U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2009, 05:18 PM

16,942 posts, read 10,786,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Oh my goodness! It does sound interesting in your house I am surprised the cat didn't claw out the dog's eyes! Well, I sure hope the spay does work. I worry that my pup is going to go into cardiac arrest as she pants so when she does this. Thanks for the reassurance that some doggies just do this!
Spaying will not change this behavior. It is normal dominance behavior all dogs exhibit, regardless of their sex, breed, or whether they are fixed or not.

Rapid breathing or panting in dogs (assuming they have not exerted themselves of course) is also an indication that they are playing, or want to play.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,428,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I agree. Two females fighting is pretty serious stuff, regardless of the size. Females have been known to fight until one is dead. Spaying may not fix this problem either. You need to step up and get control of these girls now.
Gosh, I have thought they've been playing this whole time. Neither one has hurt the other one. They were placed as babies together so they were with each other before me. Are you sure about this concern?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,232,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Blondie, are your two Dogos??!!!????
Those two in the pic above are mixes. They are small, only 45 lbs. I rescued those two from the same kill shelter about a month apart. Those two females stick together like they were sisters. They sleep, eat and do everything together. One will not even go out without the other. It was my 63lb older mix that got wierd and would act real funny around the others, even my little chihuahua. I had to rehome a pekingese years ago because she attacked that one a number of times. She would start growling wars with the peke and then would attack him. It was an ongoing thing with her, she just got funny (meaning something not right) over the years. At 4 years of age I noticed a personality change in her. That was Suzie I am talking about. Her pic is in my profile album.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 PM

24,757 posts, read 27,174,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
That is just normal behavior for some dogs. I always say they are a little mixed up. Your pup may still do it after the spay and continue for years. You should see what goes on in my home...... My 65 lb Shepard/mix Ginger used to hum-p my male Persian cat years ago. My Moms little 12 lb male neutered Pom used to hum-p my 65 lb. Ginger. My little neutered male Chihuahua has a stuffy he hum-ps under my coffee table day after day. My Princess, a 60 lb spayed female Pitbull humps my bed pillows and so does my female Lab/mix Jenny. Any pillow they will hum-p.
There is no way to stop it.....doggies will be doggies!
And some kitties will be kitties too... my brother's cat Studley humps anything fuzzy, and has a mink stole "girlfriend." Yes, he lives up to his name! As for my dog, he is neutered and still humps my roommate's (female) dog every chance he gets - along with select other dogs, male or female. He's not doing it for sexual pleasure, since nothing... ummmmm... comes out. They just do it for dominance, play, and sometimes the sheer fun of it.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

7,622 posts, read 7,353,762 times
Quote:
I have an appointment to get my dog spayed on 5/27. She is a 10 month old shih tzu. Problem is - she won't stop chasing my other pup and jumping on her back to "you know" or try to "you know." Is this normal behavior? Yes, I am sure she is a girl. But she pants and this is driving both me and my other pup crazy. What can I do to stop this until she gets spayed? Or is this even because she is having hormone shifts? Thanks in advance.

SO she is gay. You need to support her!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,424,513 times
Quote:
Gosh, I have thought they've been playing this whole time. Neither one has hurt the other one. They were placed as babies together so they were with each other before me. Are you sure about this concern?

It doesn't matter if they have grown up together, when dogs start to mature they want to challenge each other. Sometimes it doesn't go very far and other thimes it escaldes into full blown fights. And females seem to be much more serious abouth this then males.

All I'm saying is you need to watch what is going on between the two. Nothing wrong with playing, but you need to be aware that if one is showing more signs of dominance over the other then you could have a problem as they both mature. I would start with not allowing one dog to hump the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs