Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

Breeders breed dogs to sell. That's what she did. I don't approve of her decision, unless she is a truly responsible breeder. But my issue would be with Biden buying a dog instead of adopting. I think it's a poor choice, but it's his choice. He's obviously not planning on showing / working that dog, so why he'd buy one, other than for the 'status symbol' is beyond me. I think it's pretty sad. But if that's the kind of person he is, so be it. Fortunately there are people around that know how bad things are for pets and they are willing to adopt a dog instead of purchasing from an irresponsible breeder - again, not saying she is, I know nothing about her, haven't looked into it. I don't understand how they can give her a hard time for doing what she so openly does. She breeds and sells dogs. No one's given her a hard time until she sold to someone high profile? So up until then they were ok with her cranking out puppies? They're just using her to make an example. He's where I have my issue. Don't get me wrong, I detest unethical and irresponsible breeders, but if people would opn their eyes and not buy their puppies they'd have no choice but to go out of business. As long as people don't care about the backgrounds and genetic issues and health testing that should be going on and are willing to buy a puppy to obatin that worthless piece of paper as a status symbol, it's going to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:36 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,099 times
Can we please leave the PC nonsense behind? If you simply want a pet, and you are so inclined, by all means adopt a mutt or rescue from a shelter. Neuter it, tie a bandana around its neck, and treat it like a special-needs child for the rest of it's life.That will fit your needs nicely, plus you get to feel good about yourself from following your own moral compass. That formula doesn't work for everyone. Some of us have specific expectations about the animals we partner with that can only be met by specific breeds or types.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Can we please leave the PC nonsense behind? If you simply want a pet, and you are so inclined, by all means adopt a mutt or rescue from a shelter. Neuter it, tie a bandana around its neck, and treat it like a special-needs child for the rest of it's life.That will fit your needs nicely, plus you get to feel good about yourself from following your own moral compass. That formula doesn't work for everyone. Some of us have specific expectations about the animals we partner with that can only be met by specific breeds or types.
Have you ever looked into rescue? There are many breed specific rescues that only have specific pure bred dogs. I've got a pure bred chow right now that's a knock out. I've got 2 pure bred shepherds. I've got 3 pure bred chihuahuas. I've got a pure bred poodle. Just because you want a pure bred dog does not mean you can't adopt. That piece of paper you get with a purchased dog doesn't mean diddly if you're not planning on doing anything with the dog.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:51 AM

218 posts, read 755,628 times
ain't nothin' "PC" about recognising that some people (in the public eye) are more conscious of things than others are (as I said with Obama), and the other fact that society is more warped now than ever being obsessed with public figures instead of making their own choices. "ohhhh, Oprah, Paris and the president have this, so we ALL need one NOW!"
I think it's nice that some are more conscious, knowing they will influence things somewhat. So KUDOS to them! The others, I couldn't care less. Just voicing an OPINION on here.

And yes, we did have movies which influenced fads -- but we also USED to have news anchors whose jobs it was to report NEWS --not infinite versions of "entertainment tonite" and "the national enquirer" and People Magazine which influence the sheep even more on TOP of whatever the movies are promoting. Kudos to public figures who take this into cnsideration !

Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Why should a person be forced to get an animal from a shelter? Granted a noble thing, however, what happened to free choice? I didn't get Storm from a shelter I bought him from a breeder because I wanted a purbred GSD. I didn't plan on showing him or working him though. Should I be feeling super bad about myself...LOL!

That GSD puppy is adorable...makes me melt

Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Why should a person be forced to get an animal from a shelter? Granted a noble thing, however, what happened to free choice? I didn't get Storm from a shelter. That GSD puppy is adorable...makes me melt
I personally never said anyone had to. However, personally, I think it's a responsibility issue. If you plan on showing a dog or competing it in it's field of work that it was originally bred for, by all means buy a dog. I applaud those people. And for the record, that does not always mean it has an AKC certificate to go along with it. I've met some amazing true working dogs that aren't registered and they have been bred to other amazing working dogs to continue their lines so that the next generation of that dog has a greater chance of continuing to do the work it's ancestors were bred to do.

However, if you don't plan on that dog being anything more than a couch potato, I don't understand why you'd buy a dog. There are plenty dogs exactly like them in shelters being put to sleep every day. There are plenty in rescues that need homes and they've already been fully vetted, trained, S/N, etc. So why in the world would you continue to support breeders that are doing nothing more than continuing bad lines of dogs that have serious medical problems??

Again, totally your choice. But in all honesty I have very, very poor opinions of those that do it. Yep, it's a free country. Make your own poor decision. But don't expect me to respect you or to think you've made good choices. I just think it's irresponsible.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I personally never said anyone had to. However, personally, I think it's a responsibility issue. If you plan on showing a dog or competing it in it's field of work that it was originally bred for, by all means buy a dog. I applaud those people. And for the record, that does not always mean it has an AKC certificate to go along with it. I've met some amazing true working dogs that aren't registered and they have been bred to other amazing working dogs to continue their lines so that the next generation of that dog has a greater chance of continuing to do the work it's ancestors were bred to do.

However, if you don't plan on that dog being anything more than a couch potato, I don't understand why you'd buy a dog. There are plenty dogs exactly like them in shelters being put to sleep every day. There are plenty in rescues that need homes and they've already been fully vetted, trained, S/N, etc. So why in the world would you continue to support breeders that are doing nothing more than continuing bad lines of dogs that have serious medical problems??

Again, totally your choice. But in all honesty I have very, very poor opinions of those that do it. Yep, it's a free country. Make your own poor decision. But don't expect me to respect you or to think you've made good choices. I just think it's irresponsible.
I guess I'm not responsible Storm gets plently of excercise but more like fun stuff. Oh well I am very very very happy with my dog

Old 04-11-2009, 10:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
If you plan on showing a dog or competing it in it's field of work that it was originally bred for, by all means buy a dog. I applaud those people. And for the record, that does not always mean it has an AKC certificate to go along with it. I've met some amazing true working dogs that aren't registered and they have been bred to other amazing working dogs to continue their lines so that the next generation of that dog has a greater chance of continuing to do the work it's ancestors were bred to do.
A true breeder, breeds for this reason. However, what do you think happens to the pups that are deemed not fit to show/breed? They are sold as pets....they need homes too.
ETA: a responsible breeder will sell these pups as pets with a clause in the contract requiring they be spayed/neutered.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-11-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 10:09 AM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
Quote:
Make your own poor decision. But don't expect me to respect you or to think you've made good choices. I just think it's irresponsible.
Me too. Can't rep you on that statement, but I would.

Quote:
Oh well I am very very very happy with my dog
Glad to know you've made yourself happy. Sad to know that someone who could have had that home didn't get one and died instead.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Me too. Can't rep you on that statement, but I would.

Glad to know you've made yourself happy. Sad to know that someone who could have had that home didn't get one and died instead.
Oh goodness could you get a little more dramatic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs