U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,336,353 times

Advertisements

Who runs with their dog? I used to run with our choc lab regularly, it was great. She loved it. I started her with short runs (1/2 mile or so) at about 8 months of age and built up slowly from there. By the time she was about 1-1/2 years old, she would regularly run 3-5 miles with me and be ready for more. Fast forward a few years and I have 2 lab mix pups now, 8 and 9 months. I've been thinking of starting running with them, again starting off slowly. I've always heard differing opinions concering running with your dog. Some think it is too much stress on their joints. My vet is of the opinion that if you start them off with short distances and do it with them regularly, it is great for them physically and mentally. Of course, you have to be very aware of the temperatures, as they can overheat quickly. What are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,858,575 times
My opinion would be your pups are far too young to consider it at the moment - their skeletons are still growing. I personally would wait at least until they are over one year old - being big dogs, they'll just take longer to mature.

However, once fully mature (physically).... I don't see why not. I did until we moved - we all loved it.

I start with a different method - I go for the interval training technique until we all are fit. I found all dogs I take running cotton on very quickly using this + a verbal cue - i.e. something like short medium tone "Hup!" when we're to set off at the jog. Then warn before you come back to walk with a higher pitched "and.... walk". It teaches the dog to move at exactly your pace and pay attention waiting for the next interval.

They loved it.... I was rather less enamoured.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,980,682 times
My borzoi gaits along side my bicycle. It took some time training and working up to a decent distance. Keeps him in shape for showing. We alternate from a fast pace to a rapid walk, may occasionally run short spurts. When the bike comes out he goes nuts!!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:38 PM

753 posts, read 1,442,088 times
I agree with waiting until they are passed one year. If I wasn't so lazy I would run with my boxer, she'd probably love it!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM

9,775 posts, read 24,213,568 times
I WAS an avid runner...but no more. My knees just can't take the pounding on the pavement and I refuse to run around a oval track. My buddy at the time, Chevy ran along with me and loved it. In fact, he was my inspiration to get off my butt and go! He shamed me into every morning! Those Northern Ca. mornings are perfect for running.
Alas, between the knees and Texas mornings...heat and humidity...there isn't any way. Dog couldn't take it, and I certainly couldn't either!
Just found a great leash tho...for walkers/runners...it is amazingly light and can circle your waist.
It has a padded handle...and a handle down near the neck, for a quick grab.
https://www.backcountryk9.com/73/0/Products.aspx

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

3,388 posts, read 8,063,633 times
I have always heard not to do forced running with a dog until the growth plates close. I don't know when that is for labs. For GSDs it is around 18 months.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:09 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,979,203 times
I disagree with the posters who say you need to wait. Wait for what? Dogs are built to run. In the wild, they might go 30 miles in a day. Once I fostered a puppy, only 5 months old, and she traveled up to 5 miles with me in a day, usually running circles around me. And this little girl had short legs. Believe me, it was nothing for her. She went bananas when I put my shoes on.

Two labs, 8 and 9 months, yes you can run them. Just start them slow and work up gradually as you would yourself if you were just starting out running. You can try a combination of walking and running -- and avoid the heat. The dogs will tell you if they are tired.

W.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-05-2009 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,858,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
In the wild, they might go 30 miles in a day.
AFAIK Lab mixes do not exist in the wild. It's a moot point.

What's the life expectancy in the wild? There is no life expectancy in the wild because domestic dog breeds do not exist in the wild.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,979,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
AFAIK Lab mixes do not exist in the wild. It's a moot point.

What's the life expectancy in the wild? There is no life expectancy in the wild because domestic dog breeds do not exist in the wild.
The domestic dog (canis lupus familiaris) is a subspecies of the gray wolf (canis lupus).

Dogs are very efficient at running. Actually, a medium to large dog traveling alongside a jogger is only trotting, where all diagonal legs are moving forward at the same time. Your dog is literally being propelled along by two sets of legs, instead of one like us humans. A dog can sustain that gait for a long time, provided he has plenty of water to drink and doesn't get overheated. On warm days, I used to hose my dog down before going out for a walk.

# # #

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-05-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 PM

65 posts, read 325,163 times
what do you do if your pup has a super high level of energy?

when our golden was a pup (5 months), he had a lot of energy that if we don't run with him, he'd run around the apartment, hit himself against the wall, run to the other side, hit himself again on the other side.. and would continue till he's tired or when we finally take him out. This is after we taught him not to chew on our shoes and remote controls.. before he started this running everywhere thing, he'd chew on stuff to burn his energy i guess..I had also read that we should have waited till he's older.. but at that time he'd also often take his toy to us wanting us to throw it somewhere so he could run and retrieve it. he's 3 now and still doing great.. but what should we have done then at that time?

At that time, we tried walking him but a few hours after the walk, he'd 'regain' his energy (usually in the middle of the night) again and would start running and hitting the walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs