Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times

Advertisements

One thing that raises a red flag with me is the fact that you will not be bringing your pup home for another month. By leaving the pup with the breeder, where it will be kept outside in the company of other dogs and not in a home environment, your pup will be missing a critical period for training and socialization.

Breeds such as Rotties need early and frequent exposure to varied experiences, people and noises, and the earlier after 7 weeks the better.

Developmental Stages
http://www.bcrescuetexas.org/Training/ATM_Socialization.pdf (broken link)

Since you are determined to get a pup, please familiarize yourself with the canine developmental stages and key socialization and training periods so you can ensure your new dog will be properly socialized. NOTHING is more important than this for a breed that already suffers from so many negative stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,710,039 times
Why are you not bringing the pup home until another month if you don't mind sharing.

I also think that this decision might not have been the wisest. I do applaud you for asking questions and doing your research, that is a lot more then many owners do, though it is a wise choice there.

It seems you've made hasty decisions rather then finding a reputable breeder. Many do exist but to be finding one so quickly and bouncy between breeders.

BTW I don't consider 4.5 months old at all. I've got dogs that were like 5yrs old, older and of course young too. Sometimes I wish I had raised a couple but the work I had to put into them was just as much "fun" and bonding as with a pup I think. You can still train them to do what you want and not to do what you don't want, dogs are very smart and conditioning an older dog is not hard.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I found a different breeder who has one at 7 weeks. When I get the dog, it will be 11 weeks old. The reason I am not bringing it home for another month is because I'm leaving the country and he agreed to keep it for me until I returned. He seemed to be quite informed of these dogs and he was able to answer all of the questions I had. The mother dog was huge, but really respected him. He helped me look through the different dogs and he explained how each one was different, he could have been putting on a show... but he seemed to really care about the dogs, but I prefer it inside :P

Trust me, if I could take it home today, I would :P but I have to wait until I move out of my current house and get back from Colombia.

I've been reading about docked tails a little bit.. I don't believe the dogs had docked tails.. could this lead to any sort of problems with the dogs? I see some people say that having the tails can lead to infections and other problems.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I want to raise the dog, I'm not going to neglect it and I'm going to put in my homework. I am not taking home the dog until next month. I'm already reading about it, haha, but does anybody have any special tips for rottweilers?
I read every bit of reading material I could find, researched endless hours on-line, looked for breed specific message boards and went to dog shows where I could speak with owners of the breed I was interested in. Point in case - I did all the work before getting the dog. I even had numerous conversations with my vet of 20+ years about potential health concerns and the costs for treatment, etc.

You've got a long road ahead but with hard work and a lifetime commitment, it's doable. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:08 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,974 times
A docked tail is part of the breed standard, otherwise he c/b mistaken for a mix - tail docking has been done for many years b/c of potential injuries that can be suffered by working breeds, sporting breeds etc. Did the parents have docked tails? Would be surprised if they did and the puppies didnt but it happens sometimes. Vets usually dock tails at about 5 days around the time they check the puppies to make sure they're healthy, later it becomes major surgery. I'm sure they can manage quite fine w/o docked tails but there are also situations where their tails are like whips and if they hit you in the wrong spot, oh my! If the breeder was so open and informed about his breeding, would definitely call him back and get his take on it. Were the puppies vet checked, do they have their first set of puppy shots?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
If you have Rotty rescue group near you, I would call them, ask as many questions as possible.
He's got one of the best rottie rescues I've seen in this country in the same city he lives in. I suggested contacting them in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
A docked tail is part of the breed standard, otherwise he c/b mistaken for a mix - tail docking has been done for many years b/c of potential injuries that can be suffered by working breeds, sporting breeds etc. Did the parents have docked tails? Would be surprised if they did and the puppies didnt but it happens sometimes. Vets usually dock tails at about 5 days around the time they check the puppies to make sure they're healthy, later it becomes major surgery. I'm sure they can manage quite fine w/o docked tails but there are also situations where their tails are like whips and if they hit you in the wrong spot, oh my! If the breeder was so open and informed about his breeding, would definitely call him back and get his take on it. Were the puppies vet checked, do they have their first set of puppy shots?
There is a huge move in the rottie world to stop docking tails. Many breeders have been asking AKC to allow tailed rotties in the show ring. Docking is banned in the UK and that's the way many breeders would like to go. Now, I really doubt that's the real reason this one isn't docked. It's more likely more money the 'breeder' would have had to spend and would have cut into those profits. Can't have that now, can we?

Quote:
One thing that raises a red flag with me is the fact that you will not be bringing your pup home for another month. By leaving the pup with the breeder, where it will be kept outside in the company of other dogs and not in a home environment, your pup will be missing a critical period for training and socialization.

Breeds such as Rotties need early and frequent exposure to varied experiences, people and noises, and the earlier after 7 weeks the better.

Developmental Stages
http://www.bcrescuetexas.org/Trainin...ialization.pdf (broken link)

Since you are determined to get a pup, please familiarize yourself with the canine developmental stages and key socialization and training periods so you can ensure your new dog will be properly socialized. NOTHING is more important than this for a breed that already suffers from so many negative stereotypes.
I disagree with that first site. Dogs need to be with their mother, or at least with other well balanced dogs, until they are at least 8 weeks, preferably 10 weeks. They learn about bite inhibition most importantly at those ages. Puppies taken from their mother before then are much more likely to be 'nippy'. I've taken in many fosters that obviously were taken much too young. When I can't correct the behavior myself, I put them out back with my female rottie. She's amazing with them. She's very patient and will play with them, but when their playing gets too rough or aggressive she nips them and puts them back in line. It's how they learn where that line in the sand is. It's a very vital lesson for them.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:03 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
To burgler09,
Please visit Gulfstream Guardian Angels Rottweiler Rescue. Contact Yoly Ramirez at YGRotts@aol.com or call her at 954-309-0115. The Rottweiler rescue at Miami have many Rottweilers. She will introduce all of them to you and you can pick. My friend adopts one from them. Very good dog!
I understand your wish. I always bought my previous dog from high price and good breeders. However, my recently adopted GSD changed my mind. I don't have to house train her and she listens very well. Visit the Rottweilers at rescue to see how you feel.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
Oh you won't be disappointed. We've been rottie owners for over 20 years...wonderful, loyal breed!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
To burgler09,
Please visit Gulfstream Guardian Angels Rottweiler Rescue. Contact Yoly Ramirez at YGRotts@aol.com or call her at 954-309-0115. The Rottweiler rescue at Miami have many Rottweilers. She will introduce all of them to you and you can pick. My friend adopts one from them. Very good dog!
I understand your wish. I always bought my previous dog from high price and good breeders. However, my recently adopted GSD changed my mind. I don't have to house train her and she listens very well. Visit the Rottweilers at rescue to see how you feel.
I told him to contact Grace too, but he chose to go buy a puppy from a BYB. I still suggest calling them for training advice, getting on a good rottie forum (the one I gave is 90% people who have spent their entire life professionally showing, working, and breeding rotts) and find yourself an excellent trainer familiar with the breed.

Properly socialized and trained you won't find a better breed. But if you don't do both of those things properly you and the entire city of Miami can have a big problem on your hands. Rushing out and making such an unthought out purchase of a puppy from a poor breeder was a major bad start. I really hope you can turn it around and do right by this puppy. It's got a big disadvantage already. Only you doing the right things will change that.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:49 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
He's got one of the best rottie rescues I've seen in this country in the same city he lives in. I suggested contacting them in the first place.

There is a huge move in the rottie world to stop docking tails. Many breeders have been asking AKC to allow tailed rotties in the show ring. Docking is banned in the UK and that's the way many breeders would like to go. Now, I really doubt that's the real reason this one isn't docked. It's more likely more money the 'breeder' would have had to spend and would have cut into those profits. Can't have that now, can we?

I disagree with that first site. Dogs need to be with their mother, or at least with other well balanced dogs, until they are at least 8 weeks, preferably 10 weeks. They learn about bite inhibition most importantly at those ages. Puppies taken from their mother before then are much more likely to be 'nippy'. I've taken in many fosters that obviously were taken much too young. When I can't correct the behavior myself, I put them out back with my female rottie. She's amazing with them. She's very patient and will play with them, but when their playing gets too rough or aggressive she nips them and puts them back in line. It's how they learn where that line in the sand is. It's a very vital lesson for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I totally agree with you.

I hope Burgler didn't buy from a BYB. I wonder if he asked to see bloodlines on the parents.
So many unwanted...or Rotties without a home for other sad reasons...
I hope he is aware of how if rotts contract Parvo...how very deadly it can be. It's very rare for Rotts to survive parvo. It can happen. We've had 2 of ours survive. I pray this person really is researching & understands everything involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs