Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 23,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
If your boxer is causing his tail to bleed than I think you should have it done. They are known to break them, and rebrake them many times. Which is obviously painful, and if he can go through only one surgery it might be your best bet.

Just be aware that having it done now is going to be very painful. It is now not a tail docking but an amputation. When they do it as pups (at 2-3 days) their nervous system is not fully developed so they get over it faster.

Best wishes with your crazy boxer - gotta love em! I have a flashy fawn female I rescued from a pound. I can't even remember life without her.
Thats actually not true they have proven that puppies are just like babies they do have a fully developed nervous system and do feel the pain...I agree with tail docking in some breeds and instances...tail docking would have prevented my dog from having "happy tail" syndrome...which I think ends
up being more painful..the tip of tail would bleed from her smacking it hard on walls or anything else . Blood would spray all over the walls and make a big mess.. we cleaned and dressed the wound and gave antibiotics after the tail became infected but the tip of the tail still died and it was so painful for her..if she had her tail docked sje would have never had this type of reoccurring problem.
You can dock the tail at home if u have the right equipment. .I know at some of the vet supply stores they have rubberbands that are made for castrating cattle I believe they also have some for docking the dogs tail..

Last edited by nroybal6; 05-15-2014 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: wanted to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
A Friend of mine adopted a poodle with a long tail and thought of having it docked.
The Vet said not to do it because it would be extremely painful.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
oh lord do not even remotely take a chance on doing this yourself at home. How would you feel if you can't control the pain, bleeding and possible infection. don't do it.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Docking should be done when they are pups (if desired). You simply band the tail at the appropriate spot and the tip will eventually fall off.

Adult dogs are totally different. Vet procedure definitely. I'd imagine it is quite painful for the animal. However if the animal is going to be prone to injury (and possible infection), then I could understand the necessity for it.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 AM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Docking should be done when they are pups (if desired). You simply band the tail at the appropriate spot and the tip will eventually fall off.

Adult dogs are totally different. Vet procedure definitely. I'd imagine it is quite painful for the animal. However if the animal is going to be prone to injury (and possible infection), then I could understand the necessity for it.
Yes. My saint never got her extra toe on her hind legs removed. Puppies are supposed to have it done when they are a few days old bc waiting now makes it more difficult and advanced a surgery.

I could only imagine boxers tail. My saints tail is thicker and a bit fluffy but you can hear it when she gets excited. It even wakes me in the morning, its a THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP, like a baseball bat. Our goldens tail is feathered and more of a "wiper". He will clean sweep something off a table. Every tail has a personality. if its for the best of the dog, then do it. And like others said, I'd rather pay more up front for a reputable vet than get it cheaper and end up with problems down the line or god forbid an infection that seriously injures him.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:50 AM

857 posts, read 2,216,261 times
A DOGS TAIL IS AN EXTENSION OF THE SPINE AND ALSO USED FOR BALANCE.

If not done as a puppy,it shouldn't be done.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:24 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
Thanks for an informative post, I always thought docking was human preference, now I know it serves a purpose at least for some dogs. =)

Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
As far as I know, it has been illegal in England and a couple other countries to dock tails The AKC accepts boxers in the show ring without docked tails and without cropped ears. I am just mentioning this because there are now a whole lot of dogs who are somehow successfully growing up with their tails in tact. Maybe you should look into that

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
Docking a tail is cruel. A Veterinarian told me it was like cutting off the dog's smile.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
I have had to have it done on a dog. At this age it is serious surgery, but can be done. He will have to be crated for some time, and wear the cone of shame for some time. You will have to be sure it stays dry.

Dogs have legs amputated when necessary. No it's not something one decides to do lightly, but if it's needed.... it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs