Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:21 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,262,480 times

Advertisements

Go to this link. Story is on the front page. Just another reason to stop feeding poor quality kibble or stop kibble all together.

The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:24 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,415,885 times
Yup. I'm done with kibble.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,639,566 times
Maybe this is why my dogs occasionally throw up that yellow bial. My big one got real sick last week. Now what? I am at a loss of what to feed them since I have 6 to feed.
My deaf one throws up that yellow bial quite often and refuses to eat her Nutro. The other ones seem to do the same but not as often as my deaf one. I am making her chicken and rice with fresh steamed carrots and string beans as we speak, since she threw up that yellow bial at 4pm and would not eat her food. They have all been on the Nutro chicken and rice for sensative stomachs for 3 years now. I would love to switch them, but to what?

Last edited by Blondie621; 04-21-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:54 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,388,150 times
I fed Nutro for quite a while and never had a problem. Eliminating kibble just isn't an option for us with the rescue. Trying to feed a raw food diet for 18 to 20 dogs would break us. And with the low adoption fees we have, I'd have to re-fi the house within a week. I wish I could afford better for them, but all I can do is doggie dollar menu and recommend a much better diet to their new owner when they find homes. It kills me.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM

82 posts, read 439,209 times
My Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel threw up the infamous yellow bile while eating Nutro lamb and rice before the dog food recall. It got so bad I took a bath towel to bed with us because the gagging and throwing up would begin in the wee hours of the morning. It all stopped the day I quit feeding Nutro.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM

One of the better, low cost foods out there is Kirkland, sold at Costco. Many rescues use that, since feeding some of the other brands would cost a fortune! If you have a Costco near you, it's worth checking out.

I agree with raw being expensive. We only have one dog and it's costing us a fortune each week!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,415,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
One of the better, low cost foods out there is Kirkland, sold at Costco. Many rescues use that, since feeding some of the other brands would cost a fortune! If you have a Costco near you, it's worth checking out.

I agree with raw being expensive. We only have one dog and it's costing us a fortune each week!
MAK802,

Maybe at some point you will consider making your own? I can buy raw chicken for less than the price of canned food. A couple chicken thighs a day costs about $1.25 plus some sweet potato and maybe a green veggie.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,639,566 times
I ran out of Nutro today and the store only had the small bag. I will finish it and then will switch to Authority Harvest Baked from Petsmart. Any opinions on this food? It did score 116, one of the highest on an old thread I pulled up.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
MAK802,

Maybe at some point you will consider making your own? I can buy raw chicken for less than the price of canned food. A couple chicken thighs a day costs about $1.25 plus some sweet potato and maybe a green veggie.
If I could get detailed instructions on making my own raw, I would do it! The websites are so confusing and I want to makes sure he gets all the nutrients he needs! The raw we feed him is a complete food, to which nothing needs to be added, but we give him fish oils/joint supplements anyway in addition.

We calculated the cost to be approximately $200/month on his food/supplements a month on raw, which is a bit insane! We thought his kibble was expensive, at almost $50 for a 26 lb. bag!

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
I ran out of Nutro today and the store only had the small bag. I will finish it and then will switch to Authority Harvest Baked from Petsmart. Any opinions on this food? It did score 116, one of the highest on an old thread I pulled up.
This food rates a 3 star on dogfoodanalysis.com. Not the greatest. You should aim for a 4 star or higher.

I believe PetSmart sells Blue Buffalo, which is a 4 star food. Have you tried that? Petco sells some better things lately. They carry the entire Wellness line, and some other products without the byproducts, but I can't remember which companies they are. And I always say this, but Taste of the Wild is inexpensive, grainless and rates 5 and 6 stars, depending on flavor. And, you feed a lot less because there are no fillers so if you have a retailer of TOTW, I'd highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs