Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times

Advertisements

Not meaning to hijack this thread. My question is related. I'm planning to transition from Nutro Max Lite to a grain free food (probaly EVO). My Cavalier is a big boy... 26 lbs. No, he's not obese; he really is a BIG boy. I give him 1 1/2 cup of dry, split between two meals a day. What kind of schedule should I follow for transitioning to a new brand of food? My boy has something of an iron stomach and he'll eat anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread. My question is related. I'm planning to transition from Nutro Max Lite to a grain free food (probaly EVO). My Cavalier is a big boy... 26 lbs. No, he's not obese; he really is a BIG boy. I give him 1 1/2 cup of dry, split between two meals a day. What kind of schedule should I follow for transitioning to a new brand of food? My boy has something of an iron stomach and he'll eat anything.
Traditionally, it's 25% new food to 75% of the old food for one week. Then 50/50 for another week. Then 75% new to 25% old for another week. Then, the next week, 100% new food.

In my case, Artie is grain intolerant (with a sensitive stomach) and doing what I'd traditionally tried (as above) was just a mess and causing him discomfort.

I gave him 25% of the new food to 75% of the old food for a day or so and then, thanks to FiveHorses and Dreamchaser, followed my gut and just said "forget this nonsense" and gave him 100% of the new food (Wellness Core). Best decision I've made in, like, forever. But that's just our experience.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,476,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devney View Post
Thanks, but I don't want anything with fillers or by-products in it. I'd prefer not to have any grains (or minimal) if possible. I've seen a big difference in her poop since I've taken her off grains.
Did you even look at half my suggestions?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:56 PM

128 posts, read 470,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Did you even look at half my suggestions?
I was not trying to be snotty. I've already read the Beneful label at the store and know that one is definitely not something I'd feed. As for the Nutro and Rachael's Nutrish, they have either brewers rice, corn gluten meal, etc. Nutro lists wheat flour as the second ingredient, I believe.

It's just not the diet I want for my dog. I wasn't in any way trying to pass judgment on your choices.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devney View Post
I've already read the Beneful label at the store and know that one is definitely not something I'd feed.
When I picked up the foster, the woman handed us a 40 lb. bag of Beneful. We politely declined and told her that we will provide the food. She is happily chomping on PC's Fromm and we're glad to provide her with quality food, if only for a few days.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
What kind of schedule should I follow for transitioning to a new brand of food? My boy has something of an iron stomach and he'll eat anything.
When we were switching, we would follow all the guidelines, but our dog picked out only the new food and left the old behind. He was switched completely in 2 days and didn't suffer whatsoever.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
I decided to go ahead and buy something different. I bought Natural Balance. Will make the switch in about a week.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Thanks, everyone for your help!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I switch between 2 brands: Beneful and Nutro. For Beneful I use the puppy formula (she's 9 months), and for Nutro I switch between regular puppy and large breed puppy (she's 51 lbs, likely going on 60). I'll probably stick with those brands - I think they have lifelong formulas.

Nutro is especially supposed to be easy to digest - I'd recommend switching that in with the one you're currently using.

I only use Beneful as my 2nd because the texture and flavor are more interesting.

Or, if you go to Rachael Ray's website, you can get a free sample of her new line of dog food, and it's big enough for a whole meal. (I haven't gotten mine yet)

I also vary her treats: various Milkbone brand, Zuke's healthy naturals (tiny so they last awhile), Goodlife Recipe (coupon on their website), plus the occasional fresh turkey and cheese.

These all seem to keep her tummy happy. But if I get her anything artificially flavored as beef or bacon, she'll fart all night long.
You really should visit the www.dogfoodanalysis.com website and check out the reviews and see how that Beneful and Nutro measure up...they are horrible foods. You should really look into switching to something with no fillers and by-products. Anything with a 4 start and up (6 being the best) would add years to your babies lives.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Nutro horrible? Not totally. I would say supermarket foods are horrible. I also take reviews with a grain of salt. Many of the products have no reviews and some have old ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs