U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,538,502 times

Advertisements

I'm glad they are suing this company for selling puppy mill pups raised in horrible conditions.

Petland is accused of scheme to sell sick puppies - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_bi_ge/sick_puppies - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM

331 posts, read 1,208,726 times
I wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be true. My wife wanted another bird a couple years ago. The cockatiels we had all died, and she fell in love with this green cheek conure at a Petland store. The bird seemed fine when we brought it home. It died 2 weeks later, we sent the remains for autopsy, the examiner said it died of head trauma, we think it was sick and we didn't know it was.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,954,620 times
I'm not particularly surprised, either. The puppies at the Petlands Ive ever been to have always looked underfed and seemed lethargic.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM

13,148 posts, read 17,699,789 times
Im not suprized at any pet store selling sick puppies . The public really does need to stop buying animals from pet stores and then there would be no demand for them and then the pet stores would go out of business along with the puppy mills . I see people who end up with sick dogs and cats and yes birds too from these pet stores . If a pet store smells that is a sure sign that they dont keep up with the hygene requirements . I only purchase supplies from pet stores that dont sell live animals such as incredipet . I dont support petsmart because they sell live animals (birds ) . I also dont support pet supermarket . Learn to support the ones that are actually helping to eliminate the need for shelters .

Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,949,788 times
Agreed. I tell SO many people this, and they ignore it and buy the pups anyway. And some have ended up with bad neurotic untrainable inbred dogs. Find a reputable breeder from the breed of your choice's local club. They can hook you up with a good breeder. You will have to get on a waiting list. No cash and carry for good dogs.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,738,968 times
I don't understand who buys puppies from Petland or Animal Kingdom (and whatever other pet stores are at the mall). The dogs are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced (and apparently unhealthy). I mean, even if you find a great breeder they are usually not that expensive. Do people really purchase puppies there that often that they can stay in business?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,498,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I don't understand who buys puppies from Petland or Animal Kingdom (and whatever other pet stores are at the mall). The dogs are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced (and apparently unhealthy). I mean, even if you find a great breeder they are usually not that expensive. Do people really purchase puppies there that often that they can stay in business?
I have had people tell me, as a justification of buying these puppies, that "every puppy deserves to be loved"

Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,949,788 times
yea, they are ridiculously overpriced. There was one for like $1,000 at the petstore. Seriously, I had talked to a good breeder a few days beforehand, and her dogs were $750 raised in a family home and socialized. But again, not an impulse buy, you have to front up $200 and wait for the litter to come which may be months. People do NOT like to wait to buy anything. BAD mistake when dealing with animals.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
ZSP

1,566 posts, read 3,983,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post

They stay in business because people have an inate desire for immediate gratification and you know the old adage about "that cute puppy in the window." Another poster mentioned that people justify buying these pups because every pup deserves to be loved. True statement, but buying one frees up a space for another one to be brought in and the cycle continues and continues. Said puppies dam and sire are still sitting in filthy puppymills, in stacked cages 24/7 and being treated without any human compassion. When they can't breed anymore, most are shot or just dumped like garbage. Puppymills are strictly a money making business.

Please, think beyond the puppy at the store. It's a much bigger picture and story. SAVE A LIFE - ADOPT A PET

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 4,830,616 times
They buy the puppies from brokers (Hunte Corporation) who get the puppies from puppy mills. The AKC and the Hunte Corporation (the world’s largest broker of puppy mill dogs) have a long standing relationship; Hunte processes over 80,000 puppies each year. That's why Missouri and Oklahoma are the two top states with puppy mills...brokers love these people which keeps the cycle continuing. Buyers see these puppies and don't have a clue where they came from or the conditions that they were kept in.

This is one of many reasons why Oklahoma is trying to pass a current bill that's now in the senate (HB 1332 it passed our state house by a land slide). These puppy mill folks would take a healthy puppy to get checked out by the vet and get a health certificate. They would then send the health certificate from the other dog along with a sick puppy to be sold (bait and switch). The new bill when passed would require among a lot of requirements that the puppy getting the health check to be sold be microchipped. That way the health certifcate matched the puppy with the appropriate numbered health certificate.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 03-21-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or