U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:03 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times

Advertisements

Many humans in fact use tail and Mane shampoo on theuir hair. my wife uses baby shampoo for years on our dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 AM

947 posts, read 2,914,254 times
Just as Dawn has toxic ingredients so does a lot of our- human shampoo.

Anyway, Dawn does take care of fleas pretty well but I would use it very rarely.

And, I would use specific dog shampoo, natural oatmeal, their skin is different on their body than the skin we have on our head.

That was a great link MAK!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,550,890 times
My GS is 13 years old and has had three baths in his life......two after smelly contact with other animals...a skunk and rolling on a dead something...the 3rd before we were going to be confined in the car with him for a 3 day trip and he hadn't yet gone on the raw meat diet.
Sprinkling with baking soda and a good brushing after sufficed for occassional use but changing to raw diet has made even that unneccesary.
Can those of you that bathe frequently tell us why you do so?
Is it 'just because' or are there particular reasons?
Not criticising....just wondering.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,815,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My GS is 13 years old and has had three baths in his life......two after smelly contact with other animals...a skunk and rolling on a dead something...the 3rd before we were going to be confined in the car with him for a 3 day trip and he hadn't yet gone on the raw meat diet.
Sprinkling with baking soda and a good brushing after sufficed for occassional use but changing to raw diet has made even that unneccesary.
Can those of you that bathe frequently tell us why you do so?
Is it 'just because' or are there particular reasons?
Not criticising....just wondering.
I give baths because he gets grimy and dirty. Brushing helps to an extent...but he can still feel dirty and grimy. He is in my house, on my rugs...and I try to keep those as clean as possible. How in the world does a raw diet keep them clean? I understand the benefits of feeding raw...but cleanliness is not one of them. Dirt is dirt.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM

315 posts, read 950,936 times
i've always used human shampoo on them and conditioner. i found that if you make sure to really rinse out the soap, they don't itch. now i get them groomed because i don't have a place to wash them but i never think they smell as good as when i use human conditioner. they only get washed a few times a year.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:48 AM

3,196 posts, read 4,717,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
i've always used human shampoo on them and conditioner. i found that if you make sure to really rinse out the soap, they don't itch. now i get them groomed because i don't have a place to wash them but i never think they smell as good as when i use human conditioner. they only get washed a few times a year.
What kind of dogs? Long hair, short?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,802 times
I know this is an old post, but if you look online you can find data from people that have tested the pH of shampoos and they in fact are usually only slightly acidic which would suit most dogs. There may be other reasons to not use human shampoo, but pH alone isn't it.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:22 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,350,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Does anyone know if it's okay to use human shampoo on dogs? I just can't get over having to pay 12 bucks a bottle if it's pretty much the same ingredients. Ideas?
J&J "No More Tears" is a great dog shampoo.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM

18,100 posts, read 16,638,539 times
I use Dawn ultra about 6 times a year. They hate baths and I hate giving them one, its such a hassle. But they do get one on average every 2 months. It cleans them up real nice and they smell good too.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM

119 posts, read 377,962 times
I give my dogs a bath about every two months. They are outside a lot and the Lab loves to get into the pond so they start smelling pretty doggie by then. I usually use Head and Shoulders on them but like now even though they are on a monthly dose of frontline plus they have still had fleas so I gave them a bath with Dawn yesterday and it doesnt seem to bother them but they dont have any skin issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or