U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 PM

4,551 posts, read 5,821,785 times
Default Indoor unleash dog park in TX!

This sounds like a really great thing Sadly they have decided to ban Pit Bulls and Chows and this seems to be grabbing every single headline I could find I wish they hadn't done this but I guess they didn't have a choice.

'Unleashed' indoor dog park in Dallas bans pit bulls in play areas | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/031909dnmetdog.49053936.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM

692 posts, read 2,714,326 times
I have only taken my dogs to the dog park a couple of times; Ted is the only one that really enjoyed himself.

However (being a pit bull, bully, "whatever you want to call the lump some of breeds" lover) I would rather not take a pit to the park. Not because of aggression reasons, but if your dog is even standing close to a fight that breaks out, you're bound to get blamed. Just because of how the public eye sees things.

So while this does sound pretty interesting and cool, it's still iffy for me. I also only take my dogs to the park that has a section for smaller dogs and then another for larger dogs. Ted plays with everyone else here, but a 15 pound dog against a bouncing, unknown larger dog is nota good idea.

You can't be responsible for other peoples dogs so you never know what will happen.

Neat idea though.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,041 times
I am CEO of Unleashed and wanted to clarify a couple points that may be of concern.

Unleashed has not banned Chows and wish we did not have to exclude Pit Bulls. Regardless of our personal feelings that there are good and ill-behaved dogs in every breed, largely depending on the training and attention, we simply must maintain our insurance coverage. Given our unique facility, insurance was not as easy to underwrite as might be with other more established businesses. Therefore, the carriers are more apt to listen to the stigma of the industry, rather than making individual decisions. No facility can be all things to all people or dogs, but we are working to accomodate the largest cross section possible.

We do also have seperate play areas for large and small dogs, which should allow for like size dogs to play as safely as possible.

Hopefully this answers some questions Moderator cut: website url

Last edited by leorah; 04-30-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: No advertising, no posting commercial website links as signatures

Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM

9,629 posts, read 22,584,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacree View Post
I am CEO of Unleashed and wanted to clarify a couple points that may be of concern.

Unleashed has not banned Chows and wish we did not have to exclude Pit Bulls. Regardless of our personal feelings that there are good and ill-behaved dogs in every breed, largely depending on the training and attention, we simply must maintain our insurance coverage. Given our unique facility, insurance was not as easy to underwrite as might be with other more established businesses. Therefore, the carriers are more apt to listen to the stigma of the industry, rather than making individual decisions. No facility can be all things to all people or dogs, but we are working to accomodate the largest cross section possible.

We do also have seperate play areas for large and small dogs, which should allow for like size dogs to play as safely as possible.

Hopefully this answers some questions Moderator cut: website url
unleasheddogparks.com
Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify those points mentioned.

Last edited by leorah; 04-30-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM

177 posts, read 368,842 times
What a great idea! I wish we had one of these where I live. When it's 80 degrees out, it's too hot for my dogs (a Keeshond and a Chow mix, both super furry) to go play.

As a Chow owner, it's really annoying to have everyone be afraid of your dog. But my Chow--and most of the others I've seen--just kind of walks around the dog park and has limited interaction with other dogs. She likes to just explore on her own.

It is very unfortunate that this place has to ban pits, but I understand about insurance policy. A friend of mine had a Rottweiler AND a pit bull; she couldn't find ANY home insurance and so goes without it. SCARY!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM

4,361 posts, read 8,052,967 times
I am not a fan of any dog park. I heard too many bad stories about the nicest of them. Too many people are irresponsible dog owners and eventually alot of the parks do shut down because of this. Plus you never know what shots what dogs have had or have not and if they are carrying a spreadable disease. My X took his foster dog to a beautiful dog park in a very affuent town. He saw many a fight between dogs many times. He stopped going when his dog was gone after by a Lab! He had a 6 month old female rednose pitbull! The woman would leave her Lab in there and wonder off to chat! I think they banned her from going! Another guy had an aggressive shepard he would bring in there that would start trouble! I realize not everyone has a fenced yard but those who do not should have a small breed dog! Big dogs need lots of room to run! To have to rely on a dog park for that is not always the best choice for the dog.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 AM

3,403 posts, read 4,476,221 times
I disagree that people without a fenced yard should have small dogs as alot of your small dogs need to run as they are high energy. Alot of the larger breeds do very well as apartment/condo dogs as they are not high energy and get by with being walked a couple times a day.

Dazzle and I have been going to a local dog park that is on a very large piece of land and is fenced. Yes sometimes there are fights but usually they are squabbles and end with no injuries.The actual fights I have seen are owner caused such as an owner bringing treats and giving them to some dogs but not all that have gathered around them or bringing a valued toy and another dog grabs it.

My pets peeves about the place is it does allow big and small dogs. I think that is a mistake as a small dog could get hurt in play when the larger dogs all get going. Dazzle runs very fast being a sight hound and he plays tag so tags the dog he is chasing with his paw or his mouth so I get very nervous when he plays with the smaller dogs ( which he loves) as a little 5 lb maltese could get injured by a tag at his high speeds. Most of the little dogs seem to delight in playing with Dazzle.

Some people also bring very small children or even todlers into the dog park and they too could get knocked over and injured even by non aggressive dogs.There were a couple young kids that were grabbing collars to read the tags to learn dogs names and not all dogs like to have collars grabbed. I just think small kids do not belong at dog parks.They were also picking up all the smaller dogs and the parenst did nothing to stop them.

Another pet peeve is there is the group of women who are regulars that pull up the chairs and sit under the shade of a tree talking the whole time so are not paying attention to their dogs. I have noticed quite a bit of poop not getting picked up and I have never seen one of these women clean up after their dog. I had Dash with us the other day and his nose had been bleeding and tends to drip on his leg. Well he went over by these women and I noticed them all looking over at me like I had done something wrong . Then they sent over a child to tell me my dog had blood on his leg and maybe I should come check it out. I told the kid he almost always has blood on his leg as it drips out his nose from his nasal cancer.

Ther are alot of dogs at the park that really do not "play " with the others but still enjoy walking around sniffing or sticking their heads in the gopher holes or interacting with people so I feel for most it is a positive experience. If the mix is wrong and a bit aggressive that day you do have the option to leave. If you learn to read body language and keep an eye on your dog you can do well at avoiding the aggressive dogs.

I do notice more aggressive behavior when puppy of say 5 months or so is there and often it is just an older dog teaching the puppy how to behave. At that age most dogs no longer cut puppies alot of slack and feel they should have manners. The puppies are not hurt but it can look frightening. I think it is important for the puppies to learn the correct behavior and that teaching does come from an older dog. There is a 6 month old basset hound that is forever being scolded by the older dogs and he just stands up wags his tail and goes on his way after a scolding.

Jazz and Dash spent alot of time at a park that allowed off leash dogs when they were younger and it was great. Dash still goes to a park that allows off leash play once a week to meet his play group and it is very important to him to go. Over the years Jazz has gotten too bossy and grumpy so she no longer goes. So yea I am a fan of dog parks. None of my dogs have ever gotten sick from the dog parks as most people that go to the trouble of going to the dog park are good owners and the dogs do have to have a license to come meaning they do have their rabies vaccine and since a vet must give that they are on a vaccine protocol of some kind. I think around here the dogs that don't get good vet care are the dogs that spend their lives in a back yard and have owners that do not take them out to places or on walks.

The indoor park sounds great for areas that get alot of rain or have cold winters or if it is air conditioned even areas that are too hot. We don't need it here as we are in Southern California right on the ocean so in the late afternoons we tend to have an ocean breeze that keeps it cooler then inland.

I do think it is great that the CEO of Unleashed posted his response as to why Pitbulls are not allowed and it is too bad that insurance companies feel the way they do about the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs