Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,978,338 times

Advertisements

sounds like the military and I am not surprised my brother was in the navy for many years and he never married , had kids or pets and that is one of the reasons why . It is too hard to have kids in the military because they get moved around alot and my brother saw how it took a toll on the kids . they cant make friends because you dont know where the next move will be and you cannot have pets cause you dont know if you will be able to rehome them . my brother managed to stay single while in the navy and never had pets till he retired i now understand why . I hope that someone will take notice and use the word re home instead of dispose . as long as this countrys military thinks that way nothing will change and this kind of thinking leads to full shelters !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,876,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
... they cant make friends because you dont know where the next move will be and you cannot have pets cause you dont know if you will be able to rehome them ....
I have kids AND pets and we are a military family. My kids have friends, and make friends each time we move. Its not easy but they are not going to live somewhere for 3-4 yrs and not make friends, just because we don't know where we will move next. That is just silly.

My cat has moved with us. We just got a dog. Our next move may be to Kadena (Okinawa). There are a bazillion hoops to jump through, and you have to do things in a specific order, but you can bring your dog. Many military do CONUS to CONUS moves and that simply entails leaving room in your car for the animals. I do believe some OCONUS assignments do not allow animals. In that case, I know in our area there is a no-kill shelter that charges about $200 or so to take in a pet. That would be our last resort if we could not take our dog or cat with us and we could find no one to adopt them.

Military people should be aware though that most (if not all) military housing limits you to two dogs, two cats, or a cat and a dog. We live off base currently and can have as many animals as we want, but we are limiting it to one dog and one cat because of that rule.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:09 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,129,073 times
Wonder when they made this list??
When I was going into the Army in 1973 I had a horse the Army was going to transport to Alabama for me & stable him while I went thru Basic!! Of couse back then trains hauled horses & allowed dogs & cats on them! Easier to move around with pets back then. Now unless the animal is for a Handicap Person they are not allowed on board....grrrrrr
In 1982 my 1st litter of pups [rough collies] I sold 2 to a military family the 1 pup went every where at military expence [the other pup got car sick so was rehomed!] Years later 1 of my shelties was sold to military & was transport around the country with them! Even went overseas!! Dang dog saw more of the world than I did & ask them once if they would take me if I dressed as a dog LOL!!

As for them putting the Trained dogs to sleep...they feel its best as most trained dogs can not be fully trusted in the public life. More of a libility than its worth. Tho some were addopted by there handlers. I have to agree tho for the most part as when I was a kids my brothers playing in the yard got bite by a trained Military Dog..

Last edited by Katie1; 04-30-2009 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM

426 posts, read 1,566,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
As for them putting the Trained dogs to sleep...they feel its best as most trained dogs can not be fully trusted in the public life. More of a libility than its worth.
They used to think that, but they can be re-trained (reprogrammed?), and they are doing just that now. Not just trained guard/patrol dogs, but also the bomb & drug sniffing dogs, SAR dogs, and young dogs that flunk out of the training programs for one reason or another. (That reason can be one of many, including not having enough drive to become a working dog - but would make a fine pet.) This includes not just german shepherds, but labs and other breeds that are trained as detection dogs.

A few years ago they passed a law where they can adopt them out now. First pick goes to law enforcement agencies, then former handlers or veterans, and then the public. Nobody really knows about it though.

Some links with more info:

Home

"FLUFFY", Iraqi Freedom

MWD Resolution, H.R. 5314

Lackland Air Force Base - 341st MWD

Not to hijack this thread or anything...

Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,129,073 times
Drug dogs are harmless they are not expected or trained to attack. For decades they have been rehomed. I have known several in their new homes. I myself tried to adopt 1. The dog that bit my brother was an attack/guard dog & even the woman that married the soldier handler was scarred of the dog & scared for her baby.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM

716 posts, read 1,117,056 times
These military guidelines are pretty old and not written by the best. When I was in the military we could submit corrections to written material, but not for grammar or spelling, only for incorrect information. You get used to this dry, technical style of writing. So don't take it so literally.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 595 times
i am going into the army but i have a cat...will i be able to keep it while im active...can i bring it on base...

Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 569,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick saywitz View Post
i am going into the army but i have a cat...will i be able to keep it while im active...can i bring it on base...
Are you a single soldier or married? If you are a single soldier pets are not allowed in the barracks.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,806,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick saywitz View Post
Probably better to post this question under the military and cat forums. There is an organization that offers fostering for active military headed overseas.

Guardian Angels for Soldiers' Pet

Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,910,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
sounds like the military and I am not surprised my brother was in the navy for many years and he never married , had kids or pets and that is one of the reasons why . It is too hard to have kids in the military because they get moved around alot and my brother saw how it took a toll on the kids . they cant make friends because you dont know where the next move will be and you cannot have pets cause you dont know if you will be able to rehome them . my brother managed to stay single while in the navy and never had pets till he retired i now understand why . I hope that someone will take notice and use the word re home instead of dispose . as long as this countrys military thinks that way nothing will change and this kind of thinking leads to full shelters !!!
I grew up in the military. Had lots of friends, all over the place. The only thing I sometimes didn't like was being the new kid in school. Most of the schools you go to are full of military kids, which gives you something in common.

We also had pets. We took them wherever we went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs