Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What about a lamb/rice dog food I switched from Nutro to Diamond Lamb/Rice they seem to be doing ok on it. My one JRT is getting fat even.
The Nutro they started having problems with not eating it after years.?

Nutro Lamb & Rice (85) is better than Diamond Lamb & Rice (61), but neither are very good. Some of the better top quality kibble include (listed alphabetically):
  • Back to Basics (107)
  • Blue Buffalo Wilderness (119)
  • Canidae (119)
  • Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (113)
  • Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken (114)
  • Eagle Pack Natural (104)
  • Flint River Ranch Fish & Chips (109)
  • Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet & Rice (117)
  • Foundations Chicken & Vegetable (109)
  • Innova (117)
  • Natural Balance Duck & Potato (114)
  • Solid Gold Bison (123)
  • Solid Gold Wolf King (109)
  • Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken (105)
  • Solid Gold Millennia (111)
  • Timberwolf Organics Lamb & Venison (136)
  • Wysong Synorgon (110)
Rate your own kibble. Start with a grade of 100:
  • For every listing of "by-product", subtract 15 points;
  • For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points;
  • If there are no specific meats or meat meals, subtract 25 points
    For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, or grain "middlings", subtract 10 points;
  • If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 15 points;
  • If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points for each occurrence;
  • If the protein sources are not (specific) meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points;
  • If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 5 points;
  • If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points (subtract 5 if corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients);
  • If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 3 points;
  • If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points;
  • If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 5 points;
  • If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points;
  • If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point;
  • If it contains salt, subtract 3 points;
  • If it contains corn syrup, molasses, or other added sweetener, subtract 10 points
Extra Credit:
  • For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources - do not count egg, cheese, or other similar ingredients), add 1 point;
  • If the food contains 3 or less different mentions of grains (or other high-carb plant-based foods like potatoes), add 5 points;
  • If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points (if the number 1 ingredient is organic meat, add 10 points);
  • If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 3 points;
  • If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points;
  • If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points;
  • If the food contains fruit or vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points;
  • If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point;
  • If the food contains barley or oats or oatmeal, add 1 point;
  • If it contains sunflower, hemp, flaxseed, or other polyunsaturated vegetable oils, add 3 points (add 5 if it is the #1 fat);
  • If the vitamin and mineral sources are chelated, add 5 points
A = 94 - 100+
B = 86 - 93
C = 78 - 85
D = 70 - 77
F = < 70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,490 times
Read the label. Dog foods labeled as 'complete and balanced' must meet standards established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) either by meeting a nutrient profile or by passing a feeding trial. I would use a dry food that not only meet the profile but also has passed the feeding trial, which means that dog poop and dog health profile have been monitored through a period of time. If the food passed feeding trial, the label will say so.

Well, I actually feed my dog 50% Deli fresh dog food and 50% dry food that have passed the test.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My dog hates all kibble. Yes, she is darn spoiled. Even the Wellness...I can't just 'leave it' either and hopes she will eventually eat...she will just not eat...She'd rather eat sticks, rocks, lint, feathers, acorns...than her expensive kibble.

I supplement with 'people food.' Tonight she had some veggies, some left over macaroni (plain) and a bit of meat with her kibble.

Has anyone tried "Chicken Soup For the Soul?" Last time I was at the feed store, someone was asking a clerk about it and the guy was talking it up big time.

Good luck Synopsis...
Just be careful with the veggies... I read somewhere that onions are toxic to dogs!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
Puglvr said everything exactly right

There is nothing wrong with feeding raw and I really wish people who have never tried it to stop trying to educate others based on typical stereotypes of feeding raw.
Dogs also don't get salmonella etc. Please educate yourself further, cause to recommend Purina products over a canine's natural species appropriate diet of raw meat and raw meaty bones is absolutely absurd!!! Purina (along with a number of commercial kibbles) is full of corn, by-products and fillers. They are actually harmful to our dogs, they cause infertility, allergies, cancer, organ failure, and skin and coat issues.

This is not just my opinion but actual facts.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:56 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Nutro Lamb & Rice (85) is better than Diamond Lamb & Rice (61), but neither are very good. Some of the better top quality kibble include (listed alphabetically):
  • Back to Basics (107)
  • Blue Buffalo Wilderness (119)
  • Canidae (119)
  • Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (113)
  • Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken (114)
  • Eagle Pack Natural (104)
  • Flint River Ranch Fish & Chips (109)
  • Flint River Ranch Lamb, Millet & Rice (117)
  • Foundations Chicken & Vegetable (109)
  • Innova (117)
  • Natural Balance Duck & Potato (114)
  • Solid Gold Bison (123)
  • Solid Gold Wolf King (109)
  • Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken (105)
  • Solid Gold Millennia (111)
  • Timberwolf Organics Lamb & Venison (136)
  • Wysong Synorgon (110)
Rate your own kibble. Start with a grade of 100:
  • For every listing of "by-product", subtract 15 points;
  • For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points;
  • If there are no specific meats or meat meals, subtract 25 points
    For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, or grain "middlings", subtract 10 points;
  • If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 15 points;
  • If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer’s rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points for each occurrence;
  • If the protein sources are not (specific) meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points;
  • If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 5 points;
  • If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points (subtract 5 if corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients);
  • If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 3 points;
  • If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points;
  • If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 5 points;
  • If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points;
  • If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn’t allergic to beef), subtract 1 point;
  • If it contains salt, subtract 3 points;
  • If it contains corn syrup, molasses, or other added sweetener, subtract 10 points
Extra Credit:
  • For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "turkey" as 2 different sources - do not count egg, cheese, or other similar ingredients), add 1 point;
  • If the food contains 3 or less different mentions of grains (or other high-carb plant-based foods like potatoes), add 5 points;
  • If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points (if the number 1 ingredient is organic meat, add 10 points);
  • If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 3 points;
  • If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points;
  • If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points;
  • If the food contains fruit or vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points;
  • If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point;
  • If the food contains barley or oats or oatmeal, add 1 point;
  • If it contains sunflower, hemp, flaxseed, or other polyunsaturated vegetable oils, add 3 points (add 5 if it is the #1 fat);
  • If the vitamin and mineral sources are chelated, add 5 points
A = 94 - 100+
B = 86 - 93
C = 78 - 85
D = 70 - 77
F = < 70
I use to feed Flint River until it became hard to get. Switched to Nutro and my dogs started having issues with it so they told me Diamond was better than Nutro.
I had a collie that could not eat anything but lamb/rice she has since past so was thinking of finding a new food. My one JRT has gotten to fat on the Diamond.
Thanks.
Just found this.
The Diamond rating you put was for reg diamond dogfood.
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 = F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 = B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 = A

http://www.rotts-n-notts.com/info/display?PageID=2549

Last edited by Miborn; 05-18-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
We use Purina One Indoor Advantage. Our cats seem to like it pretty well.
They are inside cats, though.
If you have indoor/outdoor cats, they will eat some grass and other vegetation to get the extra nutrients they need, and you could probably go with a less expensive brand of cat food.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
We use Purina One Indoor Advantage. Our cats seem to like it pretty well.
They are inside cats, though.
If you have indoor/outdoor cats, they will eat some grass and other vegetation to get the extra nutrients they need, and you could probably go with a less expensive brand of cat food.
You do realize that you are feeding your carnivore primarily corn that they cannot digest, right? The reason they are eating grass and other vegetation is because there are NO nutrients at all in Purina.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Quote:
Two of the worst kibbles on the market today. Those who buy Iams and Purina should be cited for animal abuse because they must truly hate their critters to feed them that crap.
Well guess I'm guilty. Our English Bulldog lived to be 12, which is old for a bully, he was on purina one. My shepherd was on purina pro plan because I tried other kinds of so called high end foods and that was the only one that helped with his hot spots, ear infections and eye goop. People should be able to feed their dogs what works for them without people like you telling them that they are abusing there dogs.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Well guess I'm guilty. Our English Bulldog lived to be 12, which is old for a bully, he was on purina one. My shepherd was on purina pro plan because I tried other kinds of so called high end foods and that was the only one that helped with his hot spots, ear infections and eye goop. People should be able to feed their dogs what works for them without people like you telling them that they are abusing there dogs.
You might as well be feeding him shards of glass for all it does to alleviate his skin and ear problems. It has about the same nutritional value as well.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,216,070 times
Quote:
Two of the worst kibbles on the market today. Those who buy Iams and Purina should be cited for animal abuse because they must truly hate their critters to feed them that crap.

Tried to rep ya there Glitch but must have done it too recently...at least some people actually educate themselves on what proper canine nutrition actually is! So sad that people out there literally believe those commercials tell the truth about their product...what a shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs