Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:07 PM

82 posts, read 440,049 times

Advertisements

I have fenced in area off my side porch, very handy to let my two cockers and mini schnauzer out in. It's presently grass..or I should say mud since all the snow has finally melted. Do any of you use stone, pea gravel etc..and find it works better than grass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
Mine are used to going on grass, I dont know as they'd go on gravel and I know they wouldn't go on cement. They had a heckuva time finding the 'right' place to go when we took them to a beach area a while back, they werent too thrilled w/ sand either.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
2 of my dogs prefer grass, one likes cement, and the other very much enjoys the wood mulch in my planting beds...as long as it is outside and on my property it is Ok by me...animal waste is actually an essential ingredient in organic compost, so I just rake it up and add it to a compost pile for future plantings. When it is mixed/covered with leaves, branches, etc. it doesnt smell poopy, it is more foresty.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
most dogs will prefer grass. I have known my dogs to find the only patch of green grass in the yard and go it for thier needs.
When we first moved into our house in Texas we had mostly dirt backyard with small patches of grass ( at least until we laid down sod). Anyways, my beloved Grutchen would always walk out to that tiny bit of grass, even in rain where she would gain about 1-2 inches on her height due to the mud on her paws. Still it was that small patch or nothing.

Plus grass is a great stomach settler if they get a upset stomach. Leave some of the grass tall like around the fence or planter for them to munch on as needed.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I have a smallish fenced yard to the back door tha is all pea gravel- not just for the dogs, but because it's shady and nothing will grow there. When it was dirt, it was mud. (Now it's sand under the gravel- built a new house on the spot).
Never had a problem with the dogs not going on gravel. They still pick out favorite spots, usually at the edge of the yard.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I have 10 acres of woods, grass, dirt, leaves you name it...as long as the potty takes place outside I'm a happy camper

Old 03-14-2009, 08:08 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
Second the happy camper. I find that my neighbor's yard is the best. However, we have an alley behind our house and they spread the wealth along it randomly. Sometimes the grass, the muddy tire tracks, the paved street... anywhere is OK as long as it's outside.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
My two dogs are like goats - they ate all the grass and vegetaion in the yard - including the bark off of trees. Our yard turne into mud and I was so sick of cleaning off muddy paws.

We sectioned off a part of the yard and put pea gravel in it - now they go there.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:59 PM

82 posts, read 440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
My two dogs are like goats - they ate all the grass and vegetaion in the yard - including the bark off of trees. Our yard turne into mud and I was so sick of cleaning off muddy paws.

We sectioned off a part of the yard and put pea gravel in it - now they go there.
Not funny (but I can picture it in cartoon form lol)

Did you have to put anything down before the pea gravel? Crushed stone or anything or just lay the pea gravel right on the dirt? This is what I want to do.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
If I were you I would put something down, even plastic, cause your going to have weeds grow up thru the pea gravel if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs