Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:34 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,867,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
How much did you pay for your English Bulldog? I know there are a million variables that effect price, but I am looking at general ball park estimates.
You're looking at a minimum of $1,500 - $2,000. Some reputable breeders may require you to take them to puppy shows to see how they develop. They will also require you to register them with a unique name along with the breeders name as well.

As someone who has had English Bulldogs (and other Molossers) for many years, my advice is to be sure you check the puppys breathing and check their back legs as they walk away from you. Make sure there is no "V" shape with their back legs. An upside down "V" is preferable. Also make sure you see BOTH parents as well and check for any rhinoplasty or other surgeries around the eyes and eyelids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:49 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,964,483 times
They ARE awesome dogs and best pals. I miss mine terribly. (She died about 18 months ago -- dropped dead of what we assume was a sudden heart attack. There was no warning and it wasn't even hot outside. Talk about heart-breaking!)

I desperately want to get another one and I desperately don't, if that makes any sense. I miss her more than words can say, even though I have other dogs. Bulldogs are ideal pals and want nothing more out of life than to be devoted to you. They are incredible clowns and have such funny personalities.

However, I desperately don't want to get another one because of the potential for heartache. I don't know if I can take it! I almost lost her during what should have been a simple spay surgery. She had complications and was in doggy ICU for a week! I was a basket case. And when she died, I was inconsolable.

These are expensive dogs to buy, keep, and maintain -- and neither of mine had ANY skin infections, tail infections, or anything else bulldogs typically get. I gave them the best of care and, in the end, it wasn't enough. I'm not trying to discourage you but it breaks my heart to see ads in the newspaper and the stories from bulldog rescue telling how people no longer have the money or ability to care for their bulldogs. It's a big commitment.

If you are up to it and financially able, you'll never have a better dog. But if you have ANY concerns or misgivings, don't do it. It's not fair to the bulldog or your family.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,666,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
They ARE awesome dogs and best pals. I miss mine terribly. (She died about 18 months ago -- dropped dead of what we assume was a sudden heart attack. There was no warning and it wasn't even hot outside. Talk about heart-breaking!)

I desperately want to get another one and I desperately don't, if that makes any sense. I miss her more than words can say, even though I have other dogs. Bulldogs are ideal pals and want nothing more out of life than to be devoted to you. They are incredible clowns and have such funny personalities.

However, I desperately don't want to get another one because of the potential for heartache. I don't know if I can take it! I almost lost her during what should have been a simple spay surgery. She had complications and was in doggy ICU for a week! I was a basket case. And when she died, I was inconsolable.

These are expensive dogs to buy, keep, and maintain -- and neither of mine had ANY skin infections, tail infections, or anything else bulldogs typically get. I gave them the best of care and, in the end, it wasn't enough. I'm not trying to discourage you but it breaks my heart to see ads in the newspaper and the stories from bulldog rescue telling how people no longer have the money or ability to care for their bulldogs. It's a big commitment.

If you are up to it and financially able, you'll never have a better dog. But if you have ANY concerns or misgivings, don't do it. It's not fair to the bulldog or your family.
Well said. Sorry about your dog though You know I bet you should look around for another one. We lost a puppy Doberman and our first thought was don't get another one but we got another one and it was amazing how much that little Doberman pup healed the hurt

Old 04-25-2009, 01:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,964,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Well said. Sorry about your dog though You know I bet you should look around for another one. We lost a puppy Doberman and our first thought was don't get another one but we got another one and it was amazing how much that little Doberman pup healed the hurt
I was really depressed after Lily died and it just wasn't going away. She was my only girl! After a time, I went to the pound and adopted a female Weimaraner. I love her so much! She can't replace Lily but she did help me heal.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,374,284 times
Please keep in mind that bulldogs right now are the dog to have, so every Tom, Dick and Harry went out and bought him a couple and tossed them in the backyard together to make himself a buck. They don't bother with silly little things like health testing or temerament issues. All they care about is making a buck. And because of that, the breed is suffering. They've gone from happy go lucky dogs to snippy snarling little things if you don't buy from a very seriously reputable breeder. This happens to every dog that gets popular. Cockers went through this and are still suffering after Lady and the Tramp. And currently Labs are having serious issues because of Marley and Me.

If you don't have a couple grand minimum to drop on a dog and a nice little savings account to back up the vet bills, please look into rescuing a dog that might have bulldog in it lineage some place but isn't a full blood. Like you said, you don't plan on showing or breeding, so why would you care about it's lineage anyway? There are tons of awesome breeds of dogs out there and they would probably be much better suited to you and your family.

Wanted to add that I also love the bulldogs and even thought of looking to rescue one myself. After some research I realized I don't have the time or the money for one. I've got other dogs from rottweilers to chihuahuas though and I can't imagine trading them for a bulldog. They're positively adorable dogs, but they're not for everyone, regardless of how cute they are!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,103,676 times
Here's a place to start...
The Bulldog Club of America Rescue Network

Please do yourself a favor and avoid buying a Bulldog on line, from the newspaper (BYB) or from a pet store. Rescues have a process in evaluating the dogs temperament, assess any health issues, and try to match a particular dog to a particular adopter. It's more work than buying one outright, the wrong way, but you will know something about the dog and the rescue org. will ALWAYS take the dog back if it doesn't work out.

A reputable breeder will also have it written into his/her contract that they will take the dog back for any reason and you will not be allowed to rehome/giveaway, etc. without express permission from them.

They are wonderful dogs, clowns that will make you laugh every day but like the others posted, you need to be prepared to dig deep in your pockets as their needs/conditions can be expensive to maintain.

Good luck! Save a life - adopt a pet.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:15 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,417,401 times
English Bulldogs are wonderful dogs, but anyone thinking of getting one should consider the downsides. These are dogs that have short lifespans and can and do just die suddenly as a previous poster had happen, usually from a heart attack. They do not tolerate heat at all, they cannot swim and can drown easily, they are prone to heart conditions, cherry eyes, hip problems, heat exhaustion, skin problems in the folds of their skin, males usually cannot mate the usual way and need artificial insemination, females often need c-sections, babies have a higher mortality rate than normal, the dogs do not tolerate anethesia well and can easily die during any surgical procedure, have breathing problems because of their smushed face, snore, slobber, has gas problems, etc. They are expensive to buy and expensive to maintain and keep healthy.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM

314 posts, read 1,102,113 times
English bulldogs are very popular in my part of Mississippi due to their mascot status for nearby Mississippi State University. They typically go for $1200-1500. Half of the die-hard MSU fans have or want one, which is pretty unfortunate as the flat nosed dogs don't do too well in the hellishly hot and humid summers we have here.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,985,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Please keep in mind that bulldogs right now are the dog to have, so every Tom, Dick and Harry went out and bought him a couple and tossed them in the backyard together to make himself a buck. They don't bother with silly little things like health testing or temerament issues. All they care about is making a buck. And because of that, the breed is suffering. They've gone from happy go lucky dogs to snippy snarling little things if you don't buy from a very seriously reputable breeder. This happens to every dog that gets popular. Cockers went through this and are still suffering after Lady and the Tramp. And currently Labs are having serious issues because of Marley and Me.

If you don't have a couple grand minimum to drop on a dog and a nice little savings account to back up the vet bills, please look into rescuing a dog that might have bulldog in it lineage some place but isn't a full blood. Like you said, you don't plan on showing or breeding, so why would you care about it's lineage anyway? There are tons of awesome breeds of dogs out there and they would probably be much better suited to you and your family.

Wanted to add that I also love the bulldogs and even thought of looking to rescue one myself. After some research I realized I don't have the time or the money for one. I've got other dogs from rottweilers to chihuahuas though and I can't imagine trading them for a bulldog. They're positively adorable dogs, but they're not for everyone, regardless of how cute they are!
exactly and when chihuahuas were real popular cause of paris hilton . I had people stopping me in the park asking me if my boy was neutered ? and when I answered them of course he is . they answered me Oh that is a shame ". well that just set me off and i went on a roll and told them to go visit a dog shelter and see how it is not a shame . I was not going to contribute to the over population of a breed . I am a spay and neuter advocate and will always be . and yes bybs have done everyone a disservice by doing their little money making schemes .

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,585,533 times
I have a beautiful English Bulldog...(I know the name of the breed is Bulldog but than you have differents breeds all under the same name and mine is an English Bulldog), with all papers showing he is a full breed.

I paid $ 1,600.- a little less than his brother was sold for since he had more white than ours. Ours has white on his face but is brindle. Every where we go people are saying how much he resambles "Zelda" and how good looking he is.

The other day 3 man came up to me when I was waiting outside a store with my 2 dogs. One came to me ask me how much he could give to me to get my dog....I was shocked!!!, and scared they would try to take him from me but luckily the walked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs