Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

Right now, my 15 yr old rescue dog--kiowa is dying, she has suffered 3 strokes , but always recovered...right now ,,it;s entirely different,,,,,,she;s not eating or drinking,,but it;s highly aware,
of everything going on around her,,,,and still seeks me out, for kisses and petting,,,,,,,she;s resting on my bed,with pillows and a blanket,,,,a bowl of fresh water next to her,,as well as chicken broth,,,,
kiowa doesn;t seem to be in pain,,,but if the situation changes ,,,i wouldn't hesitate to take her to her vet,,and do what;s best for her,,,,,,,,im hoping that she will die at home,,,,i have taken ,time off from work ,to spend all my time next to her,,

,,,,i will be there for her,,,tru thick and thin,,,,,she;s my miracle 3 legged baby,,,,,,,,,any pointers ?/
i just needed to talk to like minded pet owners....thanks....machi babachi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
I didn't watch him die, but he did suffer as we were hoping his breathing would clear up as it had done in the past.....he passed at the vets office in an oxygen tent......I have vowed to never do that to any of my pups again.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,566 times
this morning,,my beloved companion --kiowa died ,,at 4.30am,,she died next to me,,and im glad that she died peacefully at home,,,,,,she knew that i was there,,,,and that;s a great comfort,
i will miss her everyday,,,,,,but me and her,had great times,,went everywhere,,,,with her 3 legs and her --mowhawk hairdo,,,,,,,she enriched my life abundantly,,,,and im grateful for it,,,,,
kiowa babachi---may 4,2000---------may 15,,2015,,,r,i,p...love. Dad

Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
So sorry for your loss. She knew you were there for her.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:00 AM

5,513 posts, read 7,106,662 times
When I am older and on death's bed I am going to look forward to dying so I can be reunited with all my dogs. I want them to be the first to greet me up there, all jumping on me and giving licks!

...that's heaven

Old 05-17-2015, 04:36 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I just ran across a retired woman and her dog on a hiking path. We got to talking and she said she grew up on the farm and they never put dogs down. They just let them die naturally, and often the dogs passed away in their sleep.

When my dog was dying, I often wondered if I should have spent the time with her holding her and being with her instead of rushing off in a panic to the vet to spend a few hundred having her put to sleep.

I've known many people whose pet died naturally at home and it was usually very peaceful. Humans pass away at home naturally.

What are your thoughts?
I would let them die naturally unless they were in pain or had some traumatic thing happen like a massive seizure that led to a stroke. It's not about me, it's about what's best for them.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:33 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
When I am older and on death's bed I am going to look forward to dying so I can be reunited with all my dogs. I want them to be the first to greet me up there, all jumping on me and giving licks!

...that's heaven
i believe that will happen .. when i was a child and all my pets got old one of my older brothers would shoot them .. his family wonders why i did`nt attend his funeral .

Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Most of my dogs grew old, and died naturally. My little terrier who was nearly 18 had a stroke, but was active and well before that. He died in my son arms on the way to the vet. One died when I wasn't home and I still miss saying goodbye. But the last one who passed was in great pain at the end. I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot. She sighed peacefully and passed. She wasn't alone, knew I was there, but she could have been in pain for some time.

I have all my dogs ashes and when I go I want mine to be scattered somewhere peaceful along with theirs.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I just ran across a retired woman and her dog on a hiking path. We got to talking and she said she grew up on the farm and they never put dogs down. They just let them die naturally, and often the dogs passed away in their sleep.

When my dog was dying, I often wondered if I should have spent the time with her holding her and being with her instead of rushing off in a panic to the vet to spend a few hundred having her put to sleep.

I've known many people whose pet died naturally at home and it was usually very peaceful. Humans pass away at home naturally.

What are your thoughts?

My Bull Terrier/Shar Pei mix had Degenerative Myelopathy. It progressively paralyzes the dog from the rear legs forward until it hits the diaphragm, after which the dog pretty much asphyxiates. Reno became incontinent, and her back legs were completely useless. My decision to have her euthanized was the absolute right call. I was there in the vet's office cradling her head in my arms when she passed.

The question is the quality of life. If the dog's life is one of pain, why prolong it?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Agree it's all about quality of life.

Last edited by Rowan123; 05-20-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs