Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times

Advertisements

My guy is four years old and surely has outgrown anything that starts with "puppy", but he does this almost every night and always after a bath. He runs around the house like a crazed critter for about five minutes, pulls his mat out of his crate, scatters my rugs all cockywampus then crashes under my bed to see if I will forget all about him and not send him to his crate for the night!

Totally normal and totally entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM

384 posts, read 2,221,445 times
LOL-Pinetreelover!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,535 times
Normal puppy behavior; I read someplace that it's a sort of growth encouraging spurt that just happens. I read the same thing about babies who CRY for hours every day, so who knows.

IF I were you, I"d make sure the kids are up out of harm's way, heavy furniture items are out of that puppy's path and let everyone enjoy the show! It won't last forever and if THIS gets to you, I'm wondering just how frenzied this pup is...because all of ours did the same thing and it's amazing to watch. Don't try to punish this dog...this isn't BAD behavior at all. Is this your first dog???

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Artie is by no means a puppy -- he's 5 years old -- but he gets what I call "the hypers" every couple of days.

He runs in circles, up the stairs, down the stairs, careening off a bed or two, laps around the coffee table, in and out of rooms, back in circles, on and on. Every minute or so, he stops, lies on the floor, looks around, and then starts up again until he's good and tired.

This lasts around five minutes. It's the funniest five minutes EVER. It's HILARIOUS!!!! I hope he never grows out of "the hypers" because it's great entertainment.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:48 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,535 times
LOL

If artie's vet says he's healthy, I'd not worry about his antics either. Maybe it's a "second puppy-hood"??

If the original questioner is really upset over her puppy's running, perhaps there needs to be a distraction after about three or four minutes of this...action. A chewy treat or one of those toys that you hide treats in. It's more a mind thing than a physical restraint that's needed I'm thinking..and I'm certainly no expert. A little bit of stretching the baby muscles mixed with challenging the mind. But putting that puppy in its crate to stop something that comes from instinct isn't going to be healthy in the long run.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,162,566 times
I LOL at my puppy and her evening antics too. In fact I encourage them about 10PM so she will then sleep through the night
She's hilarious though running and playing..........my gosh, she runs sooo fast!! We laugh and laugh at her. Then, we always take her out to pee/poop after playtime.
I give both my older dog and the puppy massages and they love it. Playtime, then outside time,massage time then bedtime!!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,806,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie is by no means a puppy -- he's 5 years old -- but he gets what I call "the hypers" every couple of days.

He runs in circles, up the stairs, down the stairs, careening off a bed or two, laps around the coffee table, in and out of rooms, back in circles, on and on. Every minute or so, he stops, lies on the floor, looks around, and then starts up again until he's good and tired.

This lasts around five minutes. It's the funniest five minutes EVER. It's HILARIOUS!!!! I hope he never grows out of "the hypers" because it's great entertainment.
My dog does this also...she's a year old. She does it every morning after I let her out of her crate. freedom!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,317 times
Our schnoodle does this everyday. We call it the *zoomies*. She will walk towards me or the kids and just fall down on her chest/front paws, waiting for us to notice her. Then, she's off. zoom~zoom

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM

156 posts, read 318,429 times
Boo used to do the same thing every night until he was about 2 yrs old then it wasn't quite so regular. He still gets a case of the "zooms" too - Dragonfly8. That was how he got the nickname "Zoom Bear"! I always kind of thought that it was like how a little kid will fight sleep in any way they can. He knew that it was getting close to bedtime and he was doing everything possible to avoid sleep. He would run in figure 8's all over my apartment. Up on the couch, the bed, over and over until he would just flop down at my feet for a belly rub. I always thought it was so funny, just a crazy little spaz! Now that he is older he doesn't do that so often. But when all of my boyfriend's family is over for a cookout of something (ends up being around 20 folks and kids from 2 to 9 yrs old), Boo does his laps and figure 8's. When the little ones ask what he is doing I tell them he is showing them how fast he can run and challenging them to a race. They love it and so does he...he loves to be the center of the world

Old 04-18-2009, 04:11 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
When does the puppy phase end? Any idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs