Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

I have a mixed group from Weimaraner to Yorkie who are always going in or out. I was thinking of a patio doggie door but wonder if it is worth the cost. The weim knows how to open the door but she just doesn't close it. The screen door with opening worked for a while until she decided she didn't like the screen and pulled it off the door. I figure the plastic opening won't last long either.

Also, are they easy to install?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
We have a friend who is a police officer who says worst idea ever! They find more kids and thieves break in this way.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:19 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times
I picked up a dog laying in the street by my sons house at 2am in the morning a while ago. My son kept it overnight. It was a sweet, very chubby pitbull. My son said the next morning, hmmmm it might belong to the people in the back of him. I took the dog and knocked on their door. It was. They said they had a doggie door and the dog went out sometime during the night and jumped the 4 foot fence! I also had to tell the guy to put a tag on his dog. If that dog was turned into animal control it would have been put down due to its breed! And she was sooooo sweet! She jumped right in my car! How that fat dog jumped that fence I have no idea. The owner said they would close the doggie door off at night. I personally do not like them. Too many what-ifs could happen.
I am a firm believer in never letting a dog/dogs unattended too when you are not around or paying attention. Anything can happen.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
While agree with other posters, we have a doggie door, have had for 6 years. We've had to replace the flap twice ($30 I think -- depends on the size) PetSafe is the name on my flap. Very easy to install, although we've had to resort to other locking mechanisims and foam for the air openings. The dogs had to be trained to use it, never have had a wild animal come in. Any burgler who is brave enough to squeeze through a doggie door and not know what size/kind of dog is on the other side, well good luck. We have a 4' fence as well, our dogs do not jump the fence. Most people will agree with the previous posters, but we love it. Best $100 we spend on them. We have the panel that fits into a 6' slider. If it is raining, and the dogs decide to play in it as well as the mud....well that could be a mess. They've never done that though....knock on wood.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I have a 6ft privacy fence so them jumping the fence isn't going to happen ..plus I am home 99% of the time anyway. I also live in a very small town where most ppl don't lock their doors although having lived in a big city I do lock mine.
There are times when I think it might be a good idea so I wouldn't have to hurry home to let them out if by chance I did go out for more than an hour.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
I'm not a fan of them, my main gripe is if your dog uses it, lays and falls asleep in the sun for a while, he could get overheated and get disoriented before you get home (or if you're already inside, w/o your realizing). Some also can bark when you're not there, they can get stung by a bee or wasp, another animal can get inside or like a previous poster said (and I've heard of), a thief can use it as easily as your dog (I think there was something on uTube about it not long ago, homeowner had been robbed and got a camcorder for inside and lo and behold, it was her nextdoor neighbor kid and his friends, everything was taped <G>. Mine stay inside when we're not home, occasionally we've had to come home early to let them out or they've had to wait but at least I don't have to worry as much as if they were outside.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
I have a dog door that was at the house when we bought it. our yard is fenced. I love the ease of having the dog door, she goes in and out on her own. I never leave it open for her when we are gone. I have taken it down once to clean and put it back with no problem. I do know people do say if you live in a wooded area other animals can get in. prowlers as well, for us the prowlers are not a problem as I said we do not use it when not at home. I like it so much I think if I was ever to move to a place with out one I would miss it and install on right away

Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
keeper -- please, please, no doggy door. we had a terrible story in the news earlier this year here in nc about two dogs who followed another dog inside its house through the doggy door and killed it. i'll include the link, but be warned, it's a terrible, sad, brutal story.

also, i've heard from cops about how doggy doors, even small ones, give easier access to intruders and to wild animals and stray cats.

here's the link. just scroll down to read the story as it progresses. and, please nobody turn this thread into a hate on pits!!!

Kitty Hawk Pit Bulls Euthanized After Killing Lab / NC Outer Banks News & Weather – Ocracoke, Manteo, Nags Head, Cape Hatteras, Kitty Hawk News – Swanquarter, Engelhard, Lake Mattamuskeet, Avon NC, Rodanthe, Oregon Inlet, Roanoke Island – Hyde (http://www.witn.com/outerbanks/headlines/38164724.html - broken link)

Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I also might add...locking it is as good as nothing. The ones we've had in the past had a small hook type latch...Friends of ours thought they would put a piece of wood into the slots for better protection...their teenage son, locked himself out of the house one day and it took nothing for him to put his foot through it...knock the wood out and then crawl in himself. Have some pepper spray handy and anyone could take out a dog that is ready to attack. After the stories our cop friend told us...i would never ever have one again. And this too...small town...Napa, Ca.!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM

36 posts, read 50,087 times
Keeper -

I too live in a small town and I love having my doggie door. So do my dogs. I've never had a problem with wild animals, or people, trying to get in. One of my dogs actually likes to stand at the door with just her head sticking out watching the world in the back yard go by. It's kind of funny when both of them try to get their heads out at the same time (border collie / lab mix and jack russel/dachshund mix).

I think much of it depends on the neighborhood you live in, how your backyard is situated, and your dogs' temperaments. Personally, it was one of the best investments I ever made. And I was able to get it installed myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs