Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times

Advertisements

my chi does not do well with most dry foods and right now he is on natural balance duck and potatoe . He has metabolic issues and it has been a nightmare . It started out with him getting tested for cocydia which he was treated for and supposidly it was gone and now it is back again the same old thing not cocydia obviously this poor dog has been such a guessing game with us and our vet . we have been through like 10 foods since he has been a puppy . we tried the green bean method and we tried the pumpkin and nothing has been found out about this dog . we have just decided to forego any more change of dog food and have a full blood panel run on this dog . I was going to try chicken soup for the soul but I have heard that it has grain in it and that is what happened last time all our dogs in this country started dying is that it had chineese grain in the food . Oh well if anyone has any suggestions I sure would appreciate it . thanks in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,087 times
My Sibe is eating Eukanuba's Venison and Potato. Seems to like it.

I often add water to the scoop of food, then warm it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds. The warm water makes a "gravy" that Bandit likes, but mostly it softens the food which makes it easier for him to digest.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,109 times
We have a Viszla mix and a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix and we feed them both Nutro's Max. It is better than the "grocery store" dog food, but not too unbelievably expensive ($30 for 35lbs, I think). They go through a bag in two weeks, so I can't get too spendy!! They both seem to like it - even though the Ridgeback eats anything and everything! We sometimes mix human food in with it as a treat. Nothing too spicy or gassy, though. They will smell the house up in no time!!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 50,103 times
I have one dog (4 yr. old border collie mix) that is corn allergic, which kind of puts the kibosh to just about any commercial dog food our there. The other (6 mo. old Jack Russel mix) will eat anything that doesn't bite back too hard.

I have found a food that both of them love. It's called Taste of the Wild : Home. I feed them the roasted fowl.

With the older dog, I tried a raw diet, and she wouldn't touch it, but during my search, I found Taste of the Wild. It's not cheap, but not overly expensive.

There is also a good food by Merrick called "Before Grains". It's made here in Texas, so I don't know what the availability is. They also make a wet food that is pure meat with now fillers.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Told you all she hates kibble, well she must be very hungry because she's eating it right now...(after I dragged her away from the grass and rocks outside!)

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM

380 posts, read 963,447 times
Default Loyal Lamb and Rice / Go-Natural

We have two adult male Afghan Hounds. Before moving to Missouri I fed them Go-Natural lamb and rice made by Petcurian. It was expensive but they both had beautiful coats. I could also feed them less as there was very little filler in the kibble. As a matter of fact, you'll find our Will's picture on the Petcurean web site under the testimonials. Petcurian also makes a grain free dry food for both dogs and cats called Now.

I've been unable to buy Go Natural here in Missouri and having it shipped in doubles the cost so I had to find an alternative. We are currently feeding Loyal, made by Cargill. It is less expensive than Go-Natural - about $33 for 40 pounds. Cargil also makes Nutrena.

My boys are doing well on the Loyal Lamb and Rice. I supplement it with a chicken mash I make myself. I buy a whole frying chicken and slow cook it over night until the bones are soft. Then I puree it in a food processor, adding any left over veggies I might have, or brown rice. A few tablespoons get mixed in with their kibble. They are both quite active. They get just over two cups of kibble each, plus the chicken. I give them chicken strips I slow cook in the oven until like jerky (one each) in the morning (for breakfast).

Old 05-07-2009, 04:05 PM

36 posts, read 50,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I can't get our dog to eat hard pet food. He will if he's starving, but that's about it. He's very picky. I don't want to feed him wet/soft pet food so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that is both healthy and tasty.

I've tried Purina One, Beneful, Kibbles and Bits, and a few others; he doesn't like any of them.

BTW, he's a Rat Terrier a little over a year old if that makes any difference. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
I think if he won't eat just dry, you would be better off mixing in some moist. You could slowly decrease the amount of moist food until he is eating just the kibble.

And maybe it is the grains in the kibble he is objecting to? There are several good suggestions in other posts, as well as what I feed my dogs, though they really aren't that picky as eaters. If it doesn't move fast enough, it's fair game.

Have you tried a raw diet?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Has anyone tried "Chicken Soup For the Soul?" Last time I was at the feed store, someone was asking a clerk about it and the guy was talking it up big time.

Good luck Synopsis...
I have been feeding my dogs "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul" for the last 2 years. I like the list of ingredients:

Quote:
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, millet, white rice, ocean fish meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, tomato pomace, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried chicory root, chondroitin sulfate, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's not that the food being wet is any kind of an issue. It's because of the pet deaths awhile back that were all caused by canned, wet dog food.

If there is some canned dog food that is healthy and nutritious and won't make him overweight (and not something from China), then I'm all open to feeding him canned food as well.

You are so right, I wouldn't feed canned food either due to the problems in the past. But try soaking the dry food, it will be so much better on their teeth.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
We have been mixing yogurt in with our dogs dry food for a probiotic (they are very gassy) and they usually gobble their food right up now. They always eventually ate their dry food, but since we also give them one raw patty a day they are a bit spoiled! We are currently feeding them Nature's Logic but are switching to Orijen next week. We're hoping the grain free will help with the gas!

Orijen is an excellent food a bit pricey but great. Just a note, gas does not equal anything bad (contrary to what our noses tell us ) it's actually a sign of a good healthy gut, you shouldn't switch their diet based soley on gas. Gas just comes with being a mammal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs