Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,097 times

Advertisements

I agree with all the previous posts - I'm sure your "baby" will enjoy being your baby instead of just having babies.

Save a life, adopt a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
IF you get her spayed BEFORE 1st heat its a lot easier on her..the insision is lots smaller & healling time quicker. AFTER heat the hornes of the uteres stays a bit bigger Insision is much bigger. Spaying also increases dogs life span. You dont have bloody messes to clean up after. My sheltie tho small at 12 inches would get her tail drinched in blood & spray the wall just wagging her tail !!! You must have a warm place for the pups for at least 2 months or longer depending on your location. & If you thinking of making money even in the best of times finding the right homes is hard. With todays job lay offs & homes being forclosed on its more than likely the puppy that will suffer thru abandonment or even being put to sleep. Remember that the litter IS your responsibility for LIFE. Can you care for a litter of pups for 10 to 15 yrs? Please dont take this lightly Think Before you breed.
So IF you are even thinking of Spaying please DO. Believe me as a exbreeder you will have no regrets!!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would definitely agree with the other posters...if you have to ask these questions, you should not be breeding. Popular breeds (like Goldens) get overbred by people who don't know what they are doing - the result is unhealthy dogs. I was naive enough once to purchase a Golden from a backyard breeder....she was very sweet but we ended up having to PTS at only 5 y.o. due to epileptic seizures that could not be controlled. It was heartbreaking. Please do not add to this problem. Please. Have your sweet girl spayed and enjoy her.
We went through a similar thing. I got a choc lab from a backyard breeder when I was younger and more naive. She was gorgeous and one of the most athletic dogs I have ever seen, 70lbs of muscle with amazing drive. She had a very sweet disposition, highly intelligent and was a HUGE part of our family. At age 2 or 3 you would have thought that this is the kind of dog that should be bred, she was everything a lab was supposed to be, especially if you were looking for a hunting dog. We had to put her down at age 7 because she got lymphoma. She battled it for 6 months before we finally had to let her go, it crushed us. I realize that dogs get cancer just like people but 7 was awfully young. I wonder if improper breeding had anything to do with it. Nothing but shelter or rescue dogs for me now. In fact, I have adopted 2 dogs in the past 6 months. There are too many wonderful animals out there in need of a home that make for great companions.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Well heres a Proven FACT EVERY TIME a dog has a Litter of pups it shortens their life span. The shelties I bred lived 9-10 years [most only had 4 litters for me every 2 years & were spayed at 6 or 7 yrs] Puppies sold SPAYED by 6 months have lived to 15....

Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well heres a Proven FACT EVERY TIME a dog has a Litter of pups it shortens their life span. The shelties I bred lived 9-10 years [most only had 4 litters for me every 2 years & were spayed at 6 or 7 yrs] Puppies sold SPAYED by 6 months have lived to 15....
I'm not sure I would go that far. I have had 4 breeding females...all Goldens...the youngest one just died 2 weeks ago at age 13...the others at 14, 14 and 15..a pretty good life span for Goldens. So to say EVERY TIME they are bred shortens their life span is sort of a misnomer. The youngest gave me 3 litters, the others 4 or 5...and none of them were ever spayed.
Don't get me wrong....I'm not arguing for the breeding....I'm just saying facts are facts. At least this was experience.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
A female in heat can be a real pain depending on the dog. Some of them can bleed fairly heavy. Males from your area can come around your home and even try to break in. I used to know someone that kept his dog in heat in their basement while he went to work. A male dog actually broke the window to the basment and went inside and bred to her. They are usually in heat around 3 weeks and should be kept away from all males during that time. Don't take her to the dogpark at all during her heat. Another thing is some dogs bleed, some don't, some mostly swell up. Do not think that when the bleeding stops it is over, that is when she is most fertile. Most dogs go into heat between 6mos.-1yr. Bigger dogs tend to be a little later, but do not count on that. The females themselves often try to get out and away, so you have to watch her closely. Do not leave her alone outside at all, not even in your fenced backyard if you have one.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 482,083 times
Well, I'm conviced I want to spay my baby now after all your advice. Now I just have to "have it out" with my husband. ha ha. Cross your fingers for me or pray for me or something please.
Leah

Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLeah1981 View Post
Well, I'm conviced I want to spay my baby now after all your advice. Now I just have to "have it out" with my husband. ha ha. Cross your fingers for me or pray for me or something please.
Leah

Just explain to him how much money it will cost him...with very little, if at all to me made. And then there is all the work it entails!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have not bred a dog, nor do I intend to but............

Where is this a "proven fact"? Or is that your own personal experience? Big difference.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
AngelLeah1981, how is your golden doing?

Just want to say that it is great that you made the decision to spay her! She will enjoy her life with you and not having the stress on her body and mind with babies!

Just wanted to say, Way to Go!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs