Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,940 times

Advertisements

What brand of shampoo/conditioner/detangler do you use on your dog? I am looking around and would love some recs. A friend told us some good things to look for are...hypoallergenic, tearless, oatmeal, aloe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo (or the drug store equivalent). It's hypoallergenic, tearless, and way cheaper than anything in the pet stores.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:41 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
We take our babies to a self serve dog wash. The facility is kept very clean. The tubs are up high so a human doesn't have to bend over at all. The water is at a constant warm (perfect for the dogs). It has a nice sprayer with on/off on hand control.
They have a nylon collar leash attached to side of tub, to keep your dog in.
They supply choice of 8 shampoo's, conditioner, rubber scrub brushes, wash cloths, large towel, large chamois, spray glow coat, furminators & doggy spray cologne.
Plastic aprons that tie on to keep you dry.
Blow dryers available also.
If you have a larger dog than or a very hairy dog & need more shampoo, they give it to you.
They tell you to wash your dog twice.
They have stairs or ramps for your dogs to use to get into the tub. One of our dogs loves to get a bath, but being over 100 pounds, he's afraid to get in the tub, they help lift him in.
They hand out dog cookies, too.
All this for $20.00
Best part you don't have to clean up the mess...they do.
Closest thing to heaven...there is LOL !!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:08 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo (or the drug store equivalent). It's hypoallergenic, tearless, and way cheaper than anything in the pet stores.
I use a kid's tearless shampoo as well.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:50 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
We use Johnson & Johnson too. It works very well and we can now wash him every other week because it's so mild, since he gets extremely dirty at the beach all the time.

Sillypups, I love the self service dog washes! We have at least 10, if not more, within a 10 mile radius of us. It seems that in San Diego, that's the thing to do! Most of them are near the dog beaches, so they get tons of dirty, sandy customers that come in after a day of beach play!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 AM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
josci - i use davis oatmeal and aloe shampoo for barnaby...this is a pet shampoo specifically designed for sensitive, dry, and itchy skin. barnaby's a 12-year old shih tzu, and i used it on him when he was a baby, and also as he got older. i have used other shampoos, but this one is the one that has worked best for him.

it's really good during the summer months when he is super itchy and uncomfortable...at those times, you just put the shampoo on and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then wash it off, versus just lathering him up and rinsing...for some reason the extra "sit time" seems to soothe his skin, possible b/c of the oatmeal/aloe combination.

also, it smells FANTASTIC, sort of like a fruity summer drink. he already smells good himself, his natural skin smell, but when you add this to the mix, i just go around sniffing him all day.

hope this helps!

Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,776 times
sorry, don't mean to derail, but sillypups and mak802, i totally need to move to where you live! such dog-friendly places...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 PM

692 posts, read 3,855,653 times
I used EarthBath which is an organic/ all natural shampoo and also SPA Fresh facial scrub for when Ted and Velma have super nasty faces... I know I know it's sad. Yes they do make a facial scrub for dogs. lol

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,940 times
Thanks everyone...we have been using Johnson and Johnson as well for shampoo and the detangler spray they make. I think I should use a conditioner too.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
I used EarthBath which is an organic/ all natural shampoo and also SPA Fresh facial scrub for when Ted and Velma have super nasty faces... I know I know it's sad. Yes they do make a facial scrub for dogs. lol
I use the face scrub too on my Boston girls, and my Frenchie's "man bits." They all get a wipe down at bedtime so after wiping faces, Wolfgang gets the remainder of the face scrub cloth used on his parts and let me tell you, his tummy area smells sooooo good. LOL Yes, I do sniff on my doggies all the time - Wolfgang is just a puppy and will be losing those man bits next month.

For shampoo, I use Kelco Plum White for my black/white Boston and Kelco Red for my brindle Boston. My dogs are all very short haired and don't get bathed often. Living in the dry, arid southwest desert, combined with too many baths, wouldn't be good for their skin or coat. They are my "rub & buff" doggies. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs