Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,389,846 times

Advertisements

My family and I were blessed to have a mixed blond lab for 12 years; we called her BEAUTY. My youngest son, who is now 13 grew up with her. She was the only dog he knew. She was a very gentle dog who would let my kids when they were smaller pull her tail, sit on her, just totally mess with her, and she wouldn't even bat an eye. She was never spaded, and she was never sick or ill with us.

On Sunday, April 19 2009, at approximately 1:30 pm, she died. She wasn't in any pain, but before she died she would not get up from her favorite spot in our backyard. And that was when we knew something was wrong. When I called her, she just laid there, and would not get up. I tried to give her water, and she would not drink it.

We called a 24 hour vet in our area to ask the vet what we should do because she was also in heat, and we were thinking that she was having complications with being 12 and in heat. Before my wife got off the phone with the vet, our precious BEAUTY started to get worse. Her breathing became more shallow, and unfortunately my wife was right with her when she died.

I have never experienced the loss of a pet, and this experience for my whole family has been devistating. My question to all of you out there is, should we get another dog of the same breed as Beauty or get one of a different breed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Since I have ado0pted after my first 3 dogs, who overlapped each other, I can only tell you that I find a dog that needs a home and don't worry about the breed. Go to a rescue or shelter and see who you think is "the one." I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:39 PM

899 posts, read 2,930,008 times
Yes its fine.Our first cocker a blonde one named blondie, died suddenly and a year later we found a a red-white party male ..We could never replace Blondie for all the joy she brought to us but instead Max has brought another kind of sweet love and laughter to our house...
One thing about going with the same breed is you know how they work, their basic health issues ect how they think and more..We have since added another cocker to the mix for the same reason.
Tears and hugs to you on your loss
There is another sweet dog waiting for you...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,330,679 times
Do whatever feels right for your family. Just be careful to not expect that just because a new dog might look like your old friend, he/she IS different don't expect a "replacement" but rather a new friend.....When our Golden Retriever had to be PTS, we waited awhile before getting a new one for that reason (among a few others). We did get another GR - although Macie is more of a blondie and has a very standard GR build etc; Chloe was more lanky and red - kind of looked Irish-Setter-y.....We love(d) them both.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,386,117 times
I think it is fine if that is what you want. But the new dog is never the same as the old dog and it takes time for the bond to grow again. A friend told me that a new dog "gives you something to do." It fills the void. Over the years, the love grows.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,838,887 times
Let yourself and your family grieve first and formost when the time is right for a new dog in your life I beleive the right dog will present itself some how, just be open to it. If the time is now then keep your eyes, heart, and mind open to a new dog - not matter the breed.

I have always had at least one GSD in my life, one big thing is to know that you will never get the same dog, unfortunately Beauty is gone from your life, as long as you know the next dog will be a new experience and a new love, you will be ok.

When we lost our Greyhound, we keep thinking about getting another greyhound... we still miss Tigger so much it just wouldn't be the same. then one day ( Christmas Day ) Chrissy a little Terrier mix came into our lives. A perfect fit, even if it is was small fit. I am not much for little dogs, Chrissy is the smallest dog I have ever owned.

I am sorry about Beauty, she must have had a great life with your family with all that love and attention. I like to think she will send one of her friends to you in time, she will say "I know this REALLY great family!" and before you know it its dog food, vet bills, sloppy kisses all over again!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,507,724 times
I have had 5 GSDs in my life and each one of this has been different.
I think that is the important thing - to realize each dog is an individual.

But I agree, give yourself some time to grieve first.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,618,316 times
God bless you, make sure there are photos of your dog around, it might help your son talk about it. Thankfully your dog was in its home at the end. Take comfort in that.
I absolutely think you should get another dog as soon as you are ready. Dogs add so much to us. I have never had a lab but I am sure there is a good reason they are so popular.
I was with my dog at the end, I am sure his spirit passed through me. I know we will see them again.
Good luck. Don't feel any embarrassment for you feelings of loss.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
I see no reason why you shouldn't get one of the same breed. Just as long as everyone realizes it is not, can not and will not, be the same as the dog that passed. People tend to compare animals...and that would be unfair to the new dog. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,654,104 times
I lost my wonderful mini schnauzer last year. He gave me fourteen terrific years. I wanted to get another mini schnauzer but was afraid I might be trying to replace the dog I lost. Mini schnauzers come in several colors and my faithful dog was a salt and pepper, so I ended up with a black and silver. After a few months I believe I made the correct decision. Both dogs share/shared schnauzer traits but both had and have their own personalities.
I think it is fine to get the same breed as long as you realize you cannot replace your old dog. Selecting a different color or pattern may help.
Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs