Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times

Advertisements

If the dog is fighting to stay alive you help the creature survive. If the dog is finished and is just laying there unable to move - laying in it's own waste- Human comfort comes first- the dog sadly has to go.

Last Christmas eve...our old Husky that was in the care of a daughter was suffering- for the first few days the dog that was pushing 18 and had an old hip injury from being struck by a snow machine...tried to pleas us and struggled to make it out side to pee...eventually he could not make it and had to be carried.

Being the holiday season we could not get hold of a vet- or a vehicle to get the dog out of the city to die and be buried in the country that he loved. My daughter took matters into her own hands. The dog was having convulsions and was not long for this world...BUT as most of you know the life force is strong and they can linger for long periods...My brave and gutsy daughter managed to get hold of some very powerful sedatives...She called me in the middle of the night and told me she was going to overdose the dog..

I told her that it would not be pleasant and it would be messy....She poured a few stiff shots of volka and started to gently stuff pills down the dogs throat...It was a slow and miserable process- finally the dog's bowels let go and the dog stopped breathing...My daughter called me and I told her to wait and make sure the dog did not revive...she waited for a few hours and the dog was most certainly dead.

It was also a case of cost- and disposal of the body..My daughter did not have the money....Still the still old mutt lay in an industrial garbage bag...I came over and sprinkled him with fragrance---The daughter then in the dead of night - dragged and carried the dead dog to a city ravine- with about a quarter mile of wood lot- she buried Toby....and it was done- This was a wonderful dog...In my childhood all of our old dogs were buried along the fence line- We just don't believe in cremation- by hook or by crook the dog got a real burial....

Not many young urban woman have the courage to take care of such a matter on their own- My daughter reminded me of a traditional pioneer woman who did what had to be done....she has more guts than her father...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
[quote=animalcrazy;24536355]I had to put my last dog down at 3am by myself. It was absolutely the right thing to do for my baby. The end result would have been the same so why allow prolonged suffering when it's so quickly ended. We are unfortunately kinder to our animals then we are to humans in the same situation.[/QUO

You have to do what must be done- I just don't have the heart to do it myself..others do. As for human beings- their death is their private business...humans are another matter...when my father was dying- during the last day he requested to be taken to the hospital so he could get stronger doses of pain killers...He made the decision himself to be smothered with morphine- It was his decision- not one made by others out of convenience.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM

566 posts, read 1,106,929 times
I agonize over this alot, lately. My yorkie was dxd with SEVERE trachea collapse. ( It began when he was 5 - but I was told it was a "reverse sneeze.") It slowly progressed--real bad episode at the groomer. Taking a bit longer to recover, to calm enough to breath. I am not sure what this is? Reverse sneeze? I am going to do some googling, for sure. What I hear the OTHER yorkies doing on youtube is NOTHING like my yorkie. But his vet should know...or at least suggest a test? No.

Now? Honking and gasping while at the vet's for a check up she quickly scheduled him for xray to determine if it was a palate issue. The vet and I could barely hear each other over the noise this little yorkie was making trying to pull air into lungs that had NO airway. At the time, I was not aware his trachea had flattened near the lungs - but I wonder if the vet could have DONE SOMETHING to alleviate the suffering?
She did remark "he needs a doggie valium" and out the door she went. I was handed the bill - scheduled palate xray in two days since their machine was down and left for home.

The noise is unreal. There is a crackle, a honk and a loud rasp noise done so quickly while panting. Still, I was believing he was ok. The vet let him go home...

He was up all night long trying to breathe. I took him to the animal hospital and they sent us to the Small Animal Hospital at a University three hours away. I was in the car as soon as the bill was paid. He is still in MUCH distress. Honking, rasping, panting so quickly but extremely sedated.

I find the small animal hospital and they run to the door to come take him from me!!??!! I am now panicking. His tongue is hanging out, his head is down, eyes are glazed over. OMG. I think I am going to lose it for sure.

After two hours, I am put into a room where I am told he needs to stay overnight to calm down. He is on a drip, heavy sedation, but he will NOT CALM. They will do tests tomorrow, but they suspect collapsed trachea.

I leave shaken, shocked and somewhat in a dazed state - for that three hour drive home - alone.

I read and read about small breeds and stents that are far in the chest: NOT GOOD.

I chose NOT to stent with the information given to me by the surgeon at the Hospital. They sent us home with medicines and a diet and instructions.

It's been 8 months and things are getting a little troublesome. He seems to be having MORE episodes (woke up last night after midnight needing meds) but quickly calms -- which is GOOD.

I have thought and thought and discussed with vets and of course I want him in NO pain - NO suffering. What happened to him at the Hospital and the ER was beyond torture for him. Necessary, yes but I truly wonder if he would choose THAT again - PLUS expensive surgery that could result in the stent moving INTO the lungs and MORE suffering?

I can't. I am not certain when the right time is or how long do I let him honk/rasp/gasp, if the meds fail? For each breath truly is an ordeal during this time.

I am making appts with vets now, to discuss the issue of his disorder and what to do when it is time.

For me, I want to do everything and anything. Stent and all of it!
But for HIM? I don't think he wants the iv, the surgery, the poking, being caged far from home and just maybe not being able to get off the vent...

Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,165,804 times
A reverse sneeze is a collapsing trachea. I have never heard of a case that sounds as severe as your pets. I hope that you can find a good solution.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
I had my precious peek-a-poo 16 years. Her last year of life she suffered from Canine Cognitive Dysfunction along with some other issues.
I waited for her to pass at home. I just knew she would and preferred it happen that way. There were times at night,when I woke to check on her, that she would seem to be in a comatose state. I would hold her,crying and just knew she would take her last breath. But no-she always came around. I didn't know whether to feel relief or not. What a delimma.
She didn't really know us any longer. She urinated on herself. Her quality of life was BAD. I guess I was either too selfish or naive. I really thought,as did her vet, that she would simply pass-any day now--and that turned into a year! Finally I took control of my emotions and made the decision to have her put down. I think it was a year too late and I live with that every day.
I guess my point is--take their best interest into consideration first. My emotional attachment to her should not have kept her alive.
She still lives in my heart and would have anyway. Gosh I loved that fur baby.
I did much the same (different ailment) with a beloved Greyhound. I feel guilt that I waited so long.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
We had a Doberman 16 years old, lived a good life. He died with his head laying in my lap. We buried him in our Pet Cemetery behind our barn. Our Peek-A-Poo died at home too. He was 17 years old.

In October 2010 our Boxer had cancer. He was in pain and couldn't eat. He had the saddest eyes looking at us, appearing to ask 'help me.' We had him back and forth to the Vet and then had to give up and let the Vet put him down. He would have been 10 years old in November. It hurts to see your pet in pain like that.

Each pet we have lost has about killed us. Our whole family mourns. We have a new Boxer now, a total joy. But we never forget the pets that have passed away.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 39,018 times
I Have had my Pug Sadie for eight years now. she went to the vet with eye problems, allergies. Given an antibiotic and eye drops sent home. A week later she urinates on the floor right in front of me I scold her and took her out side not realizing shes in a fight of her life. It gets worse over the next week with vomiting diarrhea urinating all over the floor. I take her in to the vet I had a dog do this before with kidney failure. I want to have her put too sleep no suffering. Vet refuses wants do administer blood work x-ray antibiotics. Sadie refuses to eat, drinks lots of water only to urinate it out. A shot of antibiotics with a shot to keep her from vomiting. Now she can't walk she trembling as she lays on the floor refusing to eat. I cry as I lay beside her on the floor knowing she is suffering. Pet Smart is refusing to put her down they think they can heal her at who's expense. I am trying to help her make her comfortable, singing to her lots of food and water. My best friend is dying. She is always by my side now I'm by hers. Our animals our our family members too. I just hope god takes her soon so she doesn't need to suffer anymore. Prayers to all. god bless

Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Pug View Post
I Have had my Pug Sadie for eight years now. she went to the vet with eye problems, allergies. Given an antibiotic and eye drops sent home. A week later she urinates on the floor right in front of me I scold her and took her out side not realizing shes in a fight of her life. It gets worse over the next week with vomiting diarrhea urinating all over the floor. I take her in to the vet I had a dog do this before with kidney failure. I want to have her put too sleep no suffering. Vet refuses wants do administer blood work x-ray antibiotics. Sadie refuses to eat, drinks lots of water only to urinate it out. A shot of antibiotics with a shot to keep her from vomiting. Now she can't walk she trembling as she lays on the floor refusing to eat. I cry as I lay beside her on the floor knowing she is suffering. Pet Smart is refusing to put her down they think they can heal her at who's expense. I am trying to help her make her comfortable, singing to her lots of food and water. My best friend is dying. She is always by my side now I'm by hers. Our animals our our family members too. I just hope god takes her soon so she doesn't need to suffer anymore. Prayers to all. god bless
Find another vet ASAP

Old 06-28-2012, 11:36 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
This is the hardest decision we pet owners make. And each situation is different.

We'd hoped our aged dog would die peacefully in his sleep, but after necessary surgery to relieve a painful eye ulcer/infection, he recovered physically, but not mentally. He basically lost his mind--wandered constantly in circles, knocking over furniture and lamps, getting stuck in the strangest places, refusing water, losing his housebreaking habit--and he'd been immaculate, not wanting to be touched or petted--and much more. It was heart-breaking.

He was a shell of a dog, and not the dog we'd loved for 16 years...now blind, deaf, and so confused. It was a mercy for him--and for us, to relieve his suffering. Frankly, I'd want someone to do the same for me were I in his condition.

I know he's resting at peace.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 06-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
My only regrets regarding euthanasia is timing. A day late is far worse than a day too soon. The whole point is to avoid unnecessary suffering.

Waiting too long to make the decision, because it's too painful, is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs