Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You can put plain peanut butter in the kong and freeze it. My dogs love peanut butter but then they like just about everything. I give them carrots, sweet potatoes and bananas occasionally as a treat.

Did you get Bitter Apple or Yuck? I need to get some as my wiem likes to pull the lattice work off of the under part of the deck. Not sure if that will help since it is usually when one of the cats runs under it.
Great idea! I will do the peanut butter today.

No I haven't tried that or know what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I just bought the bully stick today and had no idea it's made from a bull's penis! The guy at the store agreed they are better than rawhide, so I gave her one to see if she liked it and it was gone in five minutes. It's great she liked it but five minutes of chewing a bully stick isn't going to help the chewing problem. I'll try the peanut butter and Kong.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
my dog likes the hoofs, some of them are also stuffed. I also was told to state away from rawhide chews. carrott work for my dog also. petsmart has them.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 488 times
My 26 month old Labradoodle ate the corner of my brand new Rattan Dining Chair. I was in the computer room and heard a crunch but it sounded like his Nyla Bone. When I went into the living room, where the chair lives, I found the corner completely chewed up. Baxter loves his toys and he has many. He is therapy dog so he gets plenty of interaction from children, men, women, etc. Why is he doing this? He was a rescue. His owner tied him in the yard because his "legs got too tall" at five months. There he stayed until 10 months when she decided he should leave the home. He was uncontrollable when I got him and ate my baseboards in one of my rooms. After neutering him and taking him to all types of training for a year he became a therapy dog. He is now in AKC Advanced Obedience classes to be judged in the ring. He is obedience trained etc. Why is he now doing this? I really liked my new chair and I was so upset. I tried everything early on to stop the chewing behavior and it seemed to work. I am beyond frustrated now. The chair is the only thing he has chewed recently and I was present in the house.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
dogs generally chew for a small number of reasons
#1 teething....given his age...not likely
#2 BOREDOME...this would be my guess, lots of attention is great, BUT how much excersize is he getting what kind of mental and PHYSICAL stimulation on a daily basis...
labs and poodles are both WORKING dogs, they tend to be pretty high energy and need a lot of physical and mental stimulation.

first thing:
1: don't let him wander the house unsupervised...tether or crate
2: MORE EXCERSIZE (and not just letting him run round the yard, leash on and walk, a bike attatchment mabe, put a backpack on him ect...but increase his physical activity levels.
3: provide safe interactive puzzle toys, a kong stuffed with treats, busy bones, genius dog toys, anything that hes got to take his time and use his brain to figure out.

a TIRED dog is a happy dog...and a tired dog is too sleepy to chew lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspradlin View Post
My 26 month old Labradoodle ate the corner of my brand new Rattan Dining Chair. I was in the computer room and heard a crunch but it sounded like his Nyla Bone. When I went into the living room, where the chair lives, I found the corner completely chewed up. Baxter loves his toys and he has many. He is therapy dog so he gets plenty of interaction from children, men, women, etc. Why is he doing this? He was a rescue. His owner tied him in the yard because his "legs got too tall" at five months. There he stayed until 10 months when she decided he should leave the home. He was uncontrollable when I got him and ate my baseboards in one of my rooms. After neutering him and taking him to all types of training for a year he became a therapy dog. He is now in AKC Advanced Obedience classes to be judged in the ring. He is obedience trained etc. Why is he now doing this? I really liked my new chair and I was so upset. I tried everything early on to stop the chewing behavior and it seemed to work. I am beyond frustrated now. The chair is the only thing he has chewed recently and I was present in the house.
Labradoodles need an ENORMOUS amount of exercise and I am not exaggerating. Obedience and "interaction" will not help him get rid of pent up energy, only LONG LONG FAR FAR walks/runs if his vet says he can do it. Because of his background he may need to work up to the level that most of them can easily do - 5 miles a day without breaking a sweat. My guess is a healthy adult Labradoodle is capable of even doing 10 miles a day. Judging from my dog walking clients.

Take him out running/walking first thing in the morning, noon and night AT LEAST. A tired dog is not destructive and happier. Dogs walk, it's what they do. LIke fish swimming and birds flying.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Tabasco Sauce on dark "do not chew" areas and vinegar on lighter "do not chew areas"
We never had a problem with our Mini Aussie Chewing stuff that he is not supposed to be chewing.

We stay away from bullysticks, they made him too hyperactive.
He trashes rope toys within 24 hours.
Nylobones and elk/deer antlers seem expensice, but they last for a good 5 or 6 months.

When we can't take him to a dog park, we make sure he gets a good hour long+ walk.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,174 times
Why do dogs chew your things?

BECAUSE THEY ARE DOGS AND THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!

Well, let's see. You (or anyone) can crate train their dog so they CAN'T chew your things, or you can be kind and then end up so frustrated and angry that you get rid of the dog because you could not find it in your heart to do the right thing in the first place.

If you don't wish to put the dog in a crate, then get an ExPen and contain him that way. Google ExPen... they are available at any PetCo or PetSmart, or you can sometimes pick them up on Craigslist. Point is, the dog is going to chew things if it's there in front of them to chew. They must learn what is appropriate to chew and what is not... and if you are not there to teach him that... he will choose what to chew. It's what dogs do.

Think with your head and not quite so much with your heart. Help your dog become the great dog he can become..... anyone who leaves a young dog loose in their house to do as he sees fit..... well, he will see fit to eat the doors, walls, floors, your shoes and anything else he finds fun to chew on. Not his fault!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspradlin View Post
My 26 month old Labradoodle ate the corner of my brand new Rattan Dining Chair.
That's why: it was brand new. That was the first time he's displayed any inappropriate chewing in a long time right? He just wasn't clear on how this new object fit into the grand scheme of ok-to-chew vs. not-ok-to-chew. Always increase supervision whenever your dog is exposed to something "new" - he may need some guidance. Often you'll see potty trained dogs pee indoors when they go to someone else's house or to the pet store. New location can sometimes make them unsure of the rules. Likewise when we bring a new object into the house the dog might be unsure as to this object's purpose and may choose to explore it via his mouth!

Dogs are not great at generalizing. They might 'get it' that they are not to chew on the furniture in the house, but when we add a new piece of furniture, how are they to know that it is furniture and not a super big chew toy? Honestly once the humans in the house use the new furniture several times and put their scent on it, the dog becomes more clear on what this object is and to whom it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs