Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times

Advertisements

When I found my poodle girl in July, two vets told me they felt a spay scar. Then on Christmas Eve of this year I saw blood. What's this? Urinary tract infection? She's spayed so it can't be.... ??

Yes, it was. She was not spayed. There was no spay scar.

I brought her into the clinic when they re-opened on December 26. The vet examined her, was almost sure it was heat, and did the surgery for me that very day. I was mortified and humiliated to think I'd been walking around an unfixed dog all that time, me, the spay-neuter Queen! I'd rather be caught dealing drugs or something :lol

Anyway, she had a rough recovery, possibly due to being in heat at the time but also likely due to her age (she was 5, not a puppy - younger animals recover faster) Plus, all my prior experience was with cat spays, who apparently don't have it as rough as a dog. But with the pain meds, she was back to herself after the weekend.

So I encourage you to call your vet and see if they'll do it. I didn't think mine would (on the phone they told me no, but the actual vet said of course he would once we were there). It's a darn good thing I got it done when I did because we I have a fair number of neighbors whose dogs get out of their yards and come to visit mine, and I'm sure a few of them aren't neutered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM

305 posts, read 1,234,013 times
shes scheduled for wed am.......the soonest they could get her in............

Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Awesome! Good luck. I recommend the pain meds if they offer them.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Awesome! Good luck. I recommend the pain meds if they offer them.
yes gonna use them...and antibiotic....

Im a nurse, i dont want my pooch to suffer abdominal surgery...ouch!

Old 03-28-2009, 02:52 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Well dogs are not people...some pain is good keeps her from jumping & running around tooo much. A crate would also be helpful for when you are away and cant watch her dueing recovery. BTW were we supose to know you are a nurse....

Old 03-28-2009, 03:29 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Dogs in Heat

A female dog being in heat usually lasts 3 weeks...unfortunately. We adopted a pit bull 3 years ago and she had just had pups. We had to wait until she was over that, then planned to get her fixed before she came in heat again. We didn't make it...she was in heat for a total of 3 weeks.

I have to tell you, it was a fiasco her being in heat. I went to the pet store to get her actual doggie pants with doggie sanitary pads to put inside of them. I put them on her and walked away from her. Within an hour, she had the pants off and the pad that was in them torn apart. So...after examining the pants, I saw that I could still put the pads inside them so I put them back on her....closed the door to the room she was in and that was that. I go back in a couple of hours later to check on her and not only were the pants off her and in shreds...she had gotten into the box of sanitary pads and they were stuck all over the bedroom furniture, on the walls, on the floor...I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. That was it for the pad scenario...I followed her around with a mop for 3 weeks and got her fixed FAST after that. LOL...

Old 03-28-2009, 07:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Just a side note, smaller breeds can come into heat around 5 - 6 months of age and can go out of heat and back in within a month or so. My mastiff did that when she was 16 months old. Shocked me.

Also, if your pet comes into heat earlier than you'd expected and does wind up with a male, you can still have her spayed if you do it quickly. It equates to a doggie abortion, not very appealing sounding, but better than adding more dogs / puppies to shelters or keeping others from being adopted because your litter found homes and now the others won't.

I've taken in 2 chihuahuas that were bred that I had spayed before they gave birth. I love puppies as much as the next person, but I'm not willing to bring more poorly bred dogs onto this planet until we get the overpopulation problem under control.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:16 PM

OOOhhhhhh my poor poo-doo....

they gave me pain killers for her...how long should I give it to her.....
Doc said untill its gone.... I m thinkin 2-3 days???

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Take it 1 day at a time go by how she feel. Dogs heal fast week to 10 days she wont act like a thing happened [usually when stiches come out]

Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICN2U View Post
OOOhhhhhh my poor poo-doo....

they gave me pain killers for her...how long should I give it to her.....
Doc said untill its gone.... I m thinkin 2-3 days???
Please give it until it's gone. Dogs' skin heals in 7 to 10 days. It takes up to 2 weeks for them to fully heal. Dogs will hide their pain and act better than they feel when people are around. They have done studies proving this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs