U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM

4,357 posts, read 8,377,735 times
I read somewhere about using the Original Dawn dish detergent. It is probably somewhere on this forum. It is good for repelling fleas also I think. I use it all the time. My two white dogs come out so clean and it has no chemicals or perfumes in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,076,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We use Johnson & Johnson too. It works very well and we can now wash him every other week because it's so mild, since he gets extremely dirty at the beach all the time.

Sillypups, I love the self service dog washes! We have at least 10, if not more, within a 10 mile radius of us. It seems that in San Diego, that's the thing to do! Most of them are near the dog beaches, so they get tons of dirty, sandy customers that come in after a day of beach play!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
sorry, don't mean to derail, but sillypups and mak802, i totally need to move to where you live! such dog-friendly places...

We would LOVEto move back to San Diego. We lived there in the early to mid 80's. Very cool place to live perfect weather all year long.

I remember Coronado beach as a dog beach, we use to go there.
I don't think Silver Strand beach was a dog beach back then.

San Diego & dogs running happily on the beach...Heaven...pure heaven.

Sorry for getting off subject...having wonderful flashbacks.
Mak802... I hope you know your a lucky duck...I mean lucky dog.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 AM

1,932 posts, read 7,337,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
What brand of shampoo/conditioner/detangler do you use on your dog? I am looking around and would love some recs. A friend told us some good things to look for are...hypoallergenic, tearless, oatmeal, aloe.
I agree with your friend. We owned American Pit Bull Terriers, all of which were pretty prone to skin issues (As well as sensitive tummies! lol! Our big bad pitties had sensitive tummies, that's kind of funny to me! ), so we were picky about what shampoo we used on them. We had some medicated shampoo, that we got from the vet, that we would use if they ever got any skin infections (Hypoallergenic food is what helped that the most though), but the majority of the time, we just used a good oatmeal shampoo. We have used both of these and were very happy with them.

8 in 1 Perfect Coat Nourishing Naturals Almond Oatmeal Soothing Dog Shampoo...
8 in 1 Perfect Coat Nourishing Naturals Almond Oatmeal Soothing Dog Shampoo at PETCO

AvoDerm Natural Skin & Coat Formula Shampoo for Dogs & Cats
AvoDerm Natural Skin & Coat Formula Shampoo for Dogs & Cats at PETCO

We like the oatmeal shampoos the best though. Also, we would never bathe our fur-babies more than once, maybe twice, a month, unless we had to. It's not good for their skin to really bathe them more than that.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM

947 posts, read 1,949,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
I used EarthBath which is an organic/ all natural shampoo and also SPA Fresh facial scrub for when Ted and Velma have super nasty faces... I know I know it's sad. Yes they do make a facial scrub for dogs. lol
Do you mean Earth Balance? This is a Great shampoo for Dogs!

It is very important that we use dog shampoo for dogs! Dogies skin cell layers are way less than ours, hence they are more sensitive and vulnerable, just think, we are just putting shampoo on our head, they get it all over their body. Human shampoos will strip their skin and coat. At the least, the shampoo should be free of colors, fragrances, harsh chemicals etc.

great place for great Dog shampoos and other products.

Everything you need to pamper the modern dog

Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 AM

106 posts, read 213,486 times
I have one mix that her fur is SO fine it tangles at the mere thought of touch. I use Magic Coat conditioner on her and found it really does help with the keeping the tangles out in-between baths. The rest are not spoiled like that, they get cold water hose baths....just kidding... I use J&J Baby shampoo and kill my back in the bathtub with them. I wish we lived near a place that had a dog wash. Lucky people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs