Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,207 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading ll the posts here and I just can't stop crying. I'm faced with that last hard final decision because my dog is going downhill at a fast pace and I know the time has come. So what's stopping me? The fact that I have to bring her to the vet's office to have it done in unfamiliar surroundings. Our Vet always used to make "final house calls" until our animal control officer made it clear that this was no lomger acceptable. Both the vet and myself are unhappy with this order, we find it's cruelty to animals from someone who should be caring and compassionate. Meanwhile I can't handle taking my dog into the office for our final time together. I know she won't die in her sleep but until I can find a solution I have to keep her with me. No other vet in the area is allowed to make house calls either so I can't go to another vet. If someone has any ideas I would be so grateful, I keep coming up against a brick wall. I would have no problem getting human narcotics but I wouldn't know how to administer them to make the death fast and painless. It isn't my idea of a good choice but seeing her close her eyes looking at a strange room isn't my idea of good either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
I tried to get the drugs to do it myself at home on a Sunday rather than have it done at the Emergency Vet Hospital which was a totally strange place to her. They wouldn't give me the drugs. So I waited until the next day (I handled her discomfort overnight my own way). When I saw what was actually involved, I would not have been able to do it (I won't go into detail here). The vet's office made things EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE for us. They had us come at noon when they were closing for lunch when it was quiet and without other clients, had a room ready with lights out and candles lit, a mat with soft blanket on the floor....oh god, you get the picture.

She hated the vet's office and it is the only time she didn't resist or fight or show nervousness there. She was ready, she trusted me. It was painless and she was comfortable.

My father had the vet come to his house to euthanize the cat, but they lived in a tiny town with a local vet.

Bless your heart...I am so so sorry

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks didee-- I wish our vet had this kind of set up but there just isn't extra room at the clinic. Things are pretty crowded with only two exam rooms, crowded because this vet is sought after by all who know what kind of service we get. Clients from around and as far away as 60 miles or more. I'm going to have a discussion about fixing up something like this, I know they would go all out, the techs, vet, they always do. I could do it at home, worked in the medical field, but I just don't know if I could put the needle in without shaking. I was thinking if the weather turned warmer we could have it done in the van itself where our dog loved to b at all times when we went on trips or short jaunts. This part of dog ownership hurts like mad.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

Would your vet be willing to have you come in when they're closed. I know it would mean you still have to take her in, but maybe a calmer setting would be helpful?

Edited to add: I'm not sure I understand how an animal control officer had any say in the matter of house calls.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I tried to get the drugs to do it myself at home on a Sunday rather than have it done at the Emergency Vet Hospital which was a totally strange place to her. They wouldn't give me the drugs. So I waited until the next day (I handled her discomfort overnight my own way). When I saw what was actually involved, I would not have been able to do it (I won't go into detail here). The vet's office made things EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE for us. They had us come at noon when they were closing for lunch when it was quiet and without other clients, had a room ready with lights out and candles lit, a mat with soft blanket on the floor....oh god, you get the picture.

She hated the vet's office and it is the only time she didn't resist or fight or show nervousness there. She was ready, she trusted me. It was painless and she was comfortable.
Reading your post, I started crying, got control of myself to continue reading, and started crying again. I first cried when you said that you tried to get the drugs to do it yourself -- I can just imagine how upsetting her pain must have been to you.

And then when you described the vet room, with the candles and a soft blanket, I lost it again. And more when you said that your girl didn't resist or fight or act nervous. She was ready, she trusted you... Oh the sobbing.

You were so good to your girl; that shines through loud and clear.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

Would your vet be willing to have you come in when they're closed. I know it would mean you still have to take her in, but maybe a calmer setting would be helpful?

Edited to add: I'm not sure I understand how an animal control officer had any say in the matter of house calls.

I think I'll have a talk with my vet about options but thank you for thinking of me.
You are not alone wondering why the animal control got the okay from the city to stop the vet from making housecalls but believe me the person is intensely disliked for the way he treats stay animals that he picks up. In short, he does it for the money and doesn't even like animals, we all know it including the vets around here but the city and him are pretty cozy.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:08 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
Default Never let them suffer...

Having them put down hurts more than anything I/we have ever done. It kills part of me every time we have to have one put down.
We can't let them suffer.
I always lay on the floor with the pet that has to be put down. I hold back my crying as much as possible. I talk softly in their ear and tell them what a good boy/girl they are. That I love them so much. I give them millions of kisses.
I just want my voice to be the last words they hear.

I'm not going to heaven or hell...I'm going to rainbow bridge...cause I WILL see ALL my beloved dogs again. Knowing this I'm not afraid to die anymore.

We just had to have our big boy almost 11 years old, put down. It happened so fast, he never acted like anything was wrong. He had coughed a few times, but not much at all. One of those hair ball type coughs. He woke me up midnight & he was coughing & breathing bad.
Were sure it was cancer...IT'S ALWAYS cancer.

He's been gone almost 3 weeks...and I miss him so much. He was more than special...he was our baby.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post

My father had the vet come to his house to euthanize the cat, but they lived in a tiny town with a local vet.

Bless your heart...I am so so sorry
I grew up rurally with small-town vets who would make farm calls anytime. When the time came for our 15-year old malamute, our vet made a house call so Ginger could die lying in our pine trees.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
A good vet will make your baby's final minutes as peaceful and comfortable as possible. Mine shut down the office for the rest of the afternoon, had every staff member in there with me as they have all known me and my monsters for years and wanted to help comfort me, and made the process as easy as something so horrible could be and did not charge me a single dime. I will forever be in her debt for all that they did and knowing I will be going through this hell again in the future I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.

I too considered other ways to end my ChiChi's pain because I knew how much she hated riding in the car and going to the vet. I chickened out in the end thinking I would cause her worse pain possibly. Luckily, when the time came she was so out of it and had been for a week that she didn't know the car from my bed and had no stress at all. Still, that last gasp of breath she gave after the shot had been given was the worst sound I ever heard in my life. But I am glad that the last thing she saw were my eyes and the last thing she heard was my voice telling her how much I loved her and to wait for me on the other side. I held her through the whole process then brought her home and buried her in the front yard under a statue of St. Francis. Some people think that is morbid but I could care less. My dogs got to sniff her body and say their own goodbyes and I get to say good morning to her every morning.

Gah! It's been almost 3 years now and after typing this I am in full on sob mode. I miss her so so so much. And now with my oldest dog heading in that direction, I wonder how I can go through it again. But I will because that is the price you pay I suppose. Still, I keep hoping that with all the advancements in medicine, why can't we come up with something to extend the life of our fur kids?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I think I'll have a talk with my vet about options but thank you for thinking of me.
You are not alone wondering why the animal control got the okay from the city to stop the vet from making housecalls but believe me the person is intensely disliked for the way he treats stay animals that he picks up. In short, he does it for the money and doesn't even like animals, we all know it including the vets around here but the city and him are pretty cozy.
Sorry if this is going off-topic a bit...but where in the U.S.A. is an animal control officer allowed to make laws???

In most cities and municipalities laws and ordinances are passed by the city council, after a period of public review and input. If this policy never went before the public, it may not even be legal.

I know you are in a state of grief, and may not be up to it, but seriously, this guy needs to be challenged.

Are vets still allowed to make house calls at all? Perhaps yours could come out for a "check-up" and ......whoops. You'll need to find a vet who is fed up with the dog-catcher and who has a best friend who is an attorney.

My other idea: find a vet who makes housecalls, but is out of the county or in the next city over. Someone who isn't under the jurisdiction of your local animal control.

Anyway.....sorry to hear you are having to go through this on top of losing your pet. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs