Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,600,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
People choose to get their animals from breeders or shelters for a variety of reasons. Last time I checked, this was a country where people are free to make the decisions they felt best for their family. Don't see where it is anyone's business but the Biden's.
This country is losing freedom by leaps and bounds. I for one buy dogs from reputable breeders. I advocate adoption if you are only wanting a pet for the family. Even then an adoption isn't always the best choice. For people who show, hunt or do other competative canine sports adoptions don't really work for them.
But what has me really fed up is the fact that Petard is trying to hold ALL of us accountable for the mistakes of backyard breeders and irresponsible owners who don't give a d***!! I make sure NONE of my animals end up in shelters, so why should I lose my right to own or breed purebred dogs. My animals leave me with a garuantee that I will take any animal back if they can no longer care for it. This even extends to birds, turtles are any other living creature I find a home for including rescued animals.
I feel that line about "buy from a breeder, kill a shelter dog" is a huge line of crap. I didn't put that animal in the shelter. Lay blame where it belongs!! On the backs of the uncaring puppy mills and lousy owners who have become bored with the animal. The ones that place the animals in this position are to blame. Many of us take great care in breeding, choosing homes and the overall well being of each individual puppy. But then again, we live in a society that has people that are rewarded with state funds for producing kids they don't care for. Yet tax payers must reach deeper and deeper into already over taxed pockets to pay for these children. In the meantime their parents get more and more welfare money to sit home and do NOTHING!!
You will have to understand I spend way too much time writing to oppose laws that want to ban us from even owning pets. If you want your freedom you have to fight for it. It's one thing to fight animal cruelty, quite another story when you lose your rights to even have a quality dog or cat. Eventually it will be a world with no pets. I can't imagine such a cold and lonely world. It's up to you to save your freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,124,982 times
yea, there are political forums for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
I must be in the wrong thread. I thought this was about Biden (him being influential public figure, hence the issue-discussion??? Oh well, it was good to vent anyways!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 AM

314 posts, read 1,101,803 times
Sometimes "Rescue' dogs are simply not an option. I have a rescued OE mastiff, she's a good dog. I also have a Fila Brasileiro- I cannot think of a worse or more volatile situation than trying to place an adult Fila thats been uprooted from it's home and family.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I So why in the world would you continue to support breeders that are doing nothing more than continuing bad lines of dogs that have serious medical problems??

Again, totally your choice. But in all honesty I have very, very poor opinions of those that do it. Yep, it's a free country. Make your own poor decision. But don't expect me to respect you or to think you've made good choices. I just think it's irresponsible.
The idea of buying from a reputable breeder is to get dogs WITHOUT health issues. Don't know where you get your ideas. Maybe hanging out at too many petshops and puppy mills has affected you!
To me a quality puppy is a very sound decision. And I don't have to respect your lack of knowledge!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM

683 posts, read 2,643,922 times
So, if I want to get a dog, I have to make a choice. I can get one from somebody that breeds dogs professionaly. Or I can get one from the shelter that's been bred by an amateur. Or maybe someone I know has a dog that had a litter.

No matter where you get your dog, it's a product of breeding. Last time I went to the Humane Society, half the dogs were pit bulls. Any guesses what kind of people are breeding those dogs? In fact, I wouldn't trust anyone that breeds dogs and then just drops off the leftover pups at the shelter.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM

218 posts, read 754,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
yea, there are political forums for that
answering the original post in this thread?

<<<Breeder sells dog to the Vice President
Biden's Puppy Breeder: "Never, Never, Never Again" | NBC Philadelphia

I don't know if the lady is a legitimate breeder or a 'backyard breeder' but her world has been turned upside down after this incident. There was a backlash for the family not getting a dog from a rescue.

This is horrible since her legal fees are accumulating....

What do you think about this
?>>>>

Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,124,982 times
hmmmm........ well you said :Originally Posted by WhatSayYou
I must be in the wrong thread. I thought this was about Biden (him being influential public figure, hence the issue-discussion??? Oh well, it was good to vent anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post
answering the original post in this thread?

<<<Breeder sells dog to the Vice President

I don't know if the lady is a legitimate breeder or a 'backyard breeder' but her world has been turned upside down after this incident. There was a backlash for the family not getting a dog from a rescue.

What do you think about this
?>>>>

Old 04-12-2009, 08:23 PM

68 posts, read 220,305 times
Here is what I think about her. She should be arrested and put out of business as all breeders should in this country. What the hell is wrong with people. Selfish egotistical idiots breeding and people buying dogs while we kill oh I think it's about FIVE MILLION A YEAR IN THIS COUNTRY ALONE.......are you people kidding me or what. Every time someone buys a dog they are killing a shelter dog. Have you people no compassion whatsoever. People just disgust me anymore.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN 777 View Post
Here is what I think about her. She should be arrested and put out of business as all breeders should in this country. What the hell is wrong with people. Selfish egotistical idiots breeding and people buying dogs while we kill oh I think it's about FIVE MILLION A YEAR IN THIS COUNTRY ALONE.......are you people kidding me or what. Every time someone buys a dog they are killing a shelter dog. Have you people no compassion whatsoever. People just disgust me anymore.
Sorry if I have to be made to look cold hearted because I refuse to take responsibility for the a**hole that put those animals in the shelter so be it. I buy quality dogs bred for a purpose. I have also spayed/nuetered over 100 rescues that I have placed over the last 30 yrs out of MY OWN pocket. These were dumped by other people. I refuse to feel guilty about not cleaning up the mess of every careless owner or backyard breeder. Maybe your mother should have been more compassionate and adopted a hungry child. Do you do anything yourself to alleviate the suffering or just sit at that keyboard and blast others for wanting a quality animal? Go after someone worthwhile such as puppy mill breeders or welfare moms that don't understand the concept of birth control! In the meantime take a look at yourself. Are you as compassionate as you claim to be???

Old 04-13-2009, 12:58 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,338,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

What do you think about this?
One of the many reasons why I will never respect PETA. Like MADD, they don't use logic to push their ridiculous agenda, they just bully innocent people into forcing their ideals on the rest of us.

What's wrong with going to a breeder? He didn't go to some puppy-mill type pet store. If you want a purebred dog, going to a shelter is not the best option. Plus, shelter dogs have more health problems and you never know if the dog may have some kind of other breed mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs