U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,443,604 times
Default Is human shampoo okay for dogs?

Does anyone know if it's okay to use human shampoo on dogs? I just can't get over having to pay 12 bucks a bottle if it's pretty much the same ingredients. Ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,739,983 times
I have always been told by vets that if you have a dog that's "normal" - i.e. no skin issues &/or it's not for fleas or medicated in any way - any mild shampoo is fine. You want to remove dirt without removing the natural oils from the coat and skin, so a good quality baby shampoo was what has been recommended to me in the past.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM

452 posts, read 1,043,485 times
Our vet also recmds baby shampoo because it won't burn the eyes. I use both; her shampoo for her body and baby for the head, etc. I follow the body with a conditioner that I use myself. She never smells as good when we bathe her tho as when she comes back from the groomer

The vet also said we could use Dawn dishwashing liquid for one rescue pup we had that had fleas. Worked like a charm!! Careful around the ears and eyes tho!!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 AM

9,735 posts, read 23,668,058 times
It's fine...I use it every once in awhile..even conditioner for their coats. The only problem is, it is not very strong, there fore the dog seems to get grimy faster. If you think about it, most people wash their hair every day or every other day..Shampoos and conditioners are not that strong.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 4,443,604 times
Thanks for all the replies!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
Actually, it's not that great. Human skin and dog skin have differences in pH and pet shampoo does take that into account, being gentler on the skin. Also, they do make no-tears pet shampoo!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 AM

5,503 posts, read 13,721,151 times
I've always used it and never had a problem. I would rather use some leftover people shampoo then spend money on the overpriced dog shampoo.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM

8,122 posts, read 16,517,981 times
My old vets Rule of thumb was soap was soap great for a once or twice a year bath BUT more than that get a dog shampoo. So it really depends on how often you bathe the pooch.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:54 PM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Actually, it's not that great. Human skin and dog skin have differences in pH and pet shampoo does take that into account, being gentler on the skin. Also, they do make no-tears pet shampoo!
Exactly. Check out this site. As mild as baby shampoo might be, it's still formulated for human ph levels.

"The first rule of dog bathing is not to use a human shampoo. The pH of dog skin is very different to that of human skin. While our skin has a pH of around 5.5 to 5.6, your dog's skin is much more neutral, averaging a pH of between 6.2 and 7.4.1 Shampoos formulated for humans are much more acidic than those for dogs, and using a human shampoo can upset the balance of a dog's skin."

Dog wash: how to clean your canine | Pet Shed Community

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,721,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Exactly. Check out this site. As mild as baby shampoo might be, it's still formulated for human ph levels.

"The first rule of dog bathing is not to use a human shampoo. The pH of dog skin is very different to that of human skin. While our skin has a pH of around 5.5 to 5.6, your dog's skin is much more neutral, averaging a pH of between 6.2 and 7.4.1 Shampoos formulated for humans are much more acidic than those for dogs, and using a human shampoo can upset the balance of a dog's skin."

Dog wash: how to clean your canine | Pet Shed Community
Yes, but what difference does if human shampoo is more acidic? I really don't think human shampoo will upset a dog's "ph balance." (Conversely, I've used dog shampoo to wash my own hair, and it didn't hurt me any either.) Most dogs don't get baths everyday anyway. And by the way, I put pure vinegar on my scalp all the time -- what's more acidic than that? -- and it doesn't upset my ph balance. Nothing is going to convince me to pay $12 for pet shampoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs