Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:38 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

I had to use diapers on a former foster who was incontinent, but I used regular baby diapers (much cheaper!) & cut a hole for his tail. I tried the bellyband wrap, but it would slide out of place and the liners did not absorb as well as the diapers. With some dogs it is better to express the bladder for them, either manually or with a urine catheter, because sometimes incontinent dogs (mostly ones that have been injured and are paralyzed in the lower region) are not able to get all of it out themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 30,448 times
How do you get the dog to keep diapers on? I have an older dog who is incontinent during the night. I have put these diapers on her and in the morning the dry diaper is off and the cage is wet.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
We use them where I am working and surprisingly most of the dogs tend to leave them alone. They may look silly but if their use enables a dog who would otherwise be put to sleep or cast outside to remain a member of the family I think they are serving a very worthy purpose!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:35 AM

830 posts, read 2,711,437 times
You don't put them on your dog while they're walking down the street. It's OK to pee on the street (if you're a dog).

I used them on my girl in when she was freshly rescued, not housetrained, and with some issues that prevented her from catching on all that quickly to the housetraining thing. If there were situations where I could just not risk having her pee on the floor (for example, when I had to stay in a hotel room with her), she wore one. The goal was still always to teach her that you go outside, not on the floor OR the diaper.

Her taking them off or eating them was never an issue at all. I ended up getting a washable fabric one - disposables being too wasteful.

Anyway, humans wearing diapers is pretty silly too, if you think about it. The natural thing to do is to move the naked baby away from you and let them pee on the ground. But we've now got a cultural expectation that baby = wear diapers, so that's what we do. Oh well.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Some folks use them on females (dogs) when they are in heat to keep them from soiling carpet, floors, etc.
My son used them on his GR and said it was a PITA. Everytime the dog went out to potty he had to remove it so she could do her business. He got his dog spayed.
I've never seen them used as body waste diapers. I think they are more intended for controlling drips of females in heat than to be used as a feces or urine diaper.
I can see them being used maybe for pee diapers to absorb it. But for the other #2 thing it looks to me like the dog would need a bath as well as a diaper change.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:04 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
I used them for my one dog when she went into heat before I could get her fixed and I found that regular baby diapers - the pull up pants for toddlers, which have elastic instead of the sticky tabs worked the best at keeping them on. You just need to poke a hole for the tail which I could do with my fingers while I was putting it on her. They also are waaaay cheaper than dog diapers.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:35 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I use these for my female, who is not spayed, when she is in heat to keep blood from getting all over the carpets, etc. They manage to stay on during the day but tend to come off at night. I have two pairs of denim with some of the strongest velcro I've ever seen attached to them!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
For my ancient Shepherd mix who cannot make it through my whole night shift of work without an accident, I got a "male wrap" from Dr. Foster&Smith. It's just a stretchy band with velcro. I put a human newborn diaper inside it and he wears it all night. He isn't flexible enough to turn to get it off, and doesn't have any teeth, but I think it would stay on anyway.
He does look very offended when I put it on, even though he gets chicken once it's on.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
A couple I work with keep diapers on their dog. Both our dogs have the same medical problem, ectopic ureter. They make their own diapers and line them with pads. They have not had any problems with their dog trying to get them off. They have several diapers using different material so they can be quite creative.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Default Anyone use dog diapers?

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclay View Post
How do you get the dog to keep diapers on? I have an older dog who is incontinent during the night. I have put these diapers on her and in the morning the dry diaper is off and the cage is wet.
My 13 year old female began to have urinary incontinence when sleeping. I used pull-ups and over that a pair of my grandsons underwear with the opening used for the tail. Stayed on well. For my male, I sometimes use a belly band with a sanitary pad----for instance, if we'll be out for a few hours--he is 3, and forgets his potty manners when no one's around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs