Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:19 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times

Advertisements

Curious as to how many people have their neighbors walking their dog and think it is perfectly acceptable to allow their dogs to potty right on your front yard, and never think about picking it up.
I have been searching for no **** lawn signs. Anyone have any other suggestions to curb this problem in the butt,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
Know how you feel drives me nuts.
They dont even think to pick it up !!! I actually opened my door and asked one woman if she was going to pick it up she looked at me like I was the crazy one.
I have said I am going to make a sign "this is my garden not a public convenience"
Years ago we had a neighbour who always let his dog go in our garden, so one day I was in a bad mood went out picked it up and dumped it right in front of his front door. It worked he never let his dog in our garden again.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:56 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
We had a neighbor whose lab liked to do it on our sidewalk to our front door. One day during lunch I caught them in the act. After asking them to pick it up with no resolve I bagged it and hung it on there fron door.

We now have another neighbor who refuses to pick it up in the common area in the front of my home. He even lets his god do it right in front of the trash cans designated in my neighborhood for just that.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
We always pick up after our doggie so I don't understand the inconsiderate jerks who don't. (Isn't that why they put newspapers in the plastic baggies?) Last week we actually had a man call out a big "thank you" when he saw me picking up her *** while on our walk. And it wasn't even his yard! So apparently some of our neighbors get special deposits.

I did see a cute "no no" in a yard last year -- it was a wood cutout of a doggie in position to poo with a sign saying "no no". Cute, but probably not what everyone would consider front yard art!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
We don't have the problem now out in the country, but years ago we lived in a neighborhood in SW Denver. The local covenants required pet owners to clean up their dogs messes ... even on their own property where visable to the public.

I had a neighbor who didn't think the rules applied to him and his Dalmations, which were allowed to run free most of the time. The dogs favored my front yard for their "business", and I asked the man several times to please pick up after his dogs. My wife, a professional landscaper with our showpiece yard, was very unhappy having this extra chore to maintain her work.

The neighbor's response was "you can't prove it's my dogs xxxxing in your yard".

And the urine from the female, who went in almost the same spot everytime, was destroying our landscaping. The male was marking his territory on my cars, which meant more clean-up for me, too.

No problem to get proof ... we took pictures of the dogs in action. Still no clean-up from the dogs' owner. So, the next time the dogs were in my yard, I cleaned up the mess with a big snowshovel.

Then then walked across the street with my full shovel, and the man opened the door in response to the doorbell. I shoveled the **** into his hallway and onto the entry wall and let him know I'd picked up behind his dogs for the last time.

Of course, the fellow was absolutely enraged and had some highly threatening and unkind words for me. I invited him to call the deputies and animal control, and handed him a quarter so he could make the call at my expense.

I pointed out that I'd photo evidence of his dogs repeatedly xxxxing in my yard, and that I had kept a log of the work I'd had to do to maintain mine in accordance with the covenants. The dogs had also dug up a bunch of our landscaping, which made a lot of extra work and expense for us; again, we had photo evidence.

His dogs were nowhere to be seen the next day, and shortly thereafter, he moved out and the house was sold to some nicer folks.

We never had another dog mess problem with our yard after that.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
wow! I am so sorry there are others who go thru this stuff. I have approached the owners while walking their dogs and asked them to kindly refrain from allowing their dogs anywhere on my property to relieve themselves. So starting with that and signs, then if no luck will pull out the shovels and haul it over to their houses. Crazy I have to plan out my attack isn't it? Such a waste of time. ug!
stay well all!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:09 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
There is a couple here in my neighborhood who has motion activated lawn sprinklers. Whenever a dog, cat, or anything bigger than a squirrel steps onto their lawn they get sprayed with water. The sprinkler makes one rotation, then shuts off (unless it is still detecting motion).

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
There is a couple here in my neighborhood who has motion activated lawn sprinklers. Whenever a dog, cat, or anything bigger than a squirrel steps onto their lawn they get sprayed with water. The sprinkler makes one rotation, then shuts off (unless it is still detecting motion).
I need to find that system, might be afraid of the price though and doubt my meter man would like it

Old 04-01-2007, 10:24 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
No problem to get proof ... we took pictures of the dogs in action. Still no clean-up from the dogs' owner. So, the next time the dogs were in my yard, I cleaned up the mess with a big snowshovel.

Then then walked across the street with my full shovel, and the man opened the door in response to the doorbell. I shoveled the **** into his hallway and onto the entry wall and let him know I'd picked up behind his dogs for the last time.

Of course, the fellow was absolutely enraged and had some highly threatening and unkind words for me. I invited him to call the deputies and animal control, and handed him a quarter so he could make the call at my expense.

I pointed out that I'd photo evidence of his dogs repeatedly xxxxing in my yard, and that I had kept a log of the work I'd had to do to maintain mine in accordance with the covenants.
Whoa! You are my hero- wish I had the nerve to do that! I had a neighbor who had one of those leashes that expands way out and one day I saw him letting his dog ****, not just on the edge of my yard, but it had come all the way up near my front door, while the guy stood on the street. And I lived across from a natural area where he wouldn't even have had to clean up after the dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Great idea- where can those sprinkler be found?

Old 04-01-2007, 11:15 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Here is a link for the motion sprinkler. There are other places that sell them, but this is the best price I have seen lately. Also, check on amazon & e-bay.

http://www.provenrepellents.com/products.php?pid=169 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs