Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:56 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,975,842 times

Advertisements

If anyone is having trouble with an online pharmacy like I and some others have had, there is an alternative you may not be aware of.
This only applies to certain medications, namely those that are pet, and human compatible.
Two medications come to mind, but a talk with your local pharmacist, and vet , can better explain the medications.

Tramadol 50mg for pets is exactly the same as for humans, as well as thyroid tabs.
Tramadol in larger dosages than 50mg contain acetaminophen , which you can't give your pet.
Vets usually prescribe the 50 mg dose.
Both Tramadol, and thyroid tabs can be bought at your local pharmacy, thus doing away with shipping cost, and wait times.

I am having a problem getting the medication for my dog that I ordered, and paid for 10 days ago(,tomorrow will be day 11) from the number one online pet pharmacy.
I had to take a trip to my vet today to get them because yesterday the supply ran out.
Still waiting for the shipment I paid for, and all I am getting is excuses, and apologies.
That is not good enough.

I will be getting the dog's medication at my local pharmacy from now on.
Unlike the online pharmacy, refills are automatic.
The cost difference is practically non-existent, especially when no shipping charges are involved.

You folks dealing with an online pharmacy might want to talk with your local pharmacy to see if you can get the medications for your pets there.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:14 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,998,652 times
This is a good point. There are many meds that are identical. Calguy mentioned pain meds. Antibiotics are another example. Doxycycline is doxycycline, etc. Human or dog - no diff. Etc. I have, while letting my vet know, substituted leftover antibiotics and/or pain meds from some dental or other procedure. No probs.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:51 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Totally agree with this. I haven't tried to get this particular med through an online pharmacy so I can't speak to that but I can speak to buying it from a local human pharmacy.

My dog is on Keppra for seizures. It's a human med, too. If I get it through the vet's office, it's $280 a month. I purchase it from the Costco pharmacy (I'm not a member and non-members can use the pharmacy without a problem) - it's just under $40 a month. It's the exact same thing - not a generic. I get the Pill Pockets that I use there too. I've never had any problem doing it this way.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:48 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Thank God I have not needed many meds for any of my dogs but the few time I have I got the best prices at the Pharmacy at Costco.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:24 PM

454 posts, read 495,518 times
Wow, that sucks. I get some of my dogs' meds from Drs Foster & Smith. They've been pretty good and have the auto-refill. If you're using one of the big ones, I'm amazed they don't offer that for you.

Having said that, I've gotten lots of my pups' prescriptions from Walgreens since they're the same as human ones.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Just an update;
The medication arrived on day twelve from the online pharmacy.
It cost me triple at the vet when I had to buy the pills from the vet, waiting for the shipment.
I called the online pharmacy, and told them how disappointed I was, and would never use them again, and I demanded they pay what I had to pay the vet.
They agreed to pay, and I insisted they send a check, next day delivery.
They didn't want to , but as soon as I mentioned "yelp", they changed their tune.

The check arrived the next morning.
I offered them proof of what I spent at the vet, but stated they wouldn't need it.

Bob.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:18 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
Thank you for reminding me why I buy prescription medications from the vets

However, there is a pharmaceutical in Florida that I buy my non-prescription arthritis meds for one horse and one dog because they are both a lot cheaper than buying from the vet.

https://www.allivet.com/mobile/

They sell prescription medications but I only buy non-prescription medications from them.

This company has always been expedient in processing my orders so I really hope this is not the pharmacy the OP is referencing

Old 12-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Thank you for reminding me why I buy prescription medications from the vets

However, there is a pharmaceutical in Florida that I buy my non-prescription arthritis meds for one horse and one dog because they are both a lot cheaper than buying from the vet.

https://www.allivet.com/mobile/

They sell prescription medications but I only buy non-prescription medications from them.

This company has always been expedient in processing my orders so I really hope this is not the pharmacy the OP is referencing
No it isn't the one I dealt with.
The one I had the problem uses their 1- 800 number in their name.

Bob.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:19 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Thanks for giving us a clue. That's the company I get my dog's Denamarin from. I haven't had a problem . . . in fact their service has been incredibly fast. I ordered it last Friday, standard shipping, and it arrived on Monday. I do this monthly and it's always shipped the same day as my order.
Granted, it's an OTC product, not prescription.

I'm sorry you've had such a poor experience with them. I think I'll stick with Costco for dog scripts.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
My dog has been taking Gabapentin 50mg tabs----tiny tabs they are called--which have to be compounded...I buy from my TX vet but we are in FL and FL vet does not stock them
They were a PITA over new yrs holidays when I was trying to get local refill since we are in FL
My TX vet finally called RX in to Westwood in NJ I think--someplace on Eastern side
They were pleasant but RX did not ship as soon as they promised and USPS to FL sucks--
Takes at least 2 days longer than anyone thinks
I reduced her dose but ran out of pills since it was "promised" for last Sat and didn't show until Tuesday

Now she is having issues with her right rear leg and back--don't know exactly why
Took her to FL vet today and while they could manipulate her leg w/o much reaction - not like the tendon/ligament in her knee was issues--she had funny episode at dinner when her feet couldn't seem to keep purchase on the LVT floor--like old fashioned linoleum--kind of slick
No limping but not steady
Had to put a towel down for floor for her to stand on to finish eating...

We are going to increase her Gabapentin dose to 200 a day from 100 and she started a new RX for anti inflamatory med----1 dose a day--7 pills for almost $4 per pill--forget name--
Almost sounds like Gabapentin...
The Gabapention 100 mg capsules are easy to get so upgrading dose will mean easier access

She gets her Usiodiol at Costco--two brands are carried at Costco and one is twice price of the other--but Costco is cheapest for what is a human grade drug...

We don't give our dog any joint supplements
What do you recommend for arthritis-joint issues?
Fish oil she tried in the past we got from Costco--
Anyone use Kirkland brand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs