U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2010, 01:12 PM

501 posts, read 629,819 times

Advertisements

I've had my rescue do this 3 times in the last year. First time, it was tonsilitis - got an antibiotic, cleared it up.

Second time - I was about to take her back to the vet to check when I also noticed that she was licking her rear end quite a bit more. Sorry, no way to put this delicately, but I donned a glove and some mineral oil to see if she needed her anal sacs expelled - and I don't know if there had been a plug or what, but one of her sacs was extremely full and it was awful to pop that out. Had NO idea that a sac could hold that amount of seriously evil smelling stuff. I've never had a dog that needed that assistance in that area in 26 years of having dogs here. In her case, I am wondering if this is a hold over from some bouts with diarrhea she had when we first rescued her (apparently, a proper firm poop helps expel those sacs on its way out - the internet was quite helpful here).

Third time was just a month ago - and I also noticed that my older dog with chronic bronchitis was coughing more than usual. We'd started using our woodstove, and had noticed a few times that with our indoor central fan on, you could smell the smoke from whenever we'd opened up the door to put in more wood, circulating around the house. Plus, I was perhaps dampening it back way too much for an overnight burn. Anyway, stopped using it to test my theory, and her symptoms disappeared and the older dog is back to his normal level of coughing every now and then. So it was an inhalant sort of deal.

Your description of the gagging/retching cough, the phelgm hacked up, and her reverse sneezing sounds the most similar to my dog's bout with tonsilitis - maybe your vet can check on that for you. My girl also drooled a tiny bit (from the sore throat) and would make a sound like a gulping/hiccuping noise with her nose in the air a bit (looking back, I think she was trying to stretch out her neck because her throat hurt when she swallowed). It sure isn't fun watching them like this. Mine sheds enough fur for a pack of dogs, but so far it hasn't been the cause (she is short haired too, never saw a dog shed this much).

Good luck in your search for a cause.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 16,435 times
My dog is doing this as well. EXACT SMAE SYMPTOMS. We have spent over $1,000.00 on vet visits. My dog is on 10 mg of pepcid twice a day plus fish oil and two antihistimenes. We have tried not having a fire in the fire place, changing this food three times. taking away everything that he could possibly get his hands on to eat. The vet has done a blood test and everything is normal. we're going in for Xrays in a week. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep posting. This is a major problem and no one seems to know whats wrong. And I can't take this anymore.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 PM

34,255 posts, read 11,482,805 times
It does sound as if it could be "reverse sneezing" to me.....if you google that....you will find descriptions and even video's.....if that is what it is.....it isnt any cause for alarm or panic....more serious it could be a collapsed trachea.....I am not a vet....my dog has episodes of reverse sneezing....scary but not dangerous or really a medical condition..requiring treatment. Check out the google video's ..... they put my mind at ease.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:36 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,800,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhansel View Post
My dog is doing this as well. EXACT SMAE SYMPTOMS. We have spent over $1,000.00 on vet visits. My dog is on 10 mg of pepcid twice a day plus fish oil and two antihistimenes. We have tried not having a fire in the fire place, changing this food three times. taking away everything that he could possibly get his hands on to eat. The vet has done a blood test and everything is normal. we're going in for Xrays in a week. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep posting. This is a major problem and no one seems to know whats wrong. And I can't take this anymore.
My beagle basset gets these exact same symptoms sometimes. I've never had to spend money on these symptoms.

I just take him outside to eat crab grass. That does the trick. In the winter, I buy that pet grass at the grocery store because it's hard to find grass under 2 feet of snow.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,227 times
Once in awhile my pug has gagging problems like she is trying to get air but she is healthy as can be i dont know what it can be and its scarring me

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,722,383 times
My pug reverse sneezes quite a bit, I wonder if that's what's going on with yours. I have a link to a description and I believe you can look on youtube for examples as well.

Reverse Sneezing (Pharyngeal Gag Reflex) - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM

315 posts, read 606,873 times
The reverse sneezing isn't dangerous, I'm more concerned that you mentioned licking the floor and the air. Have you noticed any weight loss in the dog, or more drinking than usual, diarhea every now and then? Has anyone thought of having this dog checked for EPI?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 16,435 times
I think we've figured it out. we started vaccuming out his kennel because we thought maybe he was licking up the hair from the floor of his kennel. We've done it every day for four weeks now and he hasn't had an episode. (he was usually having at least one every two weeks) We were thinking it was maybe like a dog form of hair balls in cats. Seems like its been working!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 6,423 times
Default my dog also a begal

my dog is doing the same thing every night did u find out how to help it

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 5,628 times
I have a mini border collie who only gaggs at night (usually between 2 and 5am) She also licks the roof of her mouth like she just ate peanut-butter. She does not do any of this during the day. She is a rescue dog who was "in the wild" for 3 weeks before we got her. Vet can't find anything. She has horrid seperation anxiety if my husband or I even leave the room. She is a sweetheart in every other way but we are pooped from being up half the night. Ever heard of panic-attacks in a dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs