U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,406,704 times

Advertisements

So PC was neutered yesterday and it's been nothing but problems since. He was lethargic, which is expected, but I figured it would wear off. Now, he is terrified of EVERYTHING. If someone approaches him too fast, passing cars, kids, etc, and he gets scared. We never had this problem before.

I took him outside to pee this morning, and he peed on the sidewalk before we even got to the grass and it was pure blood. The vet said it's most likely cystitis and put him on antibiotics, but why is he having all these issues after such a simple procedure?? His poop is pure liquid, he sleeps all day and is a totally different dog. Anyone else experience these things after neutering? Will I ever get the same dog back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 PM

458 posts, read 1,171,883 times
I would not worry, it is hard on a dog yo undergo any type of operation and his body is adjusting. Just give him more time and if in a week he is still the same bring him back.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:35 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,136,786 times
I'd say the same....give him a day or two to get the anesthesia totally out of his system. I know when humans have surgery often times it takes awhile to feel normal again.....keep an eye out for anything alarming but give him a day or two.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM

13,807 posts, read 14,640,285 times
ahhh poor dog, hope he feels better in a day or so if not something is wrong. it took my dog (spay) about 3 days to feel better

Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,015,160 times
Hey Mak, we had Clyde neutered too, same day. He's still on the dopey side too. Hubby says we should just get him head phones and Pink Floyd CDs for the rest of the day!

Give him another day and if he's not better, call the vet. They are like people; some take the procedure better than others.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:48 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
I hope the PC does better quickly! I never had any problems with neutering dogs but one cat did poorly on the anesthesia and was never the same afterwards - I always thought it ws a little brain damage. But cats are much smaller than dogs and that was 20 yrs ago, so I'm sure they do better these days.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,172,192 times
I disagree with twaiting for a week, or even a couple of days - nothing about PC's after neuter behavior is normal. I would head back to the vet. I'm sorry if I'm wrong in remembering what kind of dog PC is - a bulldog, I believe? Yes, I remember your thread and all the questions you had beforehand and there was lots of excellent advice and you seemed to have had an experienced vet with brachycephalic breeds and their special needs.

He should not be lethargic the day after. Did you have a discussion about the anesthesia to be used, an open IV line and hydrating fluids, and what drug would be used to counteract the anesthesia after the surgery? I feel so bad that you feel badly, and even moreso, PC is having problems. Is he eating today and drinking normally? I guess it could take a day or two for his digestive system to return to normal but I wouldn't wait a week to "wait and see." Has he been on any pain meds after the surgery?

I posted in your pre-neuter thread about my Frenchy being neutered too - his surgery was last Wednesday - he was also microchipped and I had his dew claws removed (another thread topic). He has not missed a beat. He was home by 4 pm, drinking, eating, normal potty routine, good stools, slept well the first night and by Thursday, he was pretty much his normal self.

I'm not trying to make you feel badly - I know you already do and want to have your sweet boy back. I'd be a mess if I'd gone thru the same thing with Wolfgang and I promise you, I would have already been back to the vet wanting answers. Have you ever used this vet before? Were there any pre-anesthesia meds (injectables) or do they just mask down? I'm asking all these questions trying to come up with an educated guess about PC's reactions and physical condition.

BUT, AS ALWAYS, see your vet if you have any doubts at all. In the meantime, try to keep PC hydrated and eating so he will regain his strength. I'll keep your boy in my prayers and will be interested in keeping up with this thread as his recovery goes forward. We send sweet Boston and Frenchy kisses and gentle hugs to PC.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,015,160 times
Quote:
He should not be lethargic the day after.
That's not necessarily true. All dogs handle it differently and some take longer to come around. This is the second one recently I've had that's taken a couple days to return to normal. I spay and neuter over 50 dogs a year. It's actually not all that uncommon.

If the OP feels that it's something to be concerned about, by all means get him in to the vet. However, being lethargic is not a big deal.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,013,817 times
Well if someone cut your private parts, I bet you'd become paranoid too. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,056,230 times
MAK,

I do know that some people respond differently to anesthesia than others. It can make some people (not all) very sick. After my father had a small operation once, he was horribly ill the next day as a result of the anesthesia.

Another thing, the anesthesia can make it difficult for some people to pee -- they cannot pee without a catheter for a day or two until their muscles get back in action.

Let us know how PC is doing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs