Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 AM

30 posts, read 124,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If you've seen my profile, you've seen my girl. She's a Lab/Shar-Pei mix, so sweet and good natured, but she has severe separation anxiety. She chewed out of two crates (one plastic, one metal) and digs at the wall by the front door if I leave her alone. I've been leaving her out on the patio, or I'd take her with me (for some reason she loves staying in the car) but now with the Texas summer heat coming, I can't do either and can't afford to have her tearing up the walls and such.

I'm looking into no-kill shelters, but if she never gets adopted out will they literally keep her there indefinitely? I doubt people will want her because of this problem.
My dog also has separation anxiety, to the point where she tries to bite us when we leave, not to hurt us but she becomes so freaked that she is out of control, I was told to try Rescue Remedy for pets, I'll let you know how that works out. What I have found that helps is talking to her before I leave (sounds crazy but it really helps) so I explain to her that I'm leaving, I usually tell her that I'm going to the grocery store, how long I'll be gone and then I give her a "job" to do while I'm gone, like watching over the other pets, watching the house, etc. Please try to remember her greatest fear is you leaving her so getting rid of her will only reinforce that and she may be picking up on your thoughts of getting rid of her. The trainer sounds like a great idea and maybe a holistic vet could give you some help on ways to reliever her anxiety and stress. Good luck with your baby.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,119 times
Quote:
Thanks kids. I really appreciate all the input.

To answer some questions, she has chewed her way out of two crates, one metal and one plastic, to the point that she broke teeth and bled every time. It looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre every time I got home; blood splattered all over the walls and puddles of bloody drool on the floor in front of the crate.
We had this happen to our old dog (black lab mix too), people called him "crazy calvin" because he was so crazy. Eventually it stopped (except the sippy cups were alway chewed up) but we always had to leave the blinds pulled up b/c he would rip them down. How old is your dog? MIne was probably 5 before I could leave him out. My current do was ok after 1 year. How much exercise do you give before your gone? I would do atleast 45 minutes vigorous (fast walking/jogging) before you leave because he seems "high energy" as we use to call mine.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
We had this happen to our old dog (black lab mix too), people called him "crazy calvin" because he was so crazy. Eventually it stopped (except the sippy cups were alway chewed up) but we always had to leave the blinds pulled up b/c he would rip them down. How old is your dog? MIne was probably 5 before I could leave him out. My current do was ok after 1 year. How much exercise do you give before your gone? I would do atleast 45 minutes vigorous (fast walking/jogging) before you leave because he seems "high energy" as we use to call mine.
I do walk her, let her run, play with her, but it doesn't help. She's about 3 now.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,162,566 times
the vet wanted me to give one of my dogs a medication like Prozac.
Have you spoken to a vet about trying a medication?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 73,179 times
Have you tried a Kong toy at all?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,330 times
Watch cesar Millan. He has helped many dogs with anxiety. You need to take them on a 40 minute fast bike ride or roller-blading or run. Some dogs need longer. With the heat in Texas, you should do this in the mornings and later at night. Or get a treadmill. They need the exercise 1)to wear them out 2) to have their mind in a great state. You probably need to get a treadmill and run your dog for a few times a day, especially if it is a high-strung dog. I have a doberman puppy that loved digging until I got the bike out daily and I run her for one hour. Not extremely fast the whole time - maybe about 1/3. The rest is a nice jog and you can actually see her concentrate and get in the 'zone'. She is nice and peaceful when we get home.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
Watch cesar Millan. He has helped many dogs with anxiety. You need to take them on a 40 minute fast bike ride or roller-blading or run. Some dogs need longer. With the heat in Texas, you should do this in the mornings and later at night. Or get a treadmill. They need the exercise 1)to wear them out 2) to have their mind in a great state. You probably need to get a treadmill and run your dog for a few times a day, especially if it is a high-strung dog. I have a doberman puppy that loved digging until I got the bike out daily and I run her for one hour. Not extremely fast the whole time - maybe about 1/3. The rest is a nice jog and you can actually see her concentrate and get in the 'zone'. She is nice and peaceful when we get home.
A treadmill for the dog?

Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
A treadmill for the dog?
Yes, seriously. Watch the Dog Whisperer. dogs need to be 'focused' when you are getting out the energy, i.e. no stopping to sniff around, just focus on the run or walk or bike, etc. You can do this with a treadmill, same thing - only walking.

YouTube - Black Lab Learns to Use Treadmill

You can google dog whisperer treadmill and see what you can find. My brat can do it and it's helpful, especially with all the freakin rain we've had lately. Aaaannnnnd, they don't need a tv while doing it!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigafan View Post
Yes, seriously. Watch the Dog Whisperer. dogs need to be 'focused' when you are getting out the energy, i.e. no stopping to sniff around, just focus on the run or walk or bike, etc. You can do this with a treadmill, same thing - only walking.

YouTube - Black Lab Learns to Use Treadmill

You can google dog whisperer treadmill and see what you can find. My brat can do it and it's helpful, especially with all the freakin rain we've had lately. Aaaannnnnd, they don't need a tv while doing it!
Wow, I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Wow, I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.
You are so welcome. Plus you can check out Cesar Millan's book. Really the first book. The second one pretty much says the same thing and talks about his wife a lot, too. His methods are extremely effective. If you can find him on the National Geographic channel, watch it. It seems easier to understand visually than reading it. But, the book does give a lot of the information again, but better for you to absorb after watching the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs