Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 7,079 times

Advertisements

oh and the vet we did contact was on vacation.........live in a very small town. The other vet in town wants your left arm to do anything, everythings about money makes me sick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 2,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is a wonderful lesson in cultural differences for les Américains.

Amazing as it may seem, the rest of the world does not go for euthanasia with as much gusto as many in the US.

I've thought a lot about this (and mind you I am of good old farming and ranching stock) - I believe the ease with which we pursue it derives from the "take the old mare out back and shoot her" culture that is only a few generations back.
noticed this, too. There is a zeal, almost fanatical, the way some people on various websites promote euthanasia, and the phrase I see the most is "one day too early is better than one day too late." In essence they are advocating euthanizing a dog or cat before it gets very sick but is headed that direction. If you look at it from the dog's or cat's perspective they want to live as long as possible. Think about it. Animals do not commit suicide as far as I can tell. For them, this is it. They live in the moment. They do not have the myths we use to make ourselves feel better about dying because we think there might be something beyond this life. I cringe when I read one of them write about their euthanized pet waiting for them at the mythical rainbow bridge. Or that they will be waiting for them in the afterlife.

The end is tough for all of us, unless you die suddenly in your sleep, like my uncle did. But for most people the last few months are quite terrible, but then it's over forever.

I have tried it both ways with various animals-- natural death vs. euthanasia. I felt guilty after each euthanasia death, but not after natural deaths. With natural death I let them live as long as they can live and be there for them emotionally as they pass away.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
That would depend on my dog's quality of life. I will never let my dog suffer because I can't bear to do the right thing. I have a friend with a very old dog. He can't really see much anymore, can't hear, pees in the house all the time, and has a big fatty tumor. He is 16. That said, he is the happiest little dog you'll ever meet. His tail never stops wagging and he doesn't seem uncomfortable. In a case like this, I'd let the dog live until this wasn't the case. If the dog was clearly "just existing", I would end its suffering.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguiretjej View Post
To the really insensitive person that said get your act together, I have had open heart surgery, have no rings no new clothes havent had my hair cut in 10 years and still have teenagers. Vets arent very willing to work with you, we had a friend put her out of her misery, yes she had to be shot.......jerk!!!!!
That was probably less stressful for her than going to the vet to be euthanized and just as humane. The important thing is you ended her suffering. That is an act of love.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Personally, I would never let an animal suffer needlessly if there was an alternative, and I can't imagine why anyone would.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
If I had to choose between letting an animal suffer for even a day for something that wasn't going to improve, vs euthanasia, I will always opt for the latter. Most animals don't die peacefully in their sleep. Congestive heart failure often results in them suffocating from fluid in their lungs. There is no reason in this day and age to allow a pet a painful end.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:27 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
If I had to choose between letting an animal suffer for even a day for something that wasn't going to improve, vs euthanasia, I will always opt for the latter. Most animals don't die peacefully in their sleep. Congestive heart failure often results in them suffocating from fluid in their lungs. There is no reason in this day and age to allow a pet a painful end.

Agree. There is no need to let a dog suffer. It's not about what you the owner want, it's about what's best for the dog.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
My Reno had degenerative myelopathy. It's a progressive disease that slowly paralyzes the dog from the back legs forward until they literally suffocate. Allowing her to die naturally was not an option.

I will never regret having her put down. I held her until she breathed her last.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:15 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Making the decision to put a beloved pet to sleep is one of the most agonizing choices. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My best friend was a veterinarian until she decided to go into another scientific field. She says there is a movement toward "natural" death, where you just keep the animal comfortable until it dies, and it kind of horrifies me. I remember how my Catahoula was suffering with the cancer in his spine and I kept him alive long enough to confirm it was almost certainly cancer. Even when he was not in pain and was well drugged, he was absolutely miserable, because he was an incredibly active and athletic dog of just five. His inability to run and leap was something he couldn't understand. Older dogs tend to slide into inactivity gradually so they can adapt - he had it thrust upon him quite suddenly by comparison and he was just frustrated and confused by the way his body was failing him. I remember how the euthanasia vet commented when she came to the house that that first shot of valium transformed his body entirely. "He was so tense and upset" were her words. There was no way I would have insisted on him suffering until he died a "natural" death.

My friend says that the argument fans of this idea make is that you don't do it with people, so why would you end a pet's life early. I fully support human euthanasia, but the truth is there's no comparison. Human's generally understand what's happening to them - a dog goes through all the suffering and has no comprehension of why it's happening.

Earlier in the day before I put him down, he fell down and couldn't get back up, and his hopeless wails as he writhed on the ground just destroyed me. He was so confused and scared by what was happening to him, beyond the pain. I was actually relieved when the doc called with the results - at least I knew I had to bring his suffering to an end rather than making him suffer more while I tried to save him. SHe asked if I wanted to do palliative care, and I told her there was no point if it wouldn't bring back his mobility. I called the euthanasia vet as soon as I hung up from talking to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs