U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2009, 11:28 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,441,771 times
Default When do I switch from puppy chow to dog chow?

Right now our lab is 6 months old and we are still buying him puppy chow. When is a good age to switch him to dog food??
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:34 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,301,324 times
First, please look at the ingredients. Just about all of the major brands have corn or sorghum (a corn product) as a main ingredient. That's just filler: it doesn't add to your dog's nutrition and it often results in HUGE stool volume and gas, and has been associated with the development of allergies.

Take a look at the food threads here. There are many, MANY better foods to feed than stuff like Purina or Science Diet. They're a bit more expensive, but you feed less, because there's more real nutrition in each given measure (by volume) and your dog will have less voluminous and frequent stools.

At six months you can certainly switch your dog over to two meals each day, rather than three. I don't know about larger breeds with respect to changing to adult food, but he can start getting just the two meals/day.

And do look into getting a high-quality food. It DOES matter!

Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 PM

2,399 posts, read 2,900,393 times
Talking Everyone has their opinion...you'll find out.

First I would ask your vet. He knows your dog best.

Everyone on this dog thread will tell you their opinion. You need to do what YOU think is best.

We've had our Rotts on Purina Dog Chow for years.............
They were on Pro-Pac before that for years...
Before that on Diamond... they ate that, way before all the China problems happened.
The latest food we were told about to feed our dogs was the food at Costco...sorry can't remember it's name...other than it is processed at a Diamond facility. So forget that..........

I have had a lot of nice people help me with trying to decide what to feed our dogs on this thread.

Hubby says Purina Dog Chow (Green bag) is fine for our dogs.
Our dogs are happy. They have very shiney coats. They only poop a couple times a day, maybe three at most.
Nice firm poops, by the way.
None of our dogs have had allergies...ever
The almost 10 year old might give us a gas treatment once in awhile, but gas isn't a problem with our Rotts.
They are very happy, well behaved pups.
I feed them twice a day.
I don't do dog cookies. (Biscuits)
I give them carrots instead. They love them. The little nubby ones.

I say do your research first to find out what is best for your 6 month old.
If you can afford the higher price stuff & your dog likes it...so be it.

All I can tell you is Purina has been around FOREVER.

Good Luck...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:49 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,718,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Right now our lab is 6 months old and we are still buying him puppy chow. When is a good age to switch him to dog food??
Never! Purina is a horrible food with terrible ingredients! Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and aim for a food with a 4 star rating or higher. Not sure what breed of dog you have, but you may be able to go grainless, which is the best diet for a dog, aside from raw. No corn, wheat, oats, etc.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,718,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post

All I can tell you is Purina has been around FOREVER.

McDonald's has been around since the 1940s, yet I wouldn't feed that to my children on a daily basis. Feeding dogs Purina is the equivalent of feeding your kids McDonald's every single day. Not the best decision.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:02 PM

177 posts, read 368,842 times
Two things:

(1) The general rule of thumb is to switch to adult dog food around 12 months. However, it depends on the breed, so I'd check with your breeder or maybe on a labrador forum for a good rule of thumb.

(2) Are ya'll sure she's actually talking about feeding Purina? My grandpa used to say "dog chow" to refer to ANY kind of dog food, regardless of brand. So she might not necessarily be giving an inferior food... just something to consider.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,460 times
Amazing. The lady lady asked a simple question for a simple answer and got everything but. Everyone switches from puppy food to adult food as some point. When, approximately, give or take a few months?

Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,707,970 times
op, i NEVER use puppy food...assuming the food your feeding is of god quality its just a marketing gimmick...the stuff in the puppy bag i exactly the same formular as the stuff in the adult bag (though sometimes a smaller kibble size) usually with a little addedfat for extra callories...
in GOOD foods, its completly unnessicary, so i just dont bother, it costs more for a start. i start ALL my babies on a good quality all life stages food...
something with no corn, wheet or soy and meat as the first ingredient...

think about it this way...wild dogs (be it wolves, coyotes, fox or just feral domesticated dogs)...dont feed their young anything different from what they are eating, so assuming the quality is good...its just unnessicary. that being said 6-12 months is generally a good time to switch for those that do use a puppy food, id figure whatever youve got in the bag, finnish it up untill youve got about 5 days worth left then start mixing in the adult food, 1/2 and 1/2 for the first 2 days, then 3/4new and 1/4 old for a few days and keep reducing untill the bag of puppy is gone. no point in wisting good food...

however if the food your feeding has CORN anywhere in the ingredients, or soy or "chicken byproduct or chicken byproduct meal (or any meat byproduct or byproduct meal...jsut toss the bag and start him on a good quality all life stages food.)

Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM

36 posts, read 59,620 times
Roxy is 7 months old and eats Blue Buffalo Puppy Food. When she is 1 She is going to gradually switch to Dog food. It is high in protein, no fillers. first ingredient..meat. Everyone does what they want when raising their pup but i've always fed my dogs puppy food for their first year, as advised by the vet, other dog owners, and the food itself.

So my advice would be stick with the puppy food while they are still a puppy =)

Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 PM

8,015 posts, read 15,584,648 times
When I was Breeding dogs I told my puppy people to switch from Puppy Food to Adult Food Between 18 months to 2 yrs old. 1st while dogs Look grownup at 6 months they are still Babies! Most vets dont consider dogs Full Adults til they are 2 yrs old when bones have matured for OFA testing, etc. So at 18 months I tell people to start feeding 1/2 puppy food & 1/2 Adult food then stop puppy food at 2 yrs that way dog is still getting all the Vitimans & mineral a growing dog needs! I Never had any problems come back on the Health of my dogs when peole do this. I have had complaints abet minor ones when the dog was switched too young! My gf rotties broke his leg at 6 months His Vet had her keep him on puppy food til he was 3 yrs old! My breeder gf of Dobies changed to adult food at 18 months! So you also need to consider othr factors AND Dog food has changed [for the worse in my opinon] in the past 20 yrs You now have Small Breed Puppy food & Large breed puppy foods LOL I will 2nd the Talk to your vet but add also talk to your dogs breeder! Another thing is does your dog lay around or is he Active? Mine were Active Farm dogs LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs