sister who had found him first, but he escaped from them and they were frantically searching for him again when i found him...... stopped back at the vet's office this morning and they were still waiting for the chipping vet's office to call them back with owner info.....

IF the original owner cannot be tracked down and IF the teen's mom won't let them take him home, my bailey dog could have herself a new companion on those long lonely days at home with only the kitties for company.....

i just love a happy ending........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs